Would you play this?

zooapop

(First if you read my post called Ready...Aim...FIRE!!! this is the same thing just updated, so do no snipe me for stealing another persons idea when it was actually mine to begin with.)

Story plot

Larko the Fisherman is infamamis whale fisher in the village of Rellekka and just recentely made a huge discovery to the fishing community. He disovered a new fishing spot that contians whales and giant squid just north of miscellania and etceteria, and has decided to allow people to travel on his boat to this spot to try a hand at catching these massive beasts.

Requirements:

82 fishing

6 people

Fremennik Trails Quest completed.

Suggested Skills:

A team with at least 2 people who have at least 30 construction.

95 fishing is required to catch whales.

A high Range level would help (decreases misses)

This mini game is setup like trawler (but different in a few unique ways). The basic setup is a team of 6 people are on one boat specailly fitted to kill whales and giant squid. There are a total of 4 harpoon guns to allow a max of 4 whales or squid to be hunted at one time. The other two people (a max of 3) are down below the decks of the ship at hand to fix any damage that may happen to the ship on this dangerous voyage.

Using the harpoon and killing

Now at the beggining of the game your team will be on top deck of the ship with the 4 harpoon guns loaded and waiting to be fired. This means a maxium of 4 people can be firing the harpoon guns and a minium of 3, it should also be noted that when you are in game there will be 6 boxes above of your chat box and they will display one of your teammates name, these can be used to pm players conviently during the minigame. I will now explane how to kill a whale or a giant squid. When you man a harpoon gun a screen will pop and a a random mixture of whales and squid will appear. There will only be a maxium of 5 whales or squid on the screen at one time. Firing the harpoon is simple, a crosshair similiar to the one in the random event where you must use the claw to capture the evil twin sister, will appear on your screen. Next to the screen there should be a box that pops up and it should display four arrow keys (up, down, left, right.) and a button that says FIRE. The arrow keys as you may have guessed control which direction your crosshair moves and the fire button shoots the harpoon.

On the screen there will be 2-3 (depending if there are 4 harpooners in total or not) other crosshairs. These crosshairs are red and yours is black. These other crosshairs are your teamates crosshairs, this will allow you to see what whale or squid they are attempting to attack or are already attacking and will help you determine what whale to attack to help kill it.

Killing a whale requires 4 hits with the harpoon to die and squid require 3. If you happen to shoot and miss the target you will have to wait 5 seconds to reload the harpoon. Your Range attack level has effect on how frequently you miss. The higher your range level the less often you miss. If you hit the target you still have to wait 5 seconds to reload the harpoon. When a whale or squid dies it takes 30 seconds for a new whale or squid to respawn.

Repair and Bailing

Down below the decks is far from peaceful, while team mates from above deck are firing at the whales and squid, the players below the deck are fixing up holes and bailing out water from the enraged beasts thrashing about.

The equipment for bailing and patching can be found in a chest down in the hull where the players repairing a bailing are. Inside the chest are planks, nails, hammers, and buckets. To fix a hole a player must use his or her plank on the hole. Sounds simple enough right? It gets more compicated. The hull will not recieve any holes until the first harpoon has been fired after that holes will apear 10 seconds after the next one. The hull can have up to 8 holes in it at once and the more holes there are the faster the water will flood the boat.

This is where construction really plays its role, players with 1-29 construction can expect a repair to last 10 seconds before it will break. Players with 30-39 construction can expect a repair to last 12 seconds, players with 40-49 can expect 14 second repairs, 50-59 16 second repairs, 60-69 18 second repairs, 70-79 20 second repairs, 80-89 22 second repairs, 90+ can expect 24 second repairs.

Bailing water is accomplished by clicking your bucket and using it on the water that is sitting in the boat. A progress bar will appear when you are in the hull showing how much water is in the boat. When the bar is completely filled the boat will sink.

Rewards and conclusion

A game lasts about 10 minutes before the boat returns to port. When the boat finally does return the players are ejected from the boat and appear on the dock where Larko the fisherman is. Players MUST talk to Larko to recieve the experience and the reward.

Expierence

For every whale that is caught you recieve 500 fishing expierence and for every squid you recieve 250 expierence.

For every hole that is repaired you recieve 50 expierence for 29 and below construction plus 50 added every 10 levels, for example 30-39 gets 100, 40-49 gets 150 and so on and so forth. The experience is divided among your personal score, except for fishing everyone gets a part of the fishing. It should also be noted that at any time you may switch roles while on the boat. So a person harpooning could request (using the pm system mentioned at the beggining of the thread) to go to the hull and a person in the hull can request to go top deck and harpoon.

