Duncmac's Crafting guide, revised [experience rates added!]

duncmac

IN PROGRESS

Hey there everyone, my name is duncmac. I achieved the level of 99 crafting on 8.24.08 after

months of crafting, and have no regrets, and have obtained a huge sense of accomplishment.

I'm assuming if you're reading this guide, you too are looking to level craft, and possibly even

enough to also obtain the most beautiful crafting cape =D> . Therefore, I now find myself writing

a guide, that answers questions I'm asked probably 20 or 30 times a day, which also happens to

be my first guide, and i hope you may find it useful.

the guide is constructed as follows:

[*:3ofd20sw] basics, getting started. (1-10)

[*:3ofd20sw] progression, faster xp, and profit(10+)

[*:3ofd20sw] emerald bracelets (30+)

[*:3ofd20sw] glass blowing (33+)

[*:3ofd20sw] battle staffs (54+)

[*:3ofd20sw] dragon leather work(63+)

[*:3ofd20sw] free players

__________________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________________

[hide=Getting started][*:3ofd20sw] Getting started (lvl 1-10)

[/hide]

[hide=lvl 10+, bowstrings!]once you have reached level 10 crafting you can begin to turn quite a profit on your

experience gains. I, as well as many other crafters, would HIGHLY recommend the making

of bowstrings. These are members only. With bowstrings you may collect and pick your

own flax, the raw material needed to make a bowstring, however I find because this takes

so much extra time, you can still double your money by buying your flax off of other players

or on the grand exchange. Once you have your flax, I recommend you spin it in the Lumbridge

castle. Banking on the top floor, get a full load of flax, go down the staircase one room.

in the Duke's bedroom is a spinning wheel. Spin your flax here. Bank on the top floor, and

repeat. this is good all the way up to either 30, 33, 46, or even 63. from there it will tie into

the following methods.

xp rate:

i find using the spinning wheel in lumbridge castle you can gain about 15k xp per hour,

cash rate:

i find using this method, you also PROFIT 90k or so an hour.[/hide]

[hide=emerald bracelets, the best balance of cost and speed. (30+)]At 30, it becomes a good idea to take the path i did to 99. Emerald bracelets. From

here it's only about 200,000 bracelets to 99. Buy emeralds, precut, on the grand exchange.

Often you will need to offer max offer. Also buy your gold bars. You will also need a bracelet

mould, something you can buy from the crafting shop in al kharid or from the G.E.

To make bracelets, or any other piece of jewelery, you will need to carry in your inventory

your mould, the gold bars, and any gems you may wish to put into the jewelery. This

requires one gold bar per gemstone. Use your gold bar on a furnace, then click the piece of

jewelery you wish to make. There IS a right click "make x" option that comes in handy.

I would reccommend the port phasmatys furnace, or even better, the one in Edgeville after

having completed the varrock achievement diary. why? take a look.

2e1ety8.png

now the math?

xp rates:

using edgeville furnace (accessed wearing varrock armour)

i find with run on, max speed, focusing, about 60k xp an hour.

costs:

based on current GE prices not all mid, rather buy/sell realistically (1.13.09)

loss of 11k per 1k bracelets

from lvl 30-99 you lose about 2,25m cash.[/hide]

[hide=glass blowing, 33 or 46 and on]at 33 and 46 glass items become a focus. 33 being glass vials, and 46 being unpowered

orbs which are used for battle staffs. to make glass items you need a glassblowing pipe and

molten glass which is either obtained through purchase or by using a bucket of sand on soda

ash which is from burning seaweed. Use your molten glass on the glassblowing pipe, and once

again, a "make all" option IS available. making this quite fast. This is substantially higher in

loss than emerald bracelets would be, however at 46, blowing the unpowered orbs, it is also

a little bit faster.

xp rates:

vials: about 75k xp hourly

unpowered orbs: about 110k xp hourly

costs, brace yourself:

i find on vials, once again, based on realistic buying and selling prices, not mid/market price,

at 365 per molten glass buying, and selling the items you make on the grand exchange...

