Buying an HDTV.

Caxis

My dad wants to get an HD LCD TV for Christmas this year, but we don't really know what to look for. I need to know what a good response time, refresh rate, contrast ratio etc. would be. We're looking at something that's around 42-48 inches or so, and 1080p.

Thanks for any help.

I'd go with a plasma instead of LCD, in my opinion they give a better picture. My basic advice is to go to a electronic store and just look at their tv selection. Vizio makes a really good affordable HDTV, but I don't know if they sell them in Canada though.

tFtfA.jpg

I'd go with a plasma instead of LCD, in my opinion they give a better picture. My basic advice is to go to a electronic store and just look at their tv selection. Vizio makes a really good affordable HDTV, but I don't know if they sell them in Canada though.

Plasma is much more fragile than LCD and has less longevity, so I still would go for LCD if I were him.

And you say he should go for Vizio? Yes that's affordable, but there is a reason. Like when we bought our hdtv, we had finished with the choice of an LG 780p and a Vizio 1080p. Guess which one we took --> the LG one, it had a much better picture. I found funny that it was like that since the vizio had more p and also had more contrast rate.

I agree, plasma > lcd

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

Hmm, my grandfather is in the market for an HDTV as well, so I must watch this thread (although we're a country south of Canada, I'm sure I could find similar options as the ones suggested).

As far as the plasma vs LCD debate, I personally would like a plasma display over LCD. Although they aren't as long lasting (well, getting closer, but LCDs still have a slight edge), they provide a better picture, due mostly to more accurate and richer blacks and darker colors, but again, it's getting closer.

I found an enlightening article on cnet about plasma vs lcd: http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/0,239035250,240036500,00.htm

If it's anything like monitors, I'd choose a Plasma TV (though with a tight budget, it may not be possible). My dad and I have monitors that are about the same size and resolution, but his looks a lot better than mine (his is a plasma, mine is a LCD).

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

Plasma is much more fragile than LCD and has less longevity, so I still would go for LCD if I were him.

And you say he should go for Vizio? Yes that's affordable, but there is a reason. Like when we bought our hdtv, we had finished with the choice of an LG 780p and a Vizio 1080p. Guess which one we took --> the LG one, it had a much better picture. I found funny that it was like that since the vizio had more p and also had more contrast rate.

I can't explain the results you found with the two TVs but,

I really would not recommend a LCD if this TV is going to be placed in like the living room or something. I got my own LCD 21in 720p HDTV for college and it has some bad viewing angles. At my home in Washington we have like a 50in (my dad went overboard on the size, if you ask me) plasma in the living room and the thing is amazing, great picture, you can view it from all angles without losing picture quality unlike an LCD. I would definitely read that CNET article or pass it along to your dad.

tFtfA.jpg