A....Rubik's cube?

Romy

Hello everyone. Welcome to my suggestion thread.

My idea is simple- add a mini-game that involves solving a Rubik's cube :thumbsup: .

[hide=The plot]Since I want this to be a free update this is the plot, although I added an alternative for members at the bottom.

By talking to the advisor in Varrock you'd get this this dialog:

You: "You seem worried, is everything okay?"

The advisor: "Oh my, oh my."

You: "What's wrong?"

The advisor: "The King had gone mad. He found a weird looking, colorful, cube. The cube can shift it's colors simply by moving it, and the King... Well, he moved it a little too much, up to the point where he can't turn it back to it's original state. Usualy this wouldn't be a problem, except the King would not let go of it, and he appears to have lost any interest in running his Kingdom! Perhaps... You could help?"

You (choices):

•  
    [*:13axosbk]"Oh, I don't know. I don't think I'm smart enough."

[*:13axosbk]"Well, I guess I could give it a try."

The advisor:

•  
    [*:13axosbk](If you chose the first option): "Okay, thanks anyway, my friend."

[*:13axosbk](If you chose the second option): "Thank you, my friend. Best of luck."

--------------------------------------------------------------

If, however, the update will not be available for free players, here's the members' only plot.

By talking to 1 of the wandering gnome-children in the gnome stronghold you'd get this dialog:

You: "Hello there, what have you been up to lately?"

Gnome-kid: "None of your bussines! Go away!"

You: "That's not very nice..."

Gnome-kid: "I never said I'm nice. Now go away!"

You: "Is anything bothering you?"

Gnome-kid: "Go awa... Well, umm, yes. I found this bizzare game on the floor the other day, and I started playing with it. It's a shape of some sort and... It was all colorful and beautiful, but I messed it up, and it's of no use anymore...

You (choices):

•  
    [*:13axosbk]"Tough luck, kid."

[*:13axosbk]"Maybe I should try?"

Gnome-kid:

•  
    [*:13axosbk](If you chose the first option): "Aaah! Go away!!"

[*:13axosbk](If you chose the second option): "Okay, I hope you can be of help."

[/hide]

[hide=The game]Well, even though I'm pretty sure this part is pointless, I decided to put it here anyway, just incase some of you don't know what a Rubik's cube is.

A mechanical puzzle with the shape of a cube, all sides able to be rotated, each side divided into 9 squares, the moving pieces allowing the the cube to be rearranged. The goal is to get the colored squares aligned so that each side of the cube has a face of exactly one color. (Thanks to Wikipedia).

messed.jpg

Messed (unsolved) state.

solved.jpg

Solved state.[/hide]

[hide=The points]The points are calculated easily.

For every cube you solve you earn 50 points (debateable).

For every move-mode you earn 100 points (debateable) (in move-mode you must completly solve the cube in less than 120 moves).

For every quick-mode you earn 200 points (debateable) (in quick-mode you must completly solve the cube in less than 3:30 minutes (debateable))

These points will be used to get rewards, similar to most other mini games.[/hide]

[hide=The rewards]Simply because I have two plots, I decided to give two ranges of rewards- one for Varrock's king, and one for the gnome-kid. I must also say that all rewards are debateable, as I'm not sure they quite fit.

For the King:

1. Silverlight- 200 points (only if completed Demon Slayer).

2. King's crown- 500 points (unique) (equipable).

3. Experience lamp (2x)- 1,000 points (to make sure this is not abused, the lamps can only be used twice on every skill over a period of 24 hours).

4. A banker-box*- 1,200 points.

5. A Flashback Orb**- 2,000 points (as it's permanent).

*A banker-box is a special box that would send 1 item to your bank. A few restrictions- You can only hold 2 of those in your inventory at a time, you may not enter the Wilderness/ PVP worlds with it, you may not send the 3 most valuable items in your inventory & equipment screens.

** A Flashback Orb is a special orb that simply allowes you to rewatch any cut scenes you may have had throughout your questing journal. If you lose it you can get another 1 back free of charge.

