6600GT 128mb vs FX 5500 128 mb. Worth the upgrade?

Nadril

Right now i'm using an FX 5500 128mb card. somewhat like THIS

However, I just got 100$ for my birthday. Add that to another 120$ I have.. and yeah, upgrade time! Thing is, I don't want to spend a lot. I'm going to get a nice new card at the end of the school year for college, but this thing I'm afraid wont last for long. It can barly run bf2, and always lags during it, as along with other games.

So, I was looking around at NewEgg, and I saw this gem: HERE

It seems like a nice price. $135 , has a core clock of 1000mhz. It's refurbshed so i'm going to look into that, but... here's what I found on their site:

DOOM 3 1024X768

6600GT: 62 fps

high FX 5700: 23 fps

mid/low FX 5700: 14 fps

Is it worth the price to upgrade for a year? I'm looking for something modest, you know, play most of my games in med settings, maybe stuff like half life 2 in high even, but just something that can run fast.

Incase your wondering, the rest of my specs are:

2.4Ghz Celeron (I know, need to get that upgraded sometime...)

1GB ram (forget which kind, works nice)

And of course, my current FX 5500 128mb.

so, what do you think I would see as far as a boost in preformance. If it's a good enough boost, mostly something I can play BF2 and FEAR when it comes out with some decent settings and a decent framerate (IMO, a 15-20 framerate realy sucks lol, what i'm going through o_O)

Thanks in advance,

~Nadril

I would get the XFX 6600GT.

I had it in my now-defunct computer, and it is pretty much the only component that has not actually broken or anything. I can also max it out on HL2 at 1280x1024 and still run at 40fps with no o/cing :shock: . I don't know if this is a mistake of some sort or what, but it runs everything I throw at it WONDERFULLY.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

that one is PCI though.. I want/need AGP :(

They both have the same spec's however.

EDIT: actualy, I don't have a AGP slot, so I need a PCI card :D

I belive i'm going to get a MSI 6600GT 128mb.

my friend recomended them, and I was looking at their site and they had a good ammount of awards, so they are known. That XFX card I couldn't even get their site to work.

You have the old classic PCI-interface only? Are you sure? :/

I'm not sure there are any new cards whatsoever to that platform, incluing the 6600GT. It's possible though.

I guess you might have meant PCI-E though, even though you should always specify that. In that case, go with any 6600GT. The difference between brands is minimal. Before ordering, be sure to look up your motherboard and make sure it has the slot and space you need.

You have the old classic PCI-interface only? Are you sure? :/

I'm not sure there are any new cards whatsoever to that platform, incluing the 6600GT. It's possible though.

I guess you might have meant PCI-E though, even though you should always specify that. In that case, go with any 6600GT. The difference between brands is minimal. Before ordering, be sure to look up your motherboard and make sure it has the slot and space you need.

Yeah, guess I should have. I'm 99% sure I have it.

I'll check with my dad today and we see if it will be fine :D . I'm just going with the MSI because a friend recomended it :)

fo sure

New Egg rocks...not to mention you'll prolly get your card 1-2 days earlier than they quote 8)

Awsome :D

Ordered it yesterday, they said 3-5 days. Came out to be 140$ too! :o

fo sure

New Egg rocks...not to mention you'll prolly get your card 1-2 days earlier than they quote 8)

I assume you got the AGP 8x version? Because unless you have an athlon 64 or new P4 I doubt you'd have PCI-E. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

fo sure

I assume you got the AGP 8x version? Because unless you have an athlon 64 or new P4 I doubt you'd have PCI-E. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

Yeah, I just found that out yesterday, after I ordered :x . Good thing is I can return it.

My parrents PC downstairs is an AMD 64 3200+ with an AGP slot (I don't have one up on mine) so I may swap with them, and instead get an AGP card from newegg. (same thing, 6600GT, just AGP)

In the future, wouldn't it be easier to simply post your computer specs when asking for advice? That way you can be sure to get the right components from the start. :/

In the future, wouldn't it be easier to simply post your computer specs when asking for advice? That way you can be sure to get the right components from the start. :/

Yeah, I will. guess I didn't think that PCI-E was "that" new of a thing, oops :oops: .

Will all work out however. :)