Quest Tree-Diagram

sphinxor86

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Hello everyone, long time player, first time tip.it forum user,

I think it'd be really useful if someone could come up with a tree-diagram for all the quests, by this I mean, a diagram showing which quests are needed as requirements for harder quests. You could even colour code it with red, amber and green for hard medium and easy quests repectively.

I wouldn't know how you'd show isolated quests on it though... (the ones with no requirements for other quests to have been done)... you could just put them on the side....?

Proud owner of Questcape since 4th July 2009!! :D :D

sphinxor_86.png

LOL, I have now :P

Its good :)

Could still have a tree though... if a quest depends on a quest which in turn depends on another quest, it would be easier to visualise....

Still Quest Calc is very useful! Thanks :)

One adjustment that could be made to quest calc is to colour blocks amber when you are one level/requirement away from being able to do the quest?

sphinxor_86.png

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea, here I've made a sample image of the Quest line to While Guthix Sleeps :).

They aren't color coded in any way, but that can easily be changed ;)!

There are LOTS of repeats, so I am going to make the image a bit less cluttered by having the story lines grouped together (e.g. Plague City-Biohazard-Underground Pass, etc.)

chartwgsvj8.jpg

I can make a similar diagram of all the quests that exist, but I wouldn't do it unless the Crew would find it useful :P. It's good to have a visual way of looking at progress (I am a visual learner myself :D).

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

They don't call it the Grandmaster quest for nothing! :P

(even though I found ME2 to be much harder :lol: )

Glad you like it, if we pursue this idea I can color code it in terms of difficulty (Beginner-Grandmaster, just like Jagex rates them) and make it much more concise :).

I think another related idea would be to have the immediate quest tree appear on every quest guide. Example below:

legendschartjw1.jpg

This lets the user know exactly where his or her progress is throughout the quests in the game. Each mini-tree would display the current quest surrounded by the immediate sequels and immediate prequels (no more than that, so only 3 levels).

What's most helpful about this would probably be what comes after the quest, as the prerequisites would already be in the guide. Other paths from the side could converge on WGS (like Defender of Varrock, Summer's End, etc.)

This is *exactly* what I had imagined!

All thats left is a colour coding, red/blue/green = hard/medium/easy!

Indeed, but I was thinking maybe I should wait on the Crew's opinion before I go any further with this :)

Thanks Cow for the input :). I've been giving this some thought, and here be my overall proposal ;) :

• Have a giant mega quest tree diagram as a link under quest guides.

• Users can get the "big picture" and also have a cool and interesting diagram to look at! =P~

• It would be similar to mine but smaller and with less repeated chains so that the image wouldn't be over-sized.

• Individual mini-quest trees on each quest guide.

• Color coded based on Jagex's ratings of Beginner/Novice/Experienced/Master/Grandmaster

• Additional color coding for quests that are in the same storyline.

PM me if you want me to start making the images :)

hmm. there actually was a diagram in the forums at one point, showing ALL of the quests (at that time) and how they link up. The problem is it gets messy, very fast.

If you only want to show them for ONE quest, just in the quest guide ... that would be different. Not sure how useful that is, when the quests are linked right at the top. Click them and you can see the prereqs for each.

However, I'm concerned because just mapping the WGS quest your pic is 435K, and that's as a JPG. That by itself exceeds the size that we normally like our guides to meet. So ... that's a significant issue.

Which is the intention, one quest or all quests in one gigantic pic?

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Which is the intention, one quest or all quests in one gigantic pic?

I'm suggesting both, but with a priority on the first one:

•  
    [*:2kqtx91i]Small diagrams (with 3 parts, the prereqs, current, and future quests) on each quest guide. In JPG format, this should not be a problem in terms of file size. Example here:[hide=Example of a diagram on the Legends' Quest Guide]legendschartjw1.jpg[/hide]

[*:2kqtx91i]One Mega-Diagram that shows all the quests, located on its own page in either a link on the Sidebar or from the Quest List page. The file size would be large, but then again, not as bad as the world map :P.

If you only want to show them for ONE quest, just in the quest guide ... that would be different. Not sure how useful that is, when the quests are linked right at the top. Click them and you can see the prereqs for each.

The most helpful use of the mini-diagrams would be the future quests. For instance, someone doing X quest might not know that by doing so, he/she will later be able to do Y Quest.