For the gnome:

1. A 'whoopy' gnomeball*- 200 points.

2. Gnome Agility laps (4x)**- 500 points.

3. Experience lamp (2x)- 1,000 points (to make sure this is not abused, the lamps can only be used twice on every skill over a period of 24 hours).

4. A banker-box***- 1,200 points.

5. A Flashback Orb****- 2,000 points (as it's permanent).

*Just like any other gnome ball, just colorful (you can choose between- white, green, orange, yellow, red and blue).

**You literally 'buy' laps, or in other words you buy Agility exp in packs of 346. The only restriction is that you can't use it more than 40 times a day (and if you choose to you'd earn 13,840 exp).

***A banker-box is a special box that would send 1 item to your bank. A few restrictions- You can only hold 2 of those in your inventory at a time, you may not enter the Wilderness/ PVP worlds with it, you may not send the 3 most valuable items in your inventory & equipment screens.

**** A Flashback Orb is a special orb that simply allowes you to rewatch any cut scenes you may have had throughout your questing journal. If you lose it you can get another 1 back free of charge.[/hide]

[hide=Why is this necessary?]Well, as some of you may know, many of RuneScape's quests have hard puzzles that you must complete, although lately I figured- not hard enough.

Since Rubik's cubes are considered 'too hard' by some of you, this is a mini game, or in other words you don't have to do it.

I really do think that such a puzzle implemented into the game would attract small crowds into the game of higher IQ (as I've seen countless complains and jokes about the average RuneScape player's IQ :lol: :lol: ), but seriously, I think it may attract smarter players into the game. And besides, I think a RuneScape style Rubik's cube would be nice :).[/hide][hide=RSOF]Well, since the forums are open for free players now, I've added this to the RSOF.

Quick find code: 84-85-558-58668968.[/hide]

[hide=Support list

I'm all for it! Concerns though...

1) B/c of copyright, you'll need a new name for it

2) Controls?

3) The rewards seem kinda random, you should make them more related to the quest/plot

2) Controls?

3) The rewards seem kinda random, you should make them more related to the quest/plot

First of all, thanks :).

1) As for copyrights, even if we changed the name, it's still a problem. I guess the only solution is if JaGeX would contact Rubik's brand LTD.

2) Well, as I know pretty much nothing about coding, Java, HTML etc, I can't really explain how it would work. BUT, I know it's possible because I've seen a Rubik's cube program in which you use your mouse to solve it. The program I'm familiar with is by Gabbasoft, and you can create and play with cubes ranging all the way from 2x2x2 to 100x100x100, and even more.

Here's a little video demonstrating how it could possibly look:

[yt]g6SkQPK894I[/yt]

3) Well, I guess the Crown and the gnome-ball are the only rewards actualy related to the plot. I can't figure anything else, but I fail to find any problems with my current rewards.

If you have any better idea I'd be happy to hear, improve and credit :thumbsup: .

2) Controls?

1) As for copyrights, even if we changed the name, it's still a problem. I guess the only solution is if JaGeX would contact Rubik's brand LTD.

2) Well, as I know pretty much nothing about coding, Java, HTML etc, I can't really explain how it would work. BUT, I know it's possible because I've seen a Rubik's cube program in which you use your mouse to solve it. The program I'm familiar with is by Gabbasoft, and you can create and play with cubes ranging all the way from 2x2x2 to 100x100x100, and even more.

[vid]

3) Well, I guess the Crown and the gnome-ball are the only rewards actualy related to the plot. I can't figure anything else, but I fail to find any problems with my current rewards.

If you have any better idea I'd be happy to hear, improve and credit :thumbsup: .

1) That's up to them then

2) I know, I just wanted to know which one you would support. Clicking with a mouse? Using the keyboard?

