Sluggish laptop

imbackstinkers

Okay im having a problem with my dell latitude laptop, everything is fine at first but it gets slower and slower the longer i stay on, i go to task manager and it says that the cpu usage is 100%,so i stop a few of the processes running until only firefox and crictical processes are running, 15 minutes late the cpu usage is 100% again, ive run virus scans with norton (used then uninstalled), avg (uninstalled),mcafee(same) and spybot search and destroy. They all got nothing. What could be making my pc so slow

Graphics card, on random occasions, pink appears in the background on the laptop, it does not cover the whole screen, it can just be seen in the background, and when it appears the computer crashes,the pink is of transparent colour btw.

Ok.

First download and run CCleaner (it will make the next steps a little quicker).

Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

Run a scan using it and delete any junk it finds.

Now do the following;

Start -> [search for]dxdiag[select and run]

Find out your graphics card, it should be on one of the pages which pop-up.

If your graphics card is nNivida go to nvidia.com, ATI go to AMD.com or Intel go to Intel.com.

Download and install the latest drivers for your video card.

Now run Windows Updates and ensure your laptop is upto date.

If your PC is still slow post back.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

What's your machine's specs, and what programs are you running whenever you turn on your machine?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Right off the top, kill both of the messengers, and only allow them to start when you activate them. You also forgot to post your graphics card stats as well, run dxdiag and tell us what you've got.

While you do that, why don't you try defragmenting your hard disk? Run the defrag program, and that should get rid of some of the cruft.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I would still try to run scans with good antiviruses. All the antiviruses you used (listed in your first post) are weak and do not detect much, while most of them are very heavy on the CPU usage. Spybot S&D is usually very good though as antispyware =\. I would try Avira Antivir/Avast if I were you, and although malwarebytes is very good, I would still run a shot with Ad-Aware.

Do you have enough available hard drive memory? Anything less than 500MB of free hard drive memory is gonna really slow your computer down.

What process is making the CPU go at 100%? Firefox?

Btw, is your laptop overheating?

dorcus0.png

"The best defence is to stay out of range" - French proverb

Bad luck happens. Learn and get over it.

Could you look in the process tab which process is taking up all the memory (k)?

Do you have enough available hard drive memory? Anything less than 500MB of free hard drive memory is gonna really slow your computer down.

False, it's 15% of free space on the hard drive, as files would be starting to pretty much cross-link. 500MB is very small nowadays for hard drive space.