Phantom Folder

This is seriously starting to aggravate me..

There is a folder on the desktop of my grandmother's computer that I cannot get rid of..

It has no title, double-clicking it does nothing. Delete does nothing, safe mode doesn't help. I try to go to properties [security] in safe mode and I can't even get to the properties screen..

IRKAa.jpg

probaly a silly question, but you scaned her pc right?

because my brothers pc had something kind of like that, turned out to be some kinda spyware.

that was a program though.... sorry if i'm not much help here.

Have you tried logging in as the admin and then deleting the folder?

I little more info regarding OS and stuff would be useful.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

See if you can delete it from the command line. I've had that happen before, and that's how I got rid of it.

Make a new .bat file on the desktop saying "command" (make a new textfile, write the word "command" in it, and save it with the .bat extention)

Double click the batch file (.bat). You should get the command line on the desktop. Type "dir" to see all the files on the desktop. Delete the folder by typeing "del ". Say yes to all the prompts, and the folder should be gone.

WinXP Home, and she is admin, Matt..

PhrstBrn, the folder doesn't have a name, would it still show up?

Actually, she's not the admin. Boot it into safe mode and delete the file when you are logged in as "Administrator"

Also, grab an iso of Knoppix too. That should be a last resort, but it will work.

I thought that an administrator account was the exact same as administrator?
My account IS the adminitrator account, not just an account with Admin priverleges.

Windows XP has both an account called "Administrator" and an account type called administrator. Put simply, the Administrator account has far more power than an account of type administrator.

In Windows XP Home the Administrator account can only be reached in safe mode (for security reasons, presumably).

Go to C: drive, documents and settings, "your account name" folder, desktop, and try to delete it from there. If it does not appear there, then it's probably a bug, a glitch, or malicious software. OR you could try restoring your entire comp...

Sup noobs.

Did you ever sort this Wyrm by logging in as the Administrator? :?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Actually, no, nothing I tried would fix it..

I ended up fixing it by complete accident. Her camera came with some photoalbum software or something, and I got pissed that it added these icons, and I couldn't get an option to delete them or anything, so I found and deleted the registry entries for them. I guess I messed-up one of them.

When I had to uninstall/reinstall the program for something, the screwed-up icon popped back to what it used to be, and it now had an option to remove it. So I did. :)

IRKAa.jpg