Balancing Weapons and Armor.

Youmu

Yea, its a game.

Some things are just better than realism.

Yes, however Quelmotz keep mentioning how spears were used by armies of *insert here*, so I did too.

Sonic, all I have to say that is you have good intentions, however even if you change the weapons a lot, there would only be 1 good weapon, and everyone would use it.

I know that even though the weapons go through a change, there would still be 1 best weapon. Currently in F2P it's "Scimitar x90000", I want to make it so it's "Scimitar x10000, Longsword x8000, Battleaxe x5000" and so on. It's so that there is actually more diversity instead of the boring old scimitar.

Weapons are really up to both personal preference and effectiveness. I myself prefer the rune longsword because it matches with my full rune, and it also is quite effective in training. Personal preference is important so you aren't "forced" to use one weapon, and it is just like now with the scimitar situation.

Same with armor. It's "Full rune x90000", but I want it to make it so it is "Full rune x40000, chainmail + full rune x40000".

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its better if all weapons have there own area of use.

In other words, making most monsters like corporal beat or something, where only a particular form of damage can harm them.

Verse unarmored creatures, slashing should still be the best damage per second, but most other creatures most weapons should have there own little area of use.

O.O

I think its better if all weapons have there own area of use.

In other words, making most monsters like corporal beat or something, where only a particular form of damage can harm them.

Verse unarmored creatures, slashing should still be the best damage per second, but most other creatures most weapons should have there own little area of use.

Yeah, make cockroaches have a more significant Crush weakness (so that the rune mace will actually be more useful).

And what monsters already have a Stab weakness, but are still worth killing? I have to know one so that the rune shortsword will actually be useful.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

Hmm, yes, let's make f2p training even slower. From a max of 30k exp per hour to a max of 25k exp per hour. [/sarcasm]

If you must balance these weapons, at least balance them to be even with the scimitar, not balance the scimitar down to there level. It's not fair to make a bad weapon worse, especially when that bad weapon is all the best f2p has.

Also, these changes will affect f2p and very, very newb members only. And if we are messing with f2p, the first thing that should happen is to make mage useful in pvp after cb level 50. This is an unimportant detail really. I would be angry if this was done, and f2p's pvp was still messed up.

I might support you if you don't nerf the scimitars. They aren't overpowered. If you want to talk overpowered, I'm going to direct you to the whip, which is better than a weapon that was fought over in the god wars.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Hmm, yes, let's make f2p training even slower. From a max of 30k exp per hour to a max of 25k exp per hour. [/sarcasm]

If you must balance these weapons, at least balance them to be even with the scimitar, not balance the scimitar down to there level. It's not fair to make a bad weapon worse, especially when that bad weapon is all the best f2p has.

Also, these changes will affect f2p and very, very newb members only. And if we are messing with f2p, the first thing that should happen is to make mage useful in pvp after cb level 50. This is an unimportant detail really. I would be angry if this was done, and f2p's pvp was still messed up.

I might support you if you don't nerf the scimitars. They aren't overpowered. If you want to talk overpowered, I'm going to direct you to the whip, which is better than a weapon that was fought over in the god wars.

I have said before in an old and dying thread that the Abyssal Whip was overpowered, but it got flamed to hell by a certain party (let's call him sadukar123, shall we, for anonymity's sake?).

Back to topic, I agree that f2p mage is underpowered, and may I please direct you to the rants forum, click this topic "f2p mage and range underpowered" by yours truly? Not trying to boast, but if you want you can also see another thread under bugs and suggestions "contemporary S&Q ....(something)".

Fine, I will increase all weapons to the scimitar's power instead, since it will instigate a lot of flame and rants if everyone's present weapon (the scim) was nerfed badly.

YOU made the mace have speed FOUR, I don't think 4>4. :roll:

You really have overestimated how strong medieval armour was, a simple arrow or crossbow bolt can penetrate armour EASILY. You'd know a huge bladed axe can slice through it easier. A warhammer can best do...what? Crushes a part of the armour? So deadly man, so deadly.

Nice personal attacks, I can see why you are banned. =D>

Personal attacks? May I please direct you to the thread "f2p mage and range underpowered" and see WHO started flaming and insulting people? (unless your posts have been removed).

