Getting my old files to my new comp.

Quinton595

Hey guys, me again (Oh noes..)

The build went well.. did it in a few hours.

Everything seems to be working well for now.

However, i need to get my old files to my new comp...

Files that are actually programs, like games and stuff.

Im not sure if i can just pop them on an external hard drive, and put them on my new comp, and they'll be installed.

I've gotten my documents and my pics on the new comp, but im not sure on how to handle applications.

The programs who's files i NEED to keep (Because i've worked hard to unlock/create them)

Spore: All the creations

NFS: All the cars i've unlocked

The Sims 1 and 2 : All my houses

Halo Custom Edtition: All the maps and what-not

RCT3: The parks i've made

All the applications that would take an UNGODLY amount of time to download again.(Wow, Eve-Online, Combat Arms, Gimp, GMAX (I'm talking 37 hours here just for WoW))

Any help is definitely appreciated.

I DO have an external hard drive (250gb) if needed.

And I do have a SATA cable, in case i could just directly hook up the old HDD with my new comp. (While I know this would work, however, I don't want to risk having any hidden viruses from my HDD travel to my new clean HDD.)

Thanks again!

PS: Thanks to everyone as well for helping with the build.

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Just copy the freaking files on a flash drive/external hard drive.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Wasn't the build for your friend?

Long before that he built a computer for him self.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

And I do have a SATA cable, in case i could just directly hook up the old HDD with my new comp. (While I know this would work, however, I don't want to risk having any hidden viruses from my HDD travel to my new clean HDD.)
Then you can't transfer the files over.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

You can't always transfer all files over and expect the final thing to be 'installed; it doesn't work like that. There's often registry values and other files that are needed that you can't copy. I know some things on your list will be fine. Spore creations should be re-downloaded when you install Spore on the new machine and sign in with your account.

You should be able to transfer maps from Halo over, and probably Sims Houses and RCT parks. Things like WoW will need to be downloaded again unless you have a disk or can make a backup copy on a disc I think. I don't know about these for certain though, Spore is the only game I have on your list.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

You can't always transfer all files over and expect the final thing to be 'installed; it doesn't work like that. There's often registry values and other files that are needed that you can't copy. I know some things on your list will be fine. Spore creations should be re-downloaded when you install Spore on the new machine and sign in with your account.

You should be able to transfer maps from Halo over, and probably Sims Houses and RCT parks. Things like WoW will need to be downloaded again unless you have a disk or can make a backup copy on a disc I think. I don't know about these for certain though, Spore is the only game I have on your list.

Hmm.. Well that sounds good for the Sims and RCT parks... thing is for spore, i don't want just the creations, but the worlds as well. (IE. i want my existing civilizations and stuff to still be there, so i don't have an empty galaxy on the new comp)

PS. Actually, the build WAS for me.. :roll: ::'

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

You could try and transfer the SPORE folder from C:\Documents and Settings\Yournamehere\Application Data , though I don't think that will work. Past experience from this kind tells me that you just have to start again. Sorry :(

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

You could try and transfer the SPORE folder from C:\Documents and Settings\Yournamehere\Application Data , though I don't think that will work. Past experience from this kind tells me that you just have to start again. Sorry :(

Geeze.. I really hope it does.. i got a ton of planets and stuff..

Anyways, for the other applications. like the sims, should I install the game first, then transfer the files, and just slot them in to their appropriate folders?

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

[hide=Moving Sims 2 saves for XP]Location of Sims 2 saved files: (Omat tiedostot = own files, personal files, I also censored my (profile) name out)

simsfiles.png

Copy the old save folder onto the external hard drive. (keep the original saves on the old hard drive in case something goes wrong)

Install Sims 2 on the new computer. Remember to install all the add-ons you had on the old one too, otherwise the saved files DO NOT WORK.

Start the game and open a neighbourhood so it creates the saved files. (although it might do that already on install, I'm not sure)

Close the game, rename the folder that has the saves created by the game on the new hard drive. (again, it's always good to keep the original ones available)

Paste the folder from the external hard drive there.

I'm 99% sure this works. I have never had to move my Sims 2 saves, though. Only taken a backup copy in case of having to format C drive (again -.- ) or something.[/hide]

For Vista, it is the same progress except the saves might be a bit more difficult to find. (I almost start to cry whenever I try to find my sister's files, I'm stupid enough to not write their location up <.<)

I hope my (maybe a bit messy written-at-23:25) explanation can help you. ::'

Just remember to have backups of all the files you mess with so my instructions will not lead to your Sims 2 files ending up in the bithell :shock: (that happened to me once after four months of playing, didn't have any backups and C drive went poof, had to format it :cry: )

And don't think I doubt your skills with computers by writing down the whole thing all the way from the folder locations for the saved files (you might know that already, though I can not be sure, now can I? ^^), just wanted to make sure I include every single helpful thing I know in there ^^

Master of Attack ~ August 29th, 2010

Proud to have served the awesome Tip.It Crew <3

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

PS. Actually, the build WAS for me.

So what, you just used the "my friend" excuse just so you'd get some help? :lol:

Anyways:

Saved Games/custom content you can just reinstall the game on your new PC and then transfer over specific folders (saves and whatever else) over to it.

WoW you can just copy over the entire game.

The other games I'm not sure if they create something in the registry or not, you'll probably need to reinstall them.

PS. Actually, the build WAS for me.

So what, you just used the "my friend" excuse just so you'd get some help? :lol:

Anyways:

Saved Games/custom content you can just reinstall the game on your new PC and then transfer over specific folders (saves and whatever else) over to it.

WoW you can just copy over the entire game.

The other games I'm not sure if they create something in the registry or not, you'll probably need to reinstall them.

Hehe.. just in case there were still some grudges from the last post..

Anyways i was able to locate the exact folder for spore with the saved files.. so everything is good there.. i guess this is lockable...

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

Sadly, you can't just copy over a few files and have a program installed. The game, or program, usually installs dependencies all over the place. You could copy over houses and maps though, it would probably be found in C-->Program Files-->Ea games-->Sims 2-->neighborhoods, or some such thing. Just go with the logical path.