Network Drive Question

runescapeloser22

So I have a network drive with all my music on it, and I can't access it. I was able to access it a week ago and then it just stopped working. All the connections are fine, but when I go to "Map Network Drive" (this is on Vista) and type "\\nas\media" it says:

Windows cannot access \\nas\media

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

When I click Diagnose it says:

Windows sent the request to the DNS server and the server responded that the name was unknown.

I don't know much about this kind of thing, so can someone help me?

To follow on from Clare.

Make sure you can ping the server

start -> search box ->[type] cmd [enter] -> [type] ping nas [enter]

If that times out try typing this into the cmd window

ipconfig/flushdns

If it still doesn't work the issue is with the NAS box.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

runescapeloser22 might also want to check what their NAS device shows as on their router's DNS list. It could be possible it got changed somehow, even though this possibility is VERY unlikely. :geek: ... Of course, if it has happened, it could be a signal of a hacker in the network, or someone else having changed the DNS name that is provided to the router. :uhh:

~D. V. "Weirder network issues have happened..." Devnull

(OT: BTW, is this the same person who had a network space allocated for them by their dad? If so, they may wish to ask their dad a few questions.)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

runescapeloser22 might also want to check what their NAS device shows as on their router's DNS list. It could be possible it got changed somehow, even though this possibility is VERY unlikely. :geek: ... Of course, if it has happened, it could be a signal of a hacker in the network, or someone else having changed the DNS name that is provided to the router. :uhh:

~D. V. "Weirder network issues have happened..." Devnull

(OT: BTW, is this the same person who had a network space allocated for them by their dad? If so, they may wish to ask their dad a few questions.)

Haha how did you remember that? Yes I'm pretty sure its me your thinking about. It started working the day after I posted this, and hasn't gone down since. I didn't do anything to it, just went a second time to make sure everything was plugged in.

<<<Quote Snip>>>

Haha how did you remember that? Yes I'm pretty sure its me your thinking about.

It dawned on me that someone was asking questions in regard to a NAS device previously. I wasn't sure if it was you or someone else, that's why I posted the 'OT' question. Glad to know I guessed right, though. ::'

It started working the day after I posted this, and hasn't gone down since. I didn't do anything to it, just went a second time to make sure everything was plugged in.
Mysterious ... I think this is the weirdest glitch I've ever seen. :o ... Let's hope it doesn't come back, eh? :-s

~D. V. "I think this takes a '8' or '9' on my 'weird-o-meter'..." Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

It started working the day after I posted this, and hasn't gone down since. I didn't do anything to it, just went a second time to make sure everything was plugged in.
Mysterious ... I think this is the weirdest glitch I've ever seen. :o ... Let's hope it doesn't come back, eh? :-s

~D. V. "I think this takes a '8' or '9' on my 'weird-o-meter'..." Devnull

Could it have something to do with the fact that I lost power 4 different times the day before?

Could it have something to do with the fact that I lost power 4 different times the day before?

Actually, that probably has everything to do with it.

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

Actually, that probably has everything to do with it.
I would also tend to agree. :|

Power loss with equipment has done literally everything from shorting out stuff forever to leaving it just slightly funky. Heck, I've been the victim of power loss a few times, including a TV that doesn't work anymore. So, I have taken a few measures (obviously with family and such) to make sure that kind of thing will not happen again. :geek:

runescapeloser22, if that NAS device doesn't have a UPS device providing power backup, then I recommend you get one and put it into place. That will counteract most any future chance of problems caused by power loss. And BTW, if you wish to know what brand of UPS to buy, I recommend Belkin's UPS line. When it comes right down to it, they've got rather good power protection. (Which is why I'm a user, with my family, of one.) 8-)

~Mr. D. V. "When it comes to PCs, power backup is critical." Devnull

Power loss is both annoying and unpredictable, unfortunately.
That's why it is good to have a UPS unit backing you up... So that you're not at the mercy of power problems. 8-)

~D. V. "UPS = Good" Devnull