The Rest of the band.

How2PK

Goodmorning/afternoon/evening everybody, how are we all doing? I got inspired for this topic because of the "Who do u think is the top 5 greatest guitar players?" thread.

Most attention always goes out to a singer or a guitarist, well, not always, but most of the time it does. I wonder why that would be? People can't recognize a good drummer or piano/keyboard/any other key instrument or bass player? It isn't really hard (harder to spot a good drummer/key instrumental artist/bass player, I think) to hear when a guitar player props out an insane solo, they get a lot of credit for it and everybody is all enthousiastic. Would there be a lack of longer drum/key instrument solo's? Or what could be the cause for other band members than guitarist and singer get less attention?

Post your thoughts on the subject, and while we're at it some people may be so kind to give some information on how to spot a good bass player, drummer or key instrument player. You can also post your favorite drum, key instrument, bass players here, if you want.

[edit]Here is one of a lot of top lists of drummers I found. This is the link to it.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Favourite Bass Players:

Geddy Lee, Cliff Burton

Favourite Drummers:

Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Ian Paice

Favourite Keys Players:

Jon Lord, Jordan Rudess

I don't find it at all hard to notice other band members playing. Whether that's because I'm a musician myself, I don't know. I admire guitar players more because I'm a guitarist, but when the discussion turns to another band member, I have no problem giving them credit or sharing my opinions on them.

thirdeyesig0tl.jpg

Dreaming of that face again

It's bright, and blue, and shimmering

Grinning wide

And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

I don't find it at all hard to notice other band members playing. Whether that's because I'm a musician myself, I don't know. I admire guitar players more because I'm a guitarist, but when the discussion turns to another band member, I have no problem giving them credit or sharing my opinions on them.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I'm into a lot of metal, which is a genre where drummers tend to get a lot of recognition - mainly because any metal band worth listening to will have a drummer who's fast and technical as hell. If i had to mention 3 drummers i really like, they'd be:

Igor Cavalera - Sepultura

Vinnie Paul - Ex Pantera, Damageplan

Danny Carey - Tool

As far as bassists go, i think it's a lot harder to stand out. Bass just tends to be a little bit in the shadow of the guitar in most bands, but here are a couple of bassists that stand out for me

Flea - Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Ryan Martinie - Mudvayne

Tim Commerford - Ex Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave

As far as keyboards go, i don't think i actually own too much music that involves keyboard/piano playing. I can only really think of Matt Bellamy (Muse) as someone who stands out on that instrument.

I would say Chris Martin (Coldplay) but, at the risk of being lynched by Meesy, i think the piano parts he plays are fairly simple.... i might be wrong because it's an instrument i have no knowledge about, but that's just the impression i get.

Kirk and Lars I could handle. At the same time.

I know this wasn't really the question, but I wanted to discuss anyways.

My theory on this all is based on the fact is that singing something everyone can do, they can suck or not, but still when you go to a concert that's the easy way for you to interact. I have a friend who pretty much ignores the singers and focuses on the other instruments which I think is great, but he's a really good musician then. There's a lot more people who can be at home and start singing a song then pick up their instrument and start playing that song.

As far as keyboards go, i don't think i actually own too much music that involves keyboard/piano playing. I can only really think of Matt Bellamy (Muse) as someone who stands out on that instrument.

I would say Chris Martin (Coldplay) but, at the risk of being lynched by Meesy, i think the piano parts he plays are fairly simple.... i might be wrong because it's an instrument i have no knowledge about, but that's just the impression i get.

/lynch

Although I have to agree that some songs, such as "The scientist" have an easy 4-chord rhytm. But even then, there's a lot of songs by other bands that involve guitar play that also only have a 4-chord thingy. It just sounds a lot easier if played on the piano.

And also there are a lot of more diffecult piano songs, such as "Trouble", "Amsterdam" or even "Politik". And knowing your kind of music, I wouldn't say "The Scientist" would fit in there.

signaturebq4.jpg

Member of #darkwebz.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I'm into a lot of metal, which is a genre where drummers tend to get a lot of recognition - mainly because any metal band worth listening to will have a drummer who's fast and technical as hell. If i had to mention 3 drummers i really like, they'd be:

Igor Cavalera - Sepultura

Vinnie Paul - Ex Pantera, Damageplan

Danny Carey - Tool

As far as bassists go, i think it's a lot harder to stand out. Bass just tends to be a little bit in the shadow of the guitar in most bands, but here are a couple of bassists that stand out for me

Flea - Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Ryan Martinie - Mudvayne

Tim Commerford - Ex Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave

You just mentioned all the people that I was going to say something about. Danny Carey has to be one of my favorite drummers ever, and Igor Cavalera is awesome. It's amazing to just WATCH Ryan Martinie play bass.

3898000bYVcx.png

Yann Tiersen - composed all the music for Am̮̩̉̉lie, and played most of it himself (the guy plays lots of instruments). Very awesome, imo.

While I play the piano myself, I wouldn't be able to name any pop pianists/keyboard players which stand out to me... While Chris Martin (Coldplay), Tim Rice-Oxley (Keane), Scott Underwood (Train) and Michael Andrews (quiet version of 'Mad World' (Donnie Darko)) all play the piano quite well, there's nobody who's stood out to me yet as being an extraordinary piano player. Except maybe the people who are actually in the picture as playing piano (Alicia Keys, Jamie Cullum, etc. etc.).

As for the rest of the band... I can't really judge them. Don't know any other instrument well enough to be able to judge people who play it.