Getting a Laptop [UPDATE]

Knotch_Blade

Does this Laptop fit the bill for a Entertainment/Gaming laptop?

I'll be using it a two houses, but more so at my mom's house, so I think I'll buy a powerstation/keyboard/mouse, and then just use it as is at my dad's house...

Do you think this laptop will get cheaper for Father's Day?

What do you rate it?

Have you been given a budget? No good suggesting a top of the range $1000+ one if you can only spend $600 or less.

I want this laptop to be easily updated hardware wise.

The problem is laptops can't really be upgraded that easily like desktops can. To replace things like CPU and graphics you'd have to buy a whole new motherboard for the laptop, so you may aswell just buy a new one. RAM and Hard drives aren't such a problem, though they can be a pain to do on some models.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Have you been given a budget? No good suggesting a top of the range $1000+ one if you can only spend $600 or less.

I want this laptop to be easily updated hardware wise.

The problem is laptops can't really be upgraded that easily like desktops can. To replace things like CPU and graphics you'd have to buy a whole new motherboard for the laptop, so you may aswell just buy a new one. RAM and Hard drives aren't such a problem, though they can be a pain to do on some models.

Uhhmm... I'm not sure on a budget, I was hoping to get a few suggestions...

Like lets think of this as steak, on that is rare, medium rare, and medium.

Rare being the best of course. :)

So a top price then one below it then an average-ly priced one :P

Thanks guys...

Btw... I <3: your photography LB

What are you looking for in a laptop?

A good battery life, or are you going to be near a plug all the time?

Are you looking for a good support, as in, you're looking for buying straight from the manufacturer?

Are you at all concerned about games? Do you need a discrete graphics card?

Since you're holding media, I assuming you're wanting a large HDD.

Is screen size important?

What about weight? 4lbs-6lbs?

Do you want a webcam?

So far, it seems like a netbook could do what you're asking except for hold your music and run paint.NET well.

Newegg has some great deals, and the one recommended above looks good, except the battery life is reported to be low.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

What are you looking for in a laptop?

A good battery life, or are you going to be near a plug all the time?Both, at my dads house I'll be plug, at my moms i'll be roaming

Are you looking for a good support, as in, you're looking for buying straight from the manufacturer?I'll probably be getting it from Walmart etc... but I would like be able to get appropriate accessories.

Are you at all concerned about games? Do you need a discrete graphics card?Most games I'll play are RS, I would like to be able to stream HD vids though, and watch 'em on youtube.

Since you're holding media, I assuming you're wanting a large HDD. Yep

Is screen size important?Eh, Doesn't have to be huge, but I want to be able to see it :P

What about weight? 4lbs-6lbs?Unimportant.

So far, it seems like a netbook could do what you're asking except for hold your music and run paint.NET well.

Newegg has some great deals, and the one recommended above looks good, except the battery life is reported to be low.

Holding my music and being able to mess around with GFX is an important thing for me, it's one of my few ways of expressing myself. :)

Well, I found this one on the Walmart store. It looks like it would be decent for what you need. I've no idea on the battery life though. It has a low discrete graphics, more than enough for RSHD and Paint.NET. It has a 2.0Ghz processor, 4GB of DDR2 (can go up to 8GB), and 250GB HDD. You can have it shipped to your nearby Walmart store and pick it up there, but it's not available directly at the store.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Is iBuypower a good/reliable company?

I don't wanna get screwed like you did :P

I've never dealt with them. Here's a forum where one users questions their company.

I'll find another laptop.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Here's a 17" (I was never a fan of 17", as they're borderline non-portable and usually have bad resolutions); it has pretty good reviews. Most say that it's heavy. :P

Here's a 16" Toshiba. No reviews. :?

Here's a 15.6" HP. One reviewer states that it has a fast draining battery.

They all have decent GPUs/IGPs for RSHD/Paint.NET and dual cores for optimal processing. RAM exceeds 3GB in all models.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Here's a 17" (I was never a fan of 17", as they're borderline non-portable and usually have bad resolutions); it has pretty good reviews. Most say that it's heavy. :P

They all have decent GPUs/IGPs for RSHD/Paint.NET and dual cores for optimal processing. RAM exceeds 3GB in all models.

Would it be worth it to up the RAM and buy and external harddrive?

Also, are laptops indeed cheaper nearer father's day?

Would it be worth it to up the RAM and buy and external harddrive?

Also, are laptops indeed cheaper nearer father's day?

If you're considering upgrading to these model of laptops, I don't believe so. I doubt you're not going to use more than 3GB. I would consider an external HDD only to back up your data but I don't know how large you media collection is. I only have 1,000 songs which take up 1.25GB and then a few movies bumping the total up to 9GB.

Prices do go down with certain companies. I know HP and Dell do deals that day but I never shopped at WalMart for my electronics. Regardless, prices on these laptops will go south about ~$100 between now and October especially considering that they aren't Core 2 Duos.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

All of the three laptops comes with the new Turion cpu's, won't have a problem at all to run your stuff.

I would go for the HP 15" of those three, most bang for the buck. As long as you ain't gonna game, it'll run great. Secondly, the Toshiba 16" and third the 17" one.

If you want to game, you'll have to get something like the laptop Sbrideau linked.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

• 1 month later...

I'll be using it a two houses, but more so at my mom's house, so I think I'll buy a powerstation/keyboard/mouse, and then just use it as is at my dad's house...

Do you think this laptop will get cheaper for Father's Day?

What do you rate it?

Simply put, no.

Intel graphics accelerator is enough of a crap to not be able to run RSHD.

Can I just update the graphics card?

Nein.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

No either way. Typically Intel IGPUs are soldered onto the motherboard or logicboard. The only way to remove it would be to unsolder it, but they you still wouldn't be able to add a different chipset or GPU.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Newer GPUs or even IGPUs (which represent discrete and integrated graphics devices respectfully) from Nvidia or ATI.

hopesolopatriot.jpg