loss on vials ea: about 300

loss on vials to 99: only about 111,600,000 coins. cheap? heck yes!? :-#

loss on unpowered orb ea: 152

loss on unpowered orb to 99: 37,500,000 a little cheaper.[/hide]

[hide=battle staves (54+)]starting at level 54 you can make battlestaffes. First water, then earth staffs at 58, fire at 62,

and finally air staffs at 66. All of these are a very low cost way to craft, even if you decide to alch

your final product, making them a very good compromise in speed and cost. The true problem is

obtaining the battle staffs. there is such a high demand for them that when they're sold on forums

they go real quickly, and since it isn't a raw material you can't buy more than 100 every 4 hours on

the GE. To make a battlestaff you need two main components, a battle staff, and a powered orb

of some sort. these will be listed as "water orb" "earth orb" "fire orb" and "air orb" respectively.

All you need to do is simply use the orb on the battlestaff. As i said, the battlestaffs are hard

to come by, only being able to find 100 at a time on the GE and then however many you can buy

from zaff, in the varrock staff shop. This of course, does vary based on what level of the varrock

achievement you have completed.

none - 8 staffs daily

easy - 16 staffs daily

medium - 32 staffs daily

hard - 64 staffs daily

now the xp rates?

i'll need someone to run a trial. i'll do one later today.

loss?

based on GE prices,

water are 108 loss each, to 99, 13.9m

earth are 94 loss each, to 99, 10.7m

fire are 239 loss each, to 99, 24.6m

air are 241 loss each, to 99, 22.6m[/hide]

[hide=dragonhide armour, beats glass. cost is about the same, much faster.]At 63 crafting you can begin to make green dragonhide bodies, often considered the best

way to level. It finds a balance between cost and speed that for many is ideal. To do this you

will either buy green hides or green d-leathers on the GE or from other players. If you buy

green dragonhides it IS a little cheaper than green d-leathers, but is also slower because you

will need to tan them yourself in Al Kharid or the crafting guild. Just like cowhide leathers, with

dragon leathers you use a needle and thread to make whatever items you must make. The

process is the same for each dragonhide type, but i would not advise making items other than

dragonhide bodies, with the exception of black chaps, which i would not recommend due to the

extreme cost of doing so, at a slower xp rate than any of the dhide bodies.

required levels:

green bodies, level 63

blue bodies, level 71

red bodies, level 77

black chaps, level 82

black bodies, level 84

xp rates:

green dragonhide bodies: 185k xp an hour

blue dragonhide bodies: 210k xp an hour

red dragonhide bodies: 235k xp an hour

black dragonhide chaps: 175k xp an hour

black dragonhide body: 260k xp an hour

the loss? huge. rates:

based on realistic buying and selling prices, buying pretanned leathers.

green dragonhide bodies loss: 1320k per 1k bodies, 89.9m to 99

blue dragonhide bodies loss: 1426k per 1k bodies, 82.9M to 99

red dragonhide bodies loss: 3825k per 1k bodies, 188.9M to 99

black dragonhide? dont bother.[/hide]

[hide=Free Player Tips][*:3ofd20sw] Free Players Tips

Being a free player makes crafting a bit more difficult. Follow the starting out tips that are listed above, both of which must be continued past level 10. Continue making leather and Clay items, with the best combo of xp being making clay until you can make hardleather bodies at level 28.

once you are a bit higher in level you can continue making hardleather bodies for more experience, or for better experience rates consider cutting gems. This method is VERY fast but extremely expensive as well. Generally you will need to buy uncut gems near max, and sell them cut at mid or below. I will list the levels to cut each nonmember gem below.

sapphire - 20

emerald - 27

ruby - 34

diamond - 43

another method I would consider as a free member is that of making AND enchanting amulets. Given enchanting is V E R Y slow you would gain both decent craft and mage xp. Don't bother with this method until level 50 for ruby amulets (strength) and diamond amulets (power) as the other two are difficult to sell.

