Safe to OC now? (After BSOD)

Nadril

Just got back from fixing a nasty BSOD I was getting. Apparently what happened, was this:

The temperature fluctuates in my room a lot depending on how it is outside. I'm guessing that it was hot enough in the room that the hard drive (IIRC) went into it's safe fail mode, and shut down. No big deal, right?

Well later on today I was just browsing the web and bam, crash. Finally managed to catch a glimpse of the BSOD that I got, looked it up and it was a "Divide by Zero" error or a fail safe error. So I unclocked my processor to normal FSB speeds, and it works.

So I'm wondering, would it be safe to overclock my processor back up? I don't think it was ever it that got overheated (just the PC got confused, or something) and my temps are currently:

CPU: 40C

HD0: 43C

GPU: 46C

and it's still fairly warm inside my room. Before the crash I had my E4300 @ 2.7ghz 1200FSB, stock 1.8ghz 800FSB. So you can bet that I don't really want to miss my extra 900MHZ, although I don't want to [bleep] up my CPU either.

I would recommend you to -log- your tempratures.

For the cpu, core-temp is great for that (settings, enable logging). For the harddrive, i suppose you could do with speedfan (don't know any other programs for the hd than sandra lite and speedfan), altho speedfan sometimes displays the temp a bit off sometimes.

For gpu i guess rivatuner would be the best, target adapter, hardware monitoring, log to file.

Fire up a demanding game you have, enable logging play for 5min or so with stock clocks. Open up the the logs and check the temps. Go back, overclock your cpu to maybe 2ghz (and gpu if you overclock that too) and run it again, check the logs, raise your cpu again... play... check logs and continue so until you start seeing too high temps.

Also, to see your bsod: Right click your computer, advanced, start&restart, settings, unclick "reboot automatically".

Bad grammar post@Joe!

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Yeah, I've done all that before Joe (how I achieved the 1200FSB). All I was wondering is if it was safe to do it after the BSOD.

@45C full load right now for the CPU w/o OC.

I'd say yes.

Don't know if you usually log your temps... But when you get back to your overclock it would be good.

There's also cooling for hd's (guess you know that) if it would get too hot.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Did you let your BSOD make a dump file? If so or you don't know try looking in C:\Windows\Minidump and see if there are and DMP files in there close to that date this happened. Here is a guide you an use to help you use Windows Debugger to view the dump file. If it BSOD's again i would try to catch at least the first stop binary and google it. Also are you sure this is from over heating. It sounds like it could be but it could also be other things? You don't have you computer in a closed cabinet or structure do you?

Did you let your BSOD make a dump file? If so or you don't know try looking in C:\Windows\Minidump and see if there are and DMP files in there close to that date this happened. Here is a guide you an use to help you use Windows Debugger to view the dump file. If it BSOD's again i would try to catch at least the first stop binary and google it. Also are you sure this is from over heating. It sounds like it could be but it could also be other things? You don't have you computer in a closed cabinet or structure do you?

I wrote down the BSOD and googled it. Said it could be due to a number of things, one which was the failsafe activation from overheating. I assumed that was it because once I clocked back down to 800MHZ it worked fine (wouldn't even boot windows otherwise).

And my case is just on my desk. It's been working fine now ever since, haven't OC'd again yet however.

Possibly.

I've had it overclocked for 8-9 months now with no problems, today was the only problem I ever had. I may just keep it @ 1.8ghz though, I dunno. Haven't noticed a drastic loss in performance so far.

Ok, looks like I'm safe. Just put it back up to 2.7ghz (1200FSB) which was what I had before, and it ran at a modest 48C on Full CPU load (with a stress test program so, honestly, it'll almost never reach that).

It's at 37C right now idle, which.. is kind of funny. Just rebooted so probably why. :lol: Hell, I'd try and go 1250FSB or 1300FSB for a 2.8-2.9ghz, but I think the CPU doesn't like me going much higher than 1200 even though temperature wise it'd be fine.

Possibly.

I've had it overclocked for 8-9 months now with no problems, today was the only problem I ever had. I may just keep it @ 1.8ghz though, I dunno. Haven't noticed a drastic loss in performance so far.

hrmmm, that's a good point

no idea

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

Possibly.

no idea

Then why would you post?

Possibly.

no idea

Then why would you post?

Yeah, especially considering the problem has been fixed even before you posted. #-o

I had some occasional BSOD's running at 3.01ghz with my E4500 (2.2ghz stock), BSOD'ing every couple of hours playing WoW or playing CoD 4 for <30mins but after de-clocking it to 2.8ghz, I've never had a BSOD and didn't notice mouch of a performance loss.

eggzs.png

The processors tend to degrade after a year (9 months is close enough) and require more voltage to run at your desired overclock. Up the voltage one notch and it should be stable again. Note: when I say degrade, don't be worried because these chips can last many years with a modest overclock like yours. (I have the same processor and this happened to me)

goldenblade995.png