Nice, an arrow can penetrate armor easily. (correction, at point blank range) Please specify the range. I will not be amazed if a crossbow bolt or arrow can penetrate armor at point blank range. A warhammer can "crush" a PART of the armor? What the hell? It won't necessarily crush the armor (loot man loot!), but send strong shock waves THROUGH the armor, breaking all the bones inside and causing internal bleeding. Although not immediately fatal, it is better than a huge bladed axe in terms of penetrating armor. Battleaxes will not always cut through armor, it depends on the angle of the swinging chop, the person's strength and which part of the armor it hits. You won't always get a "lucky" hit and battleaxes are 2handed, which is a HUGE disadvantage. Don't tell me they're onehanded, you said "HUGE BLADED AXE" and you didn't mention "HUGE HEAVY WARHAMMER" or anything of that sort.

Yeah. Quelmotz, I have already made stat changes on the front page. A mace is weaker than a warhammer, it should NOT be the same speed. Oh and try not to get into flame wars with other people, not only did this spam up my suggestion quite a bit, but your old account ended up being banned. Please be careful.

I can't believe you blindly agreed with him. Seriously I don't make personal attacks for no reason. You can check out "f2p mage and range underpowered" somewhere around page 20 or so and see WHO started the flame wars and personal attacks by insulting and flaming me.

And it isn't banned. I'm posting right now. I am careful. I am usually a nice person, its just these people (take note I didn't say "idiots" (which I would if I wasn't in a not-so-bad mood today)) who get on my nerves. I didn't specify anyone, don't make assumptions.

I have said before in an old and dying thread that the Abyssal Whip was overpowered, but it got flamed to hell by a certain party (let's call him sadukar123, shall we, for anonymity's sake?).

Don't make assumptions on certain weapons being overpowered if you never used them.

Back to topic, I agree that f2p mage is underpowered, and may I please direct you to the rants forum, click this topic "f2p mage and range underpowered" by yours truly? Not trying to boast, but if you want you can also see another thread under bugs and suggestions "contemporary S&Q ....(something)".

Fine, I will increase all weapons to the scimitar's power instead, since it will instigate a lot of flame and rants if everyone's present weapon (the scim) was nerfed badly.

You really have overestimated how strong medieval armour was, a simple arrow or crossbow bolt can penetrate armour EASILY. You'd know a huge bladed axe can slice through it easier. A warhammer can best do...what? Crushes a part of the armour? So deadly man, so deadly.

Personal attacks? May I please direct you to the thread "f2p mage and range underpowered" and see WHO started flaming and insulting people? (unless your posts have been removed).

By you long time ago.

Nice, an arrow can penetrate armor easily. (correction, at point blank range) Please specify the range. I will not be amazed if a crossbow bolt or arrow can penetrate armor at point blank range. A warhammer can "crush" a PART of the armor? What the hell? It won't necessarily crush the armor (loot man loot!), but send strong shock waves THROUGH the armor, breaking all the bones inside and causing internal bleeding. Although not immediately fatal, it is better than a huge bladed axe in terms of penetrating armor. Battleaxes will not always cut through armor, it depends on the angle of the swinging chop, the person's strength and which part of the armor it hits. You won't always get a "lucky" hit and battleaxes are 2handed, which is a HUGE disadvantage. Don't tell me they're onehanded, you said "HUGE BLADED AXE" and you didn't mention "HUGE HEAVY WARHAMMER" or anything of that sort.

Correction "NOT" at point black range. See Battle of Agincourt, Crecy. Crossbow might have been BANNED by Pope Innocent II FOR BEING INHUMANE, it kills a knight who trained for years with ONE SHOT. Longbow+Crossbow>Knights.

You forget there's usually CHAIN MAIL underneath some armour, it will absorb whatever "shockwave" the hammer makes.

Nice strawman, you compare two different sized weapons and declare you win.

Yeah. Quelmotz, I have already made stat changes on the front page. A mace is weaker than a warhammer, it should NOT be the same speed. Oh and try not to get into flame wars with other people, not only did this spam up my suggestion quite a bit, but your old account ended up being banned. Please be careful.

I can't believe you blindly agreed with him. Seriously I don't make personal attacks for no reason. You can check out "f2p mage and range underpowered" somewhere around page 20 or so and see WHO started the flame wars and personal attacks by insulting and flaming me.