I believe the most effective nonmember crafting method is that of making unstrung holy symbols. Granted these are difficult to sell (took me over a week to sell 10 thousand at minimum) they yield good experience rates, for relatively low loss. These sell best if you look on the official runescape forums for people buying unstrung amulets and symbols, as these are strung using a spell in a members only lunar spellbook. Of course, you can always try to sell for minimum on the GE ;)

[/hide]

Best of luck on crafting to whatever level you may desire, and for those of you who seek the highly revered crafting skill cape, trust me, it's well worth it \'

[*:3ofd20sw]Clay items are you best option up until level 10 crafting. Start by gathering clay. If

you are to buy it yourself, look for "clay" as opposed to soft clay. By buying regular

clay, you will save yourself a little bit of money. Convert your clays into soft clays

by using them on a bucket, jug, or bowl of water. Once you have done this, your

clay is ready to be used to create pottery. Truly, the best place to do this for any

player is in barbarian village, banking in Edgeville. See below.

clayroute1.png

of course you can always choose to mine your own clay. always make the highest

level item you can, as that's always the most efficient manner. Make pots 1-7,

pie dishes at 7-8, and then bowls at 8-10. To make pottery use your soft clay

on the pottery wheel, then fire it in the nearby kiln. completed pottery may be put

in your bank, or sold to a general store, as it will not sell on the grand exchange in

the majority of cases.

[*:3ofd20sw]Another possible route is that of leather items. This is not only more expensive

per item if you gather all the materials yourself, it also takes more items to achieve

the same amount of experience. As this is the case, I will leave it at this. Leather

is NOT effective up to level 10 crafting. If you choose to do so, you may tan your

cowhides into leather or hardleather with Ellis in AlKharid at a small price. To make

leather items you need a needle and thread.

jh6a68.png

Duncmac.png

2678th to 99 crafting.

duncmac.png

visit my blog! CLICK HERE!

race to crafting trim with fishing!

flamer_foe.png

eh 6/10...add more things like xp rates, battlestaves, efficiency rates based on several incomes (200k/hr, 400k/hr etc.)

Though that is asking for a lot you're guide doesn't really have anything that's not already common knowledge.

lebst.png

Hey remember me? Guide is Ok But more ways would be great and use
  • [*:2n2r19b6]the[*:2n2r19b6]list[*:2n2r19b6]system

It works well and makes it neat.

i've worked on it for the simple outline format,

and i thought the hide features would make it look a little neater, so you can find what you're looking for easier.

im working on breaking it down into more areas so i can index it easier

and working on adding more images and depth, followed by other methods.

Duncmac.png

2678th to 99 crafting.

duncmac.png

flamer_foe.png

Pretty good, I would delete all the useless line breaks though.

At 63 crafting you can begin to make green dragonhide bodies, often considered the best

way to level. It finds a balance between cost and speed that for many is ideal. you can count

on going 63 to 99 on this method costing upwards of 30 or 40 million coins, but the speed

pushes 200k xp an hour when you're in your groove. To do this you will either buy green hides

or green d-leathers on the GE or from other players. If you buy green dragonhides it IS a little

cheaper than green d-leathers, but is also slower because you will need to tan them yourself

at Aubry or the crafting guild. Just like cowhide leathers, with dragon leathers you use a needle

and thread to make whatever items you must make. Green is always the most cost efficient

but blue, red, and black will be faster, yet more expensive respectively.

Aubry? Aubury? Aub rly? Aubury the rune seller in varrock which probably has 1 crafting? Who r Aubry? Do you Aub rly mean Aubury?

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Aubry? Aubury? Aub rly? Aubury the rune seller in varrock which probably has 1 crafting? Who r Aubry? Do you Aub rly mean Aubury?

way to flame man way to flame =D>

changed.