3) How about this, you know the whole story with Surok and Varrock right? The magician trying to control Varrock who is a Daigon'hai? How about you have him plant a bomb in Varrock, and in order to disarm it, you need to "unlock" it. Then you could have similar bombs at the Tree Gnome Village or Grand Tree that were planted by Glourphie. This way, not only would the rewards make sense, and the storyline more workable with the Quest Plots, but you would have the freedom to introduce new storyline and rewards. For example:

The King is pleased with your ability to disarm the bomb. He tells you of an undercover operation he's launched to find Surok. He offers to let you join, in which case you'll get a cool-looking uniform. You would also then be able to disarm more bombs. The King would then give you various items they've looted from the Daigon'hai base, such as runes, armor, weapons, maybe even new items.

The Gnome King could offer similar rewards and plotline. You know how Glourpie disguised the spies ad cute creatures? Maybe you could get some sort of cloaking device?

Just ideas.

I was going to say that nerd's are going to mutilate the timer mode but i guess you already fixed that by making low-level rewards

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

[hide=]

2) Controls?

[vid]

1) That's up to them then

2) I know, I just wanted to know which one you would support. Clicking with a mouse? Using the keyboard?

3) How about this, you know the whole story with Surok and Varrock right? The magician trying to control Varrock who is a Daigon'hai? How about you have him plant a bomb in Varrock, and in order to disarm it, you need to "unlock" it. Then you could have similar bombs at the Tree Gnome Village or Grand Tree that were planted by Glourphie. This way, not only would the rewards make sense, and the storyline more workable with the Quest Plots, but you would have the freedom to introduce new storyline and rewards. For example:

The King is pleased with your ability to disarm the bomb. He tells you of an undercover operation he's launched to find Surok. He offers to let you join, in which case you'll get a cool-looking uniform. You would also then be able to disarm more bombs. The King would then give you various items they've looted from the Daigon'hai base, such as runes, armor, weapons, maybe even new items.

The Gnome King could offer similar rewards and plotline. You know how Glourpie disguised the spies ad cute creatures? Maybe you could get some sort of cloaking device?

Just ideas.

[/hide]

1)Obviously ::' .

2)A mouse would be more comfortable IMO.

3)I can already see countless posts of people saying it's a game based on medieval time, and that a bomb would ruin it etc etc. Also, I can't add member-quest plots involved in the Varrock storyline, simply because that 1 is supposed to be for free players.

I really don't see a problem with the current rewards, if more people complained about it I might change it.

In the end, it'll just come down to what you think is best and what Jagex finds acceptable. I'm just making suggestions.

Ok, a bomb may be a little modern. But you can make it run by magic, so no technological aspects are involved. Then if you just call it a "magical device", problem solved.

There's NOTHING wrong with the rewards. I never said there were. I said the rewards seemed like they were random and did not exactly follow the storyline. They are good rewards. There's nothing wrong. But if I were Jagex, I would want something that made sense, and as a player I personally like to know the background behind items.

Why can't you incorperate members plotlines into f2p? Is something wrong with that? Yes, f2p'ers might get confused, but as a freeplayer do you know who Arrav is? Not identify, but his origin, his cause, his current location, his motives, his legacy, etc.? In other words, do you know him well? You probably do, since that information is on the internet, but a majority of f2p does not, simply because they do not care. Yet, the Shield of Arrav quest is f2p. Tons of things in members can be seen in f2p. I don't think there's a single thing wrong with adding member plotlines to f2p. It would be a nice business incentive as well.

Plus, as long as you explain the plot of it well enough, there should be no trouble.

Well, I personally cannot solve a Rubiks cube. I can get one side and... that's where it ends. :XD: So I have no interest in this minigame anyways. But even knowing I would never play the minigame, the rewards really don't seem all that worth it. The best one is the 1k lamp, imo, and even that isn't worth all the time when you could just go train the skill. :P Good idea for people who like those cubes, but the rewards don't seem terribly worth it. Also, I don't see how well that work when all we can do is click... Controls would be terribly to work with I'm sure.

Blakdragon39.png

[hide=blakdragon39]

Well, I personally cannot solve a Rubiks cube. I can get one side and... that's where it ends. :XD: So I have no interest in this minigame anyways. But even knowing I would never play the minigame, the rewards really don't seem all that worth it. The best one is the 1k lamp, imo, and even that isn't worth all the time when you could just go train the skill. :P Good idea for people who like those cubes, but the rewards don't seem terribly worth it. Also, I don't see how well that work when all we can do is click... Controls would be terribly to work with I'm sure.