And it isn't banned. I'm posting right now. I am careful. I am usually a nice person, its just these people (take note I didn't say "idiots" (which I would if I wasn't in a not-so-bad mood today)) who get on my nerves. I didn't specify anyone, don't make assumptions.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

Well, my suggestion currently is:

-Dagger VS Claws

-Shortsword VS Scimitar

-Spear inbetween (this one is the odd one out)

-Mace VS Longsword

-Warhammer VS Battleaxe

-2H VS Halberd

I only nerfed the scimitar a little. I might consider changes so that the stats are equal to what the weapons are up against.

Oh and if scimitar isn't overpowered, why are people all over F2P be using them so much?

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

-Dagger VS Claws

-Shortsword VS Scimitar

-Mace VS Longsword

-Warhammer VS Battleaxe

-2H VS Halberd

I only nerfed the scimitar a little. I might consider changes so that the stats are equal to what the weapons are up against.

Oh and if scimitar isn't overpowered, why are people all over F2P be using them so much?

It's the nerfing the scimitar a little that concerns me. I can already tell you, f2p training is much, much slower than members, with the best gear that is reasonable to use. That means full rune with rune gloves, and a rune scimitar. The only faster you could get is corrupt dragon, but that's too expensive to be realistic. If you nerf the scimitar, even a little, it makes slow training even slower.

As for why the scimitar is the most used, it's because it's the best. The same reason a whip is most used. Or a maple short. Or a rune crossbow. Only the uninformed use the others, because they are below par from the best. I don't care if Jagex makes the types of weapons equal. Just as long as they don't kill training for someone along the way.

And, for the record, I'm looking at this from a point of view outside where it affects me. Not only am I a member, I also am a ranger, if I ever decide to go back to combat outside of quests. What I'm saying here isn't biased because something would happen to me if these changes occurred.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Don't make assumptions on certain weapons being overpowered if you never used them.

Ok. Lets just forget about it, shall we? I'm sick of arguing with you about it.

By you long time ago.

May I ask who started it? Do you realise that when you're pointing your finger at me, four are pointing back at you?

Correction "NOT" at point black range. See Battle of Agincourt, Crecy. Crossbow might have been BANNED by Pope Innocent II FOR BEING INHUMANE, it kills a knight who trained for years with ONE SHOT. Longbow+Crossbow>Knights.

You forget there's usually CHAIN MAIL underneath some armour, it will absorb whatever "shockwave" the hammer makes.

Fine. You might be correct on the crossbow, but you stated ARROWS in your initial post, and I was basing my arguments on that.

Do you think all knights are so rich to have chainmail under their armor? Most of them only have cloth under their plate armor, which DOES absorb some impact but not enough to protect them.

Also, you were the one who started comparing a ONEHANDED warhammer to a TWOHANDED battleaxe for god's sake. Don't be so hypocritical please.

By you long time ago.

May I ask who started it? Do you realise that when you're pointing your finger at me, four are pointing back at you?

Prove it.

Fine. You might be correct on the crossbow, but you stated ARROWS in your initial post, and I was basing my arguments on that.

Arrows can STILL destroy Knights. NOT just Crossbow.

Do you think all knights are so rich to have chainmail under their armor? Most of them only have cloth under their plate armor, which DOES absorb some impact but not enough to protect them.

Erm, most knights are nobles, nobles have lots of money to buy a chainmail.

Also, you were the one who started comparing a ONEHANDED warhammer to a TWOHANDED battleaxe for god's sake. Don't be so hypocritical please.

I said huge, huge does not mean it's two handed.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

By you long time ago.

Prove it.

Seriously stop denying the fact that you started attacking me first. Things were running well in my thread. I was telling a fool to stop posting unconstructive posts on my thread when YOU suddenly appeared and started attacking me, saying my posts were not constructive. Since when did I say all my posts were constructive? And you started it, so stop denying the fact that you did.

Arrows can destroy knights, sure. And is that part of the question? We're discussing about melee weapons now, so please revert back to the topic.

Sure, knights have money. Chainmail is heavy, so who'll be stupid enough to wear two layers of armor into battle, weighing them down badly.

Huge = heavy =/= onehanded due to weight. Therefore huge/heavy = two handed.

By you long time ago.

Prove it.

Seriously stop denying the fact that you started attacking me first. Things were running well in my thread. I was telling a fool to stop posting unconstructive posts on my thread when YOU suddenly appeared and started attacking me, saying my posts were not constructive. Since when did I say all my posts were constructive? And you started it, so stop denying the fact that you did.

