Grand Exchange Price Updating

CookMePlox

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Hello! I'm making some RuneScape guides that involve Grand Exchange prices, and I'd like it if I didn't have to update the prices every day. Is there any way I could get a code of some sort that would have the updated price for each item?

Thank you,

CMP

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

The legal way to do that is to set up a PHP script that pulls the information on an item (when requested by one player). This involves learning something about parsing web pages with PHP; I think that Pixel2Life might be able to help you.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

The legal way to do that is to set up a PHP script that pulls the information on an item (when requested by one player). This involves learning something about parsing web pages with PHP; I think that Pixel2Life might be able to help you.

That is what i would do. Just cURL the the items page and regex the return to pull just that data that you need.

Erm, I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what that means. Where could I find a good, very basic PHP tutorial? Also, is there any way I could use the PHP code on a forum, such as this PHPBB3 one?

Thanks in advance,

CMP

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

Erm, I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what that means. Where could I find a good, very basic PHP tutorial? Also, is there any way I could use the PHP code on a forum, such as this PHPBB3 one?

Thanks in advance,

CMP

Don't take this the wrong way cause everyone has to start some where but, i doubt your going to be able to build your own forum system any time soon. You won't have near the experience to make it secure and fast. Why do you need ot make your own there are plenty of free ones? Also w3schools has a decent tutorial.

Thanks in advance,

CMP

Don't take this the wrong way cause everyone has to start some where but, i doubt your going to be able to build your own forum system any time soon. You won't have near the experience to make it secure and fast. Why do you need ot make your own there are plenty of free ones? Also w3schools has a decent tutorial.

No no, I said that wrong. I want to put the PHP code on this forum.

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

Thanks in advance,

CMP

I doubt that. Ask the admins.

Thanks in advance,

CMP

You cannot. Only BBCode is allowed, anything else is a security risk.

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

Thanks in advance,

CMP

And I suppose there is no way to "translate" the PHP to BBCode?

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

Thanks in advance,

CMP

And I suppose there is no way to "translate" the PHP to BBCode?

You can only use the preset BBCodes that come with phpBB, or ones that our administrators have set.

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

If you learn php to the point where you can get the data you need, you can make code which translates it into a picture based system. You can link the users to your website, they can enter the item they wish to do the GE thing on and then it will generate an image you can link back to,which updates the price automatically. Its kind of like making a php siggy system.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I take that from the quote-pyramid that you want to do your own PHP tests. My advice is that you find a system at home that you can use, and put Apache and PHP on them. PHP can be found a php.net, and Apache can be found at apache.org; installation guides for Windows exist if you Google them.

My guess is that it will take quite some time for you to get the skill to get the data you want, so don't feel discouraged, take your time, and have fun with it. :P

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

On the topic of pulling GE data. Is there a lite version of the ge pages similar to the high scores?

As I've been looking at this too.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]