The mini-diagrams are more helpful for someone who is doing a bunch of quests at once.

About the large diagram:

I see it like this. Someone is playing RuneScape, and hears about WGS or some other quest with lots of quest prereqs. He/she wonders what he/she needs to do in order to be able to start it (besides skills). While we have the Quest calculator, he/she wants to see the big picture in a visual diagram. He/she realizes easily that there has a long way to go. The giant diagram would benefit in that he/she could section off his progress and plan out his journey.

Like you said, repeats become a problem. It would contain each quest only once, with multiple lines branching out of them, rather than have a lot of unnecessary squares.

It would definitely be a little uncecessary to have the mega-diagram on all the quest guides.

Also, I don't want to feel like I hijacked this thread, Sphinxor can have equal input as well :)

LOL, not at all!! Feel free to highjack the thread! I know when I'm bowing down to my superiors!

My only question would be if it were possible to make an adaptable tree diagram.

Lemme explain:

Say for example I have yet to do Legends Quest.... (which is true)

the pre-requisite quests are:

Hero's Quest, Family Crest, Shilo Village, Underground Pass, and Waterfall Quest. (plus 108 QP, but lets gloss over that).

Lets say I have done all except Underground pass (again true!). Then, with the info that I have input on the Quest Calc, the Tree diagram could show that the pre-requisites are ONLY Underground Quest (with the rest of the options not shown, and accessible only by choice).

But the rest sounds great :thumbsup:

sphinxor_86.png

That seems like a nice idea, it would be a bit more complicated to make though.

•  
    [*:2xe1f2da]One Mega-Diagram that shows all the quests, located on its own page in either a link on the Sidebar or from the Quest List page. The file size would be large, but then again, not as bad as the world map :P.

[hide=Example]sidebarqt.jpg[/hide]

The file size of the Legends' chart is 19.3 KB (19,837 bytes). This is the chart only, not my example image (which has the chart among other things). :P

Here's my personally idea. First off, it would work best for my idea if it was top to bottom. Also, this would require a fair bit of coding.

What I'm thinking is you first off take an image that just shows the Quest at top, and then all the prerequisites below it. So for Legends Quest, it would have Legends Quest in the box at top, and then lines to the boxes containing Hero's Quest, Family Crest, Shilo Village, Underground Pass, and Waterfall Quest. You could then click on each of these individually to extend the prerequisites from that quest down.

So you would have like this:

exampletree.png

You could then click on each individual box and make it show the prerequisites for that. For example, when you click underground pass, it would look like this.

exampletree2.png

You could do this pretty much all the way down the line. This way, you don't have to show the entire thing, when some people might only need to do Waterfall quest, and the prerequisites for that.

Sorry for the bad images, I didn't feel like spending a lot of time making an example. I'm not really that bad with making images :P

Brainymidget.png

multimultiza9.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a brainwave:

tip.it should give you a suggested order of completing the quests you have left over!

For example, not just tree following, but ones that might be most helpful/useful for other, later quests.

And it should also not let you tick off quests on the quest list, if you haven't already ticked off the pre-requisites....

Just extra spices to the Quest diagram soup :lol:

sphinxor_86.png

You can put pictures in your signature (or any post) by using this code:

[img=LINK TO THE IMAGE HERE]

Example of the code for my signature:

[[url=http://forum.tip.it/./viewtopic.php?f=180&t=780059]Revenants Guide (AoW)[/url]] [[url=http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=784535]Chaos Elemental Guide[/url]] [[url=http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=765661]Ancestral Bones Guide[/url]] 

[[url=http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=773195&start=0]The True World Map?[/url]] [[url=http://forum.tip.it/./viewtopic.php?f=37&t=778753]The Forgotten Citadel[/url]] 

[i]Fire Cape Achieved: 11/19/2008[/i] | [i]Quest Cape Achieved: 12/13/2008[/i]

[img=http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1171/testpngon6.png]

[url=http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=788083][b]Click here to visit my Blog![/b][/url]

[b]Rare Drops:[/b] [color=#FF0000]Dragon Claws x1[/color], [color=#004000]Bandos Hilt x2[/color], [color=#BFBFBF]Holy Elixir x1[/color]

Hope that helps :)

I also like those ideas, although I don't know whether they are possible or not :P.