As for the controls, I can almost gurantee it will be easy and comfortable.

As for the rewards, I know of some people who solve these cubes in no more than 20 seconds, some even half that time. That being said, the rewards could be absolutly awesome for them as solving the cube in that time gets you 200 points.

As for training a skill, it's a lot like Stealing Creation, many of the skills you can train with the reward tools can be done at the same time, and sometimes even less because it takes time achieving those tools, BUT, many people would still rather play the game over intensive grinding. I'm sure people who like these cubes would enjoy this very much.[/hide]

[hide=zaaps1]

In the end, it'll just come down to what you think is best and what Jagex finds acceptable. I'm just making suggestions.

Ok, a bomb may be a little modern. But you can make it run by magic, so no technological aspects are involved. Then if you just call it a "magical device", problem solved.

There's NOTHING wrong with the rewards. I never said there were. I said the rewards seemed like they were random and did not exactly follow the storyline. They are good rewards. There's nothing wrong. But if I were Jagex, I would want something that made sense, and as a player I personally like to know the background behind items.

Why can't you incorperate members plotlines into f2p? Is something wrong with that? Yes, f2p'ers might get confused, but as a freeplayer do you know who Arrav is? Not identify, but his origin, his cause, his current location, his motives, his legacy, etc.? In other words, do you know him well? You probably do, since that information is on the internet, but a majority of f2p does not, simply because they do not care. Yet, the Shield of Arrav quest is f2p. Tons of things in members can be seen in f2p. I don't think there's a single thing wrong with adding member plotlines to f2p. It would be a nice business incentive as well.

Plus, as long as you explain the plot of it well enough, there should be no trouble.

If it matters to you that much then:

The crown is a reward from the King, being so grateful.

Silverlight is obviously related to the kingdom of Varrock.

The 'whoopy' gnomeball is the gnome-kid's second favorite toy (after the cube :P).

Agility laps are given because the gnome who guards the Agility course appears to like him very much, and had taught him about Agility quite a bit.

Experience lamps- *The King: His guards found a stock of those. *The gnome-kid: He did some digging and found a box filled with these, and had nothing to do with them.

A banker box- *The King: It's his kingdom! He can do what ever seems right to him, including 'borrowing' special work tools from his bankers. *The gnome-kid: His father is 1 of the bankers of the Stronghold, and he gave him some of the extra boxes the bank had.

A Flashback orb- *The King: Some archaologists found it and donated it to the Museum, which has no use of it and gave it to the King. *The gnome-kid: Along with all the experience lamps, he also saw a 'shiny little crystal ball', at first he liked it, but he no longer has any interest in it.

I hope that's satifying :).[/hide]

20 seconds, possible. But by clicking with a mouse? I don't think so. Once you computerize it, it gets so much slower. You're right though, it takes no time at all to solve one.

This would be way way way too easy to macro with. Figure a decent computer algorithm can solve a rubik's cube in <1 second, and from there it's just clicking (world record holders solved the cube on the fly in under 20 seconds)

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

This would be way way way too easy to macro with. Figure a decent computer algorithm can solve a rubik's cube in <1 second, and from there it's just clicking (world record holders solved the cube on the fly in under 20 seconds)

Actualy the official world record is 10.46 seconds, although there are videos around the net of people doing it in less than 8.5 seconds.

As for the macro, that's a problem there, because there are 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 different cube formations, it's pretty hard to let a macro solve it. ALTHOUGH, there are programs which can tell you the right algorithm to solve a cube if you put in what it looks like, but it's time consuming- The average cuber can solve the cube much faster than someone who would look all around the cube, put in the colors to the program, let it calculate, and then follow it's instructions.

Please note though, that even if I'm wrong, you can only use the experience lamps twice on each skill over a period of 24 hours, which should leave it pretty much none-abusive.