Duncmac.png

2678th to 99 crafting.

duncmac.png

flamer_foe.png

I like your guide, although I wouldn't agree with you on your fastest leveling. I believe that buying black d-leathers for an average of 3.2k each, then making chaps with them to later sell for 5.9k each would be a much quicker/cheaper alternative.

Green bodies is a widely known idea, just not the cheapest, or quickest.

80aa0daff6.png

Nate's Big Blog

4,000th to 99 crafting, 33,340th to 99 defence, 3,867th to 99 farming, 55,293rd to 99 hitpoints

yeah i tried to include there are other leathers, each of which is a little faster and little more expensive respectively.

im just not sure the way i worded it conveyed the idea well.

Duncmac.png

2678th to 99 crafting.

duncmac.png

flamer_foe.png

way to flame man way to flame =D>

changed.

I didn't mean to global warm :-#

Ilu2

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Hey, it's a work-in-progress, but it can get much better. Are you sure the Exp an hour is only 60k an hour with emerald bracelets? I timed that I could do an inventory (Including all the banking) in about 45 seconds, which equals about 62400 exp an hour, and that was with Sapphire Bracelets. Maybe I'm wrong, I could very well be.

You should mention Neitzenot as a place to craft, in my opinion it THE BEST place to smelt anything, you don't need to rotate the camera at all (It fits into one screen) and the only closer furnace is in Edgeville, and you need to click on a door for that one, so at the very least it deserves an honorable mention.

It'll get better, everything takes time. =D>

Leman.png

yeah i have yet to get into the nez part since i never bothered using it as i hate questing.

i find, along with several others in my clan chat (crafters 99, a clan chat consisting of around 20 level 99 crafters, including ltangel, the first ever 99 crafter, with intent of providing free crafting assistance) you can get 60-65k xp per hour on emerald bracelets. this accounts for randoms, misses in banking, and other issues causing minor inefficiencies. Given that's only a 5k xp hourly difference, i find it's best simply to list the lower number so i dont get flamers complaining they got 58k xp hourly instead of my stated 65. haha.

its an estimate based more on the reality through experiences of several crafters, as opposed to mathematics based off a time trial in ideal conditions.

Duncmac.png

2678th to 99 crafting.

duncmac.png

flamer_foe.png

As I'm f2p I only looked at the last Sections lolz.

In My opion the best way to train crafting without having any loses is Making emerald rings. ^^

Emerald: 655 G.p.

+Gold bar: 180 G.p.

=835 G.p.

And how Perfect can it be?

Emerald Ring: 835 G.P. ^^

So no loss at all You can even make profit it.

And yes Emerald rings Do sell at GE I made 1k rings myself ^^.

sig8.png

65 67 65 68 60 91 59 64

sig9.png

82 89 84 93 83 83 82 71

sigforilufyoubyhawkxs.jpg

CLICK ME.

If U click this I won't eat your brain! I Plomise

angel2w.gifThank you Hawkxs For the awesome siggy!

As I'm f2p I only looked at the last Sections lolz.

In My opion the best way to train crafting without having any loses is Making emerald rings. ^^

Emerald: 655 G.p.

+Gold bar: 180 G.p.

=835 G.p.

And how Perfect can it be?

Emerald Ring: 835 G.P. ^^

So no loss at all You can even make profit it.

And yes Emerald rings Do sell at GE I made 1k rings myself ^^.

not bad. i'll be sure to put it in the next update.

Duncmac.png

2678th to 99 crafting.

duncmac.png

flamer_foe.png

never heard of such a thing. taking a break for 99 hunt and a quick 35m... but sounds like i should go get lunar quests done now and figure those things out. thanks for the tips

Duncmac.png

2678th to 99 crafting.

duncmac.png

flamer_foe.png

never heard of such a thing. taking a break for 99 hunt and a quick 35m... but sounds like i should go get lunar quests done now and figure those things out. thanks for the tips

crafting yak hide legs are nice too

free exp and great for junk

hides are 210 ea

legs 225 ea

exp is 32 exp ea

foukouei.png

• 2 weeks later...