Will this card allow me to run Runescape HD?

War_Junky_91

There's no doubt that this card could run HD without a hitch, but I'd be wary of the passive cooling. Passively cooled systems (w/o proper fans near the card) can run pretty hot, and I'm fairly sure that those models can come with a cooling system.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

That will easily run HD. I'd second getting a fan cooled card over a pasively cooled one, for the reasons stated, and they're normally quite a bit cheaper. Before you do upgrade though, you'll need to make sure your motherboard supports PCIe, and your power supply is rated at about 350+W.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

There's no doubt that this card could run HD without a hitch, but I'd be wary of the passive cooling. Passively cooled systems (w/o proper fans near the card) can run pretty hot, and I'm fairly sure that those models can come with a cooling system.

Ah, so this model would be better then? http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SF-PX96GT512D3&cat=VCD

cool_sig1.jpg

9600GT will perform even better if you want to play other games, but needs more power than a 9500GT. Either will run HD fine though.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

9600GT seems like overkill for HD. Honestly the OP would be better off buying a cheaper card (maybe something like the 8500GT budget card) so that he doesn't accidentally get a card that is too powerful for what is probably a low watt PSU.

9600GT seems like overkill for HD. Honestly the OP would be better off buying a cheaper card (maybe something like the 8500GT budget card) so that he doesn't accidentally get a card that is too powerful for what is probably a low watt PSU.

My buddy's dad runs a computer repair bussiness in his spare time. If it is too low i can get a better one installed by him for cheap.

EDIT: Just opened her up and its 250 watt max, so i'll just get a new PSU while i'm at it, they are only $15-$20 on that website.

EDIT 2: I just checked again and i do have a PCIe port.

cool_sig1.jpg

Yeah buying a $20 PSU is just going to be stupid in the long run. If you want to play chances with frying your computer though, go ahead.

Is all you're playing Runescape? You seriously don't need to waste $100 on a new video card and PSU for that game.

Yeah buying a $20 PSU is just going to be stupid in the long run. If you want to play chances with frying your computer though, go ahead.

Is all you're playing Runescape? You seriously don't need to waste $100 on a new video card and PSU for that game.

I'll spring for the best supply i can find then. Price is no concern, this computer is my baby. And no, this is not just for runescape. I'm upgrading this computer to be of use for just about everything. Which is why i'm also upgrading to 4GB of RAM, adding another 500GB hard drive, dual optical drives, adding at least one more cooling fan and having a dual monitor set up. And just to make sure i'm not messing anything up i'm having my buddy's dad install all of this.

cool_sig1.jpg

In that case go ahead and go with the 9600GT and around a 550W-600W PSU from a trusted brand.

Don't scrimp on PSU or cooling systems. You'll need to cool that if my cousin's experience means anything. (fried his after upgrading)

And yeah, dual-monitors really really its intensive on graphics cards.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

In that case go ahead and go with the 9600GT and around a 550W-600W PSU from a trusted brand.

Don't scrimp on PSU or cooling systems. You'll need to cool that if my cousin's experience means anything. (fried his after upgrading)

And yeah, dual-monitors really really its intensive on graphics cards.

Dual monitors doesn't make any difference on a graphic card, performance wise. Unless you're running a game with both at once.

Also 550W-600W is already a little overkill for a 9600GT (only need around 450W-500W) although I agree you don't want to scrimp on it. As far as a cooling system goes, traditional air cooling is just fine.