Pointing out a hypocritical post is attacking? Review your definitions.

Arrows can destroy knights, sure. And is that part of the question? We're discussing about melee weapons now, so please revert back to the topic.

Sure, knights have money. Chainmail is heavy, so who'll be stupid enough to wear two layers of armor into battle, weighing them down badly.

Why even wear armours at all? In Agincourt the lightly dressed British massacred the heavily armoured French.

Depends on the person.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

By you long time ago.

Prove it.

Pointing out a hypocritical post is attacking? Review your definitions.

Why even wear armours at all? In Agincourt the lightly dressed British massacred the heavily armoured French.

Depends on the person.

You point out a hypocritical post? Why don't you stop pretending. You pointing out a hypocritical post about people's posts being unconstructive when your own posts were not 100% constructive either. Hypocrite.

Yeah, armor is useless if you don't know how to use it. Skill with weapons and stuff are more useful.

It depends on the person, but in general, most people will not be able to wield heavy weapons with one hand, unless they're very strong. Even so, they will attack quite slowly due to the weight, hindering it un-practical. Therefore, we can conclude the most heavy weapons = twohanded.

You point out a hypocritical post? Why don't you stop pretending. You pointing out a hypocritical post about people's posts being unconstructive when your own posts were not 100% constructive either. Hypocrite.

Please do point out where I said all my post were 100% constructive.

Yeah, armor is useless if you don't know how to use it. Skill with weapons and stuff are more useful.

No, speed and terrain makes more difference. Skill makes almost difference whatsoever if 1 person is wearing armour and the other doesn't. The guy without is too fast for the guy with armour to hit. Compare a newly trained crossbow man with a knight that trained for 20 years, the crossbow man can kill him in 1 hit.

It depends on the person, but in general, most people will not be able to wield heavy weapons with one hand, unless they're very strong. Even so, they will attack quite slowly due to the weight, hindering it un-practical. Therefore, we can conclude the most heavy weapons = twohanded.

Then a war hammer (By your description) should be two handed? Or else it's light and barely able to do anything.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

-Dagger VS Claws

-Shortsword VS Scimitar

-Mace VS Longsword

-Warhammer VS Battleaxe

-2H VS Halberd

It's the nerfing the scimitar a little that concerns me. I can already tell you, f2p training is much, much slower than members, with the best gear that is reasonable to use. That means full rune with rune gloves, and a rune scimitar. The only faster you could get is corrupt dragon, but that's too expensive to be realistic. If you nerf the scimitar, even a little, it makes slow training even slower.

As for why the scimitar is the most used, it's because it's the best. The same reason a whip is most used. Or a maple short. Or a rune crossbow. Only the uninformed use the others, because they are below par from the best. I don't care if Jagex makes the types of weapons equal. Just as long as they don't kill training for someone along the way.

And, for the record, I'm looking at this from a point of view outside where it affects me. Not only am I a member, I also am a ranger, if I ever decide to go back to combat outside of quests. What I'm saying here isn't biased because something would happen to me if these changes occurred.

I only nerfed the scimitar, because I wanted longsword to be the best. In most RPGs, they had longsword as one of the best weapons out there. Oh and keep in mind that I improved the rune longsword to make up for the loss of the rune scimitar so training won't be slowed down as much.

(I use a rune longsword, not because I'm uninformed, because it's one of my favorites of all time, and it still gives good xp in the free world.)

Oh, and why say people are uninformed when they do not use the best? Remember that personal preference plays a big role in choosing your weapon. People don't always have to pick the "best" weapon (which, for some players, isn't really the best at all), they can use other good ones as well. Remember that improving other weapons in the same category can make them on par with the "best" weapon, which I did.

By the way, Quelmotz, stop it. Quit arguing with people that are actually correct. That is why I went along with sadukar123.

Your stats are COMPLETELY wrong. Scimitar should not be speed 5, mace should not lose its prayer, and battleaxe should not lose its strength.

So please stop arguing with my stats and other people at the same time. Capiche?

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

-Dagger VS Claws

-Shortsword VS Scimitar

-Mace VS Longsword

-Warhammer VS Battleaxe

-2H VS Halberd

I only nerfed the scimitar, because I wanted longsword to be the best. In most RPGs, they had longsword as one of the best weapons out there. Oh and keep in mind that I improved the rune longsword to make up for the loss of the rune scimitar so training won't be slowed down as much.

