The Jagex Mentality

chazzycaz

I hardly ever make a rant about Jagex, frankly I think that they have been doing a great job up till now. It does bother me though that now more than ever they have adopted a "If it doesnt work first time, change it" mentality. This is shown more than ever in their latest Dev Diary.

* Graphical testing in both Standard and High Detail modes. Unfortunately, the lying down animation shown in the previous Development Diary had to be removed, as it was causing excessive graphical bugs with clothing items. This has been replaced with a slight variation of the sitting down animation.

The lying down animation caused graphical bugs. Solution: Remove it.

Dont work hard in order to fix it, and so be more knowledgable about these types of bugs in the future, no remove it. Dont remodel it to a different version of lying down instead, make it sitting down as a replacement - What a great, dull, bland and boring action to watch my character perform!

Anyway, it seems like this is Jagex all over in recent times, many of their updates have had serious flaws and now they seem to always resort to the simpler option.

I am glad Jagex are working hard for the gaming community, but sometimes issues such as the one above - promoting their own slovenliness - bother me.

What do you guys think, are Jagex doing a great job or have they confirmed the belief that they work around hard problems.

(No Flaming please, and its a discussion point not a rant) Edit: I guess it is a rant I suppose, I apologise.

erjypx.jpg

Just kidding ladies, you know I love you =D

Guide to Making Money with NPC Trading

First of all, this is in the rants section.

Second of all, you don't like it, you change it.

If you don't like it, then don't use it!

If you're complaining about lying down, then change it yourself, go program code and change the animations then.

You pay for what you get, and I think I paid my 5 bucks a month, and the money was well spent.

Jagex isn't perfect, why do you people expect people to be perfect?

Besides, Jagex is so helpful now, they tell you what they're doing, and even reply to peoples questions.

So really, rant somewhere else.

Neilson1111.png16800000+ 15000000+ 9mil

GWD Drops:(Lootshare)

2 Bandos Hilts, 1 BCP, 1 Bandos Tassets, 17 Snapdragon Seeds

Slayer Drops:

7 Abbysal Whips, 37 Dragon Boots, 17 Mauls, 1 visage. Total Loot: 43mil+

I hardly ever make a rant about Jagex, frankly I think that they have been doing a great job up till now. It does bother me though that now more than ever they have adopted a "If it doesnt work first time, change it" mentality. This is shown more than ever in their latest Dev Diary.

* Graphical testing in both Standard and High Detail modes. Unfortunately, the lying down animation shown in the previous Development Diary had to be removed, as it was causing excessive graphical bugs with clothing items. This has been replaced with a slight variation of the sitting down animation.

Dont work hard in order to fix it, and so be more knowledgable about these types of bugs in the future, no remove it. Dont remodel it to a different version of lying down instead, make it sitting down as a replacement - What a great, dull, bland and boring action to watch my character perform!

Anyway, it seems like this is Jagex all over in recent times, many of their updates have had serious flaws and now they seem to always resort to the simpler option.

I am glad Jagex are working hard for the gaming community, but sometimes issues such as the one above - promoting their own slovenliness - bother me.

What do you guys think, are Jagex doing a great job or have they confirmed the belief that they work around hard problems.

(No Flaming please, and its a discussion point not a rant)

Is this the first time they've done this? Or have they done this before? If so when? can you point it out?
xxteargodxx.png

Is this the first time they've done this? Or have they done this before? If so when? can you point it out?

Really, like he said, did laying down ever happen before?

Neilson1111.png16800000+ 15000000+ 9mil

GWD Drops:(Lootshare)

2 Bandos Hilts, 1 BCP, 1 Bandos Tassets, 17 Snapdragon Seeds

Slayer Drops:

7 Abbysal Whips, 37 Dragon Boots, 17 Mauls, 1 visage. Total Loot: 43mil+

A lying down animation replaced with a sitting down animation isn't a big deal...

You wouldn't want them to use time and resources for a meaningless animation that can be easily replaced by nother now would ya?

If they would have tried to fix the animation,an update planned for the future could be delayed because of the time used to fix that animation...

How is this not a rant? Besides you don't know how difficult it would be to implement something like laying down. Why go through all the effort to implement an insignificant graphical change to the game if it's going to take more effort than it's worth?

awesomeaa9.png

How is this not a rant? Besides you don't know how difficult it would be to implement something like laying down. Why go through all the effort to implement an insignificant graphical change to the game if it's going to take more effort than it's worth?

Exactly, what would the point of spending time working out clothing glitches just to make the character lie down, when it would be easier to just have them sit? Do you want to lay down so badly that you would rather they waste time that could be spent working on exciting new updates, just so you can lie down instead of sitting?

It's not laziness, it's common sense. If a problem can be solved in multiple ways, and neither will affect the ultimate outcome, then the easiest method will always be the right one.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

So, they say that they were encountering problems with a minor aesthetic feature, removed it, and it's bad? Ehhh...

They did this before the release. That alone is a sign that the mentality is changing. Before, they would have had lying down with bugs, and we'd be here ranting about that :lol:

And there's absoulutely no possible chance..Not even 0.001%..That they removed it to work on it? And replaced it whilst they work on it?

My thoughts exactly. Just because they removed it, doesn't mean it is gone for good. They could still be looking into it, trying to get it right. I'm sure we'll find out at a later point.

Problem is you have no idea how complicated it would have been to make the characters lie without glitches. There's a lot of clothing items in the game now, who knows how many would have to be remodelled to avoid glitching while lieing down. (that's traditionally been the response to such glitches and often those clothing remodellings are unpopular)

Question:

would you have preferred additional no update weeks so that they could make the player lie with no glitches? Or in that case would you just have them sit?

There's a difference between lazyness and directing resources where they're most needed. Chances are Jagex aren't using the time gained by making them sit to put their feet up.