Laptops?

Intriguing

I kind of feel like a jerk posting here and asking this, as I'd assume there are a tonne of people coming in here asking for advice, then arguing with the people giving it to them.. Anyway, I'm going to uni next year, and it would be great if I could have a computer of my own, particularly if it's portable. I'm okay with spending a bit of money as long as it lasts me a while.

- Processor: I mostly just browse, look at videos, or write on Sibelius, but I do play games every now and then, and I'd like it if the computer could handle that.

- Graphics Card: Same as above. Advice would be particularly helpful in this aspect.

- RAM: I'd assume 4GB?

- Memory: Not too much of an issue I guess. If it's not enough, I can just get an external hard drive (Advice might be helpful there as well).

- Battery Life: That is assuming I should get a laptop. It would be fantastic if it had a decent battery life, but I may be asking for too much.

- Screen size: What would you guys recommend? I'm under the assumption anything 15" or more would get a bit bulky to carry around. I could pretty easily just buy an extra monitor to use when I get home, if you have any recommendations on that as well.

- Wireless: It would be fantastic if I could get wireless internet on it.

- Price: Anything less than $2500AU is okay. That's including the external hard drive and extra monitor if they're necessary.

- Lifespan: How long should I expect my laptop to last for?

I know I could have just put this into a search engine, but to be perfectly honest, I don't know very much about computers, so my attempts at that didn't get me very far. I'm also sorry I couldn't be more specific. If there is any other information I need to include, let me know.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. :)

Cool.

I'm not fussed. The computer I use at the moment has Vista, but as long as it runs games and Sibelius, I can use something else.

Edit: I should probably mention games, hey? I mostly play things like CS:S, AoE, Oblivion, the Witcher, Mount & Blade, etc. They all work on my current computer, which is probably only worth $500, so I doubt they'll be a problem. I want to play GTA IV as well, but it is like 10fps on this computer, even at the absolute lowest settings. It would be nice if the computer could perform above my gaming demands though, because I want to be able to use it for a few years if I can.

Cool.

Got any links to a couple of Austrailian computer dealers?

People struggle with GTA4 on highend desktops, e.g; 4gb ram, C2Q/P2 at ~3ghz and 4870 1gb. It's a really badly optimized game. If you want to play it on a laptop on any decent settings you'll have to fork out a lot of money (tho i don't know what you get for 2500au).

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Got any links to a couple of Austrailian computer dealers?

People struggle with GTA4 on highend desktops, e.g; 4gb ram, C2Q/P2 at ~3ghz and 4870 1gb. It's a really badly optimized game. If you want to play it on a laptop on any decent settings you'll have to fork out a lot of money (tho i don't know what you get for 2500au).

http://www.myshopping.com.au/PT--3_Laptops

http://www.shopbot.com.au/laptops/portable-devices/australia/115

http://www.getprice.com.au/laptops.htm

http://www.mln.com.au/

http://www.laptop.com.au/

Fair enough about GTA IV. If I can't play it, I can live with that. I would like it if the computer could play some relatively high-quality games on at least the lowest settings though. As for the $2500, it's not an exact amount, I can pay more if I need to. I guess I'm kind of hoping I can get a fairly good-quality computer for that amount.

Cool.

Checked around a bit, and this was the best i could find for the price: http://www.wireless1.com.au/ProductList ... P%2fCompaq

The gpu is similar to desktop 8600/9500gt. Now, before i bought a new graphics card i had a 8600gt ddr2 256mb. At 1280x1024 on Far Cry 2 on medium settings i got about 20-22fps, Test Drive Unlimited - circa 30-40fps on high settings (card a bit overclocked).

Check so the gpu uses ddr3 memory.

For the price, the laptop specs were about the same at different dealers.

Hopefully a few others will link to a couple of more alternatives.

Thanks for that mate. With the very little that I know about computers, that's looking pretty good. Just wondering, how are laptops in terms of being able to upgrade them? Like, if I wanted to put a new graphics card into that (I don't think I'll need to, but still), could that be done?

Edit: Just checked some reviews on other sites, and I don't think I saw even one that was negative. Thank you for researching Joe. :)

Cool.

Well, unfortunately MXM (mobile pci-e) isn't widely used (shame really). So on the laptop gpu front you are locked in (apart from a few models).

Something like /WF06b/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-3884606-3938983.html]this is what you'd have to get (just an example) if you want better graphics, but as you see you pay alot more for what you get compared to yours.

For your processor, I reccomend a core 2 duo from Intel. It's the best processor they put in laptops for now (I believe so, anyways), and it'll run nicely. When you say "memory", I assume you mean disk space, which is very cheap right now. Laptop hard drives are a little more expensive than those for a desktop, but you could probably get a nice 500 gig one for a decent price.

As for an OS, you've got three main options (assuming you're just an average user with average needs). You can go with Windows (probably vista, XP if you like that better). Windows is good as it will let you continue to run your games, and it is what most classes will want.

Next option is Mac OSX, which is perfect if you just want simple usability. You can set up a utility known as "boot camp" to run your windows games and applications, pm me if you go with mac and want to set that up. The other thing to take into consideration is that Mac is generally considered very good for all sorts of multimedia projects, and is sometimes even required for classes doing multimedia.

Finally, you can set up Ubuntu, which is definatley becoming more usable with time, though you probably won't be able to run many of your games on it. Its pros are that it is cheap and secure, but it isn't very mainstream, and so has hardly any games.

Here's a decentish dell laptop that would suit your needs--http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1530?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Here's a mac, which are expensive but are just about the hawtest things ever http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features-15inch.html

And as for ubuntu, you can install it on any laptop, so hardware isn't an issue. And one last consideration--all new laptops you could buy come with wireless, so that will not be an issue for you.

Note1: He is from kangaroo and foster's country =)

Note2: i7 is the best laptop cpu.

They're making i7 laptops? Link to one?

http://web.eurocom.com/EC/ec_model_config1(1,202,0)

Err, link doesn't want to work. Copy paste the whole of it

They're making i7 laptops? Link to one?

http://web.eurocom.com/EC/