*NOTE* I set it up so that you actually have to patch holes to gain experience because otherwise it would become too easy to get construction expierence. The reason why fishing expierence is given to everyone is because they earned the expierence too because without them the boat would sink and there would be no oppertunity to kill whales or squid.

Reward

When you talk to Larko he will fill your inventory with (Some rewards are negotiable because they require new uses, but some rewards like whale meat, are not)

Whale parts:

Whale eyes, Whale meat, Whale tongue, and Whale blubber.

Squid Parts:

Squid eye, squid tenticles, and squid meat.

The cool thing about these rewards are they open up new ideas for Herblore and Fire Making. It would also provide new cooking expierence oppertunities. Whale eyes sound like potion ingredients don't they? Whale blubber could be used for a new lamp or maybe it could make oil for regular oil lamps that won't burn out when it falls in water. The whale meat could heal 24 or 25 and would require at least 93 cooking. The Squid meat would heal 18 and would require 74 cooking. Cooking expierence I am going to leave to jagex to figure out.

Losing

If the boat sinks while at sea, you lose all fish and do not recieve any expierence for the trip. You wash up on the beach with the rock crabs and will have to make your way back to Larko to retry the minigame.

I realize this sounds a lot like trawler, but i think it has very interesting game qaulities that seperate them. If you notice anything that doens't fit tell me ill fix it, i rewrote this at 3:32 in the morning so there is bound to be errors.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a second Idea for the boat.

I think there should be a boat for 99 only fisherman, 6 people per boat and the only difference is there are only whales to harpoon and during the last 3 minutes of the game a giant cracken appears and you must kill it to get the bonus expierence. If you fail to kill it in the last three minutes a cutscene will take place of your boat fleeing the thrashing cracken.

Notes on the cracken

10 hits to kill the cracken

10,000 fishing expierence as an added bonus to your final score for killing it.

A random chance at getting the head of the cracken as a trophy. (Larko will provide the taxidermy services if desired)

The game play stays the same, when the cracken appears all whales swim off (even the ones your are killing). There will be a message that appears in your chat box warning you 1 minute ahead that the cracken is coming.

Battling the Cracken

The cracken takes 10 hits of the harpoon to kill it. Down below the hull, when the cracken arrives all water is shaken out of the hull by the force of the cracken and 8 wholes are formed. It is up to the Repairers to quickly fix the holes before the water floods the boat. After the first 8 holes are repaired the cracken will create 2 holes ever 10 seconds. If all 8 holes are not repaired within 30 seconds two holes will start forming 10 seconds after 30 seconds have passed. The construction level patching bonuses apply as normal.

Well these are all my ideas sorry for the long thread, like I said above, tell me what you would improve upon or tell me about your concerns with how the game works. Thanks for reading!

Do i smell some thread jacking ? :?

There was already a thread on whaling (cant find it atm tho)

and no i wouldn't play it (well i cant [only 51 fish])

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

If you are harpooning, should Range level not be taken into account somehow?

+1, ranged if you shoot it, melee if you directly stab it.

I think I'd would play this just to try it. Tbh it would depend on Jagex's job in development. If they did a fantastic job on an idea that was crappy, I would still love the game, simply because it would be fun. Likewise, if you have an amazing game but totally screw up the development, I would not play it.

Although this idea has too many things in common with the trawler. You should make it a little more unique.

• 1 month later...

I think I'd would play this just to try it. Tbh it would depend on Jagex's job in development. If they did a fantastic job on an idea that was crappy, I would still love the game, simply because it would be fun. Likewise, if you have an amazing game but totally screw up the development, I would not play it.

Although this idea has too many things in common with the trawler. You should make it a little more unique.

Yeah I reckon it all falls down to the development in the end. A great idea will be ruined by crappy development, but great development will really make a crappy idea look good.

As for your actual idea, it has already been mentioned. But the ideas you have are decent.

disturbeda.png

I probably wouldn't, as I'm not the most accomplished of fishers, but I'd like to point out that kraken is spelt with a two ks, and no cs.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

• 2 weeks later...

I would, but only because I am also 99 fishing... I think a Distractions and Diversions would be a better choice. Possibly a whale of different sorts shows up in a random spot off of so and so shore. And you go down to the trawler to spot them or something and he tells you a story of how he lost great sailors to a giant whale off of 'X' shore..and so on and so forth.

I would play it if I had the fishing level, yes.

Sounds fuun. :thumbsup:

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

Again with the combat. Has noone noticed how much RuneScape relies on combat? The most skill-relying minigame is stealing creation and people with high combat levels run that.

I dont need a siggy no moar.