New Core i7

Deathmath

Great price for the cpu, not so great price for the motherboard+memories. The 920 is really price worthy for it's performance, but then you have a motherboard and memories which costs the same as the cpu, which doesn't make it really price worthy (unless you have the money and can use all the power). For converting movies, making zip-files etc, it's much quicker with it than a Q9650 for example (if i don't remember wrong, the three i7's we can buy now are actually server cpu's).

But for a gamer, it's not worth the price (about 1-10fps boost)... Get a E8600, clock it to 4ghz and throw in a 4870x2.

One of the problems with the i7 is that it's very sensitive to volt, even tho it overclocks very good, you gotta be more carefull with it than any core 2 of today.

The new mainstream cpu's from Intel doesnt come until 2nd or 3rd quarter next year (again, if my memory is correct).

A side note; I was surprised to know yesterday, that AMD will keep Deneb (updated Phenom) until 2011 (according to their roadmap). It performs (according to some tests, don't have the links) better (don't remember how many %) than the current core 2's, but will have an attractive price.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Wouldn't really call it revolutionary, the i7 series is just a glorified collection of quad-core processors.

It has intelligent power-management, so if you aren't multitasking or gaming, it can place the unused cores in 0-consumption mode which will take up significantly less electricity than it's earlier counterparts. It also has improvements to hyperthreading.

Judging from benchmark results I read from a few months back though, it's stunningly more effective than the previous quadcore processors, so you wont be forking out money for mere 'minor improvements' if you upgrade

It looks like a dramatic improvement over the previous line of quad-core Intels, but I think I'll wait about six months before I think about buying one. The processor's price pretty much hit my expectations for an initial launch, but the motherboard's price is pretty silly.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Wouldn't really call it revolutionary, the i7 series is just a glorified collection of quad-core processors.

You're in potatoes. First, it has 6 cores, and they are able to process 2 informations at the same time. Well, as of now, I'm tired, so I may edit this post tomorrow when I may remember more.

You're in potatoes. First, it has 6 cores, and they are able to process 2 informations at the same time. Well, as of now, I'm tired, so I may edit this post tomorrow when I may remember more.

No, it has 4 cores which becomes 8 (2 threads per core) with hyperthreading.

There will come 6/8 core Nehalems, but not yet.

The only current actual 6 core is a couple of Xeon's.

After frequenting the tech forum for years, I wouldn't really want to spread false information, all three i7 processors are currently quad-core even according to Intel:

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/ ... 11comp.htm

Initial products based on this microarchitecture are expected to be in production in the fourth quarter of this year. These [i7] processors will feature Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology, also known as simultaneous multi-threading, and are capable of handling eight software "threads" on four processor cores.

As Joe said, they are "practically" 8-core;with hyperthreading. They are still quadcore processors, so maybe your teacher was confused on the subject. All of the Nehelam models released yesterday are quads with no mention of six cored processors

I'm sorry, I got misslead by the A+ teacher, I don't know where he got that bogus information, but the achitecture teacher talked about it and said pretty much what you guys are saying.

Again, I'm sorry.

Looks good, but I reckon I'll have to wait till I get my next computer before I upgrade, mainly because I am not in a position to upgrade my computer.

P4 Prescott HT 3.2GHz ftw indeed :wall:

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

So should I wait out instead of buying the Q6600 at the moment? Will it have the price drops as dramatic as the previous four core processors, or will it remain the "high end processor" for awhile?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

So should I wait out instead of buying the Q6600 at the moment? Will it have the price drops as dramatic as the previous four core processors, or will it remain the "high end processor" for awhile?

It should drop after i while (don't know how many months, maybe 6+?), it's targeted for overclockers and enthusiasts. It will remain high-end thru it's life-cykle. I don't think you will be using all it's power... Unless you are working with rendering and other heavy programs.

It's better if you plan on getting a computer, to create a build-thread. The Q66 will (i assume) be more than enough for you.

I'm gonna support AMD next year and buy one of the Denebs lol.

Great price for the cpu, not so great price for the motherboard+memories. The 920 is really price worthy for it's performance, but then you have a motherboard and memories which costs the same as the cpu, which doesn't make it really price worthy (unless you have the money and can use all the power). For converting movies, making zip-files etc, it's much quicker with it than a Q9650 for example (if i don't remember wrong, the three i7's we can buy now are actually server cpu's).

But for a gamer, it's not worth the price (about 1-10fps boost)... Get a E8600, clock it to 4ghz and throw in a 4870x2.

One of the problems with the i7 is that it's very sensitive to volt, even tho it overclocks very good, you gotta be more carefull with it than any core 2 of today.

The new mainstream cpu's from Intel doesnt come until 2nd or 3rd quarter next year (again, if my memory is correct).

A side note; I was surprised to know yesterday, that AMD will keep Deneb (updated Phenom) until 2011 (according to their roadmap). It performs (according to some tests, don't have the links) better (don't remember how many %) than the current core 2's, but will have an attractive price.

And for somebody planning to get a Q6600 for his new cpu would the lowest model be of any comparison?

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

And for somebody planning to get a Q6600 for his new cpu would the lowest model be of any comparison?

What? I don't understand what you are trying to say. Explain?

Oh wait, hmm... you mean Q66 vs 920?

It depends in what you are doing, mostly gaming and not converting/rendering etc much? Q66. Altho, for gaming a high clocked duo is often better. Q66 is still great value for it's money and a really good chip for overclocking. As i stated above, the new 1366 socket is aimed at overclockers and enthusiasts.

Here's some results (not including q66, but q9450 which is 267mhz faster, 4mb more cache and a higher bus speed (300):

http://sweclockers.com/articles_show.php?id=6125&page=7

http://sweclockers.com/articles_show.php?id=6125&page=8