(I use a rune longsword, not because I'm uninformed, because it's one of my favorites of all time, and it still gives good xp in the free world.)

Oh, and why say people are uninformed when they do not use the best? Remember that personal preference plays a big role in choosing your weapon. People don't always have to pick the "best" weapon (which, for some players, isn't really the best at all), they can use other good ones as well. Remember that improving other weapons in the same category can make them on par with the "best" weapon, which I did.

By the way, Quelmotz, stop it. Quit arguing with people that are actually correct. That is why I went along with sadukar123.

Your stats are COMPLETELY wrong. Scimitar should not be speed 5, mace should not lose its prayer, and battleaxe should not lose its strength.

So please stop arguing with my stats and other people at the same time. Capiche?

Exactly, we should argue on how to make different weapon have more purpose and use, instead of making more items useless.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Please do point out where I said all my post were 100% constructive.

No, speed and terrain makes more difference. Skill makes almost difference whatsoever if 1 person is wearing armour and the other doesn't. The guy without is too fast for the guy with armour to hit. Compare a newly trained crossbow man with a knight that trained for 20 years, the crossbow man can kill him in 1 hit.

Then a war hammer (By your description) should be two handed? Or else it's light and barely able to do anything.

Since your posts weren't 100% constructive, then stop being hypocritical and telling other people that their posts weren't 100% constructive when yours aren't 100% constructive either. Fine, so you might think I'm a hypocrite, and does that give you a right to be a hypocrite and criticise me?

I never denied the fact that warhammers should be 2 handed. In fact, I want them to be 2 handed. Its more realistic.

-Dagger VS Claws

-Shortsword VS Scimitar

-Mace VS Longsword

-Warhammer VS Battleaxe

-2H VS Halberd

I can argue if I like, and its none of your business. Ask yourself where you got the inspiration to create this topic.

Sadukar123 isn't correct. He might be, in your opinion. So stop forcing your opinion on me. I believe he is wrong, so just because you think he is correct you can force me to stop arguing and not let me have my own opinion?

Again, I said those stuff are my own opinion. I can create my own stats if I want, and its up to you to use them or not. I was replying to zaaps1, by the way, not giving you stats to add in. You can have your own opinion, and I can have my own. So just because you

don't like it you can force me to change them and say they are COMPLETELY WRONG? Unfortunately, YOU are the one who is completely wrong in forcing me to change my opinions.

STOP FORCING YOUR OPINION ON ME

Exactly, we should argue on how to make different weapon have more purpose and use, instead of making more items useless.

That's what I was doing when you came along and started annoying people.

I would like them more...to make new better weapons. Like something for the higher leveled players (70ish).

We're talking about balancing f2p weapons here... :shock: :roll:

You just found a way to nerf the z spear, made the longswords obsolete, made short swords as good as scimmys, turned warhammer into the battle axe and massively over powered the hally all in one post.

This would also kill the current economy as shortswords would increase the scimmy prices, longswords would drop, hallys would increase massively, sara sword would increase massively z spear would drop.

I agree the amours need tweaking and maybe the daggers, but the rest are fine.

A little increase/decrease would allow the game to remain stable, but by implementing some of theses changes you would seriously upset the balance.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

You just found a way to nerf the z spear, made the longswords obsolete, made short swords as good as scimmys, turned warhammer into the battle axe and massively over powered the hally all in one post.

This would also kill the current economy as shortswords would increase the scimmy prices, longswords would drop, hallys would increase massively, sara sword would increase massively z spear would drop.

A little increase/decrease would allow the game to remain stable, but by implementing some of theses changes you would seriously upset the balance.

Nail in the coffin, Joe got it in 1 post.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Nail in the coffin, Joe got it in 1 post.

Nail halfway across the world away.

Armors need tweaking. Sure.

Daggers need tweaking. Sure.

Warhammers? They are BARELY used.

Maces? Seriously...

Shortswords? WHAT THE ....

Longswords? Crap.

Scimitars? Severely overpowered.

P.S. Don't mention dragon/whatever, we're talking about F2P here. Though I don't know why the OP made some changes to the halberds, spears, etc.

We don't want to upset the balance, seriously. We are trying to balance things out...Why don't you try and create your own stats on how to tweak the dagger/armor and I'll criticise them? You can't, can you?