***For zaaps1, I've added an answer for you above your lost post, figured I'd point that out so you won't miss it.

[hide=zaaps1]

The 'whoopy' gnomeball is the gnome-kid's second favorite toy (after the cube :P).

Agility laps are given because the gnome who guards the Agility course appears to like him very much, and had taught him about Agility quite a bit.

Experience lamps- *The King: His guards found a stock of those. *The gnome-kid: He did some digging and found a box filled with these, and had nothing to do with them.

A banker box- *The King: It's his kingdom! He can do what ever seems right to him, including 'borrowing' special work tools from his bankers. *The gnome-kid: His father is 1 of the bankers of the Stronghold, and he gave him some of the extra boxes the bank had.

A Flashback orb- *The King: Some archaologists found it and donated it to the Museum, which has no use of it and gave it to the King. *The gnome-kid: Along with all the experience lamps, he also saw a 'shiny little crystal ball', at first he liked it, but he no longer has any interest in it.

Ok, let me clear things up:

It doesn't matter that much, but it would make the suggestion better. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying your rewards are junk or anything.

Those rewards sort-of make sense, but they're kinda random, as I've said before. My only suggestion to this idea now is to make a more solid storyline to incorporate the rewards. I suggested one, but it was a members storyline, so I can understand why you could reject it. Still though, the reasons you gave for the rewards are still "random". Now, I know you just made them up to post here to respond to me, it shows. You don't have to, by any means. Your idea is fine, and, once again, I'm just pointing out where it can be better.

It doesn't bother me that much, but I just thought there was room for improvement.

[hide=zaaps1]

Ok, let me clear things up:

It doesn't matter that much, but it would make the suggestion better. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying your rewards are junk or anything.

Those rewards sort-of make sense, but they're kinda random, as I've said before. My only suggestion to this idea now is to make a more solid storyline to incorporate the rewards. I suggested one, but it was a members storyline, so I can understand why you could reject it. Still though, the reasons you gave for the rewards are still "random". Now, I know you just made them up to post here to respond to me, it shows. You don't have to, by any means. Your idea is fine, and, once again, I'm just pointing out where it can be better.

It doesn't bother me that much, but I just thought there was room for improvement.

You shouldn't apologize that much ::' , I encourage all critisizm. As for the storyline, I know myself, and an idea will probably pop into my head while I'm eating lunch or something, so I won't put too much thought into this.

If, however, you come up with a good plot, that's sattisfying IMO, I'd be happy to edit it in and give you some credit ;) .

I am sure many people would hate this. ;)

I'm still trying to find out my Rubik's Cube :o

Nice idea though.

I don't think so since a simple google search will tell you how.

I support this idea.

Although, if you want to make it really crazy...

20x20x20solve.png

Different cube sizes. I wouldn't make them rewards that are completely insane, but something for the novelty of it (similar to, say, gold Castle Wars armour).

(The picture is a solve I did and the largest cube possible using Gabbasoft.)

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

I support this idea.

Although, if you want to make it really crazy...

20x20x20solve.png

Different cube sizes. I wouldn't make them rewards that are completely insane, but something for the novelty of it (similar to, say, gold Castle Wars armour).

(The picture is a solve I did and the largest cube possible using Gabbasoft.)

Are you sure? I thought the biggest is 100x100x100...

Wow and in only 4 hours? Dang that's fast, well, compared to me. #-o

Are you sure? I thought the biggest is 100x100x100...

From their site: http://www.gabbasoft.com/download.htm

Like Rubik's Cube? Then you're going to love this! Scramble your brain with CUBES and SUPERCUBES of different sizes, ranging from 2x2x2 all the way to 20x20x20!!

Wow and in only 4 hours? Dang that's fast, well, compared to me. #-o

It took me 4:35, though my computer crashed twice without saving, so I spent over 9 hours on it over the course of Labor Day weekend a couple years ago, though only 4:35 was spent working on that solve. (At the time, I was 12th fastest in the world at solving that)

But enough of me -- I definitely support the suggestion. More puzzles are always good (maybe make it unlock something like the Sudoku during Rogue Trader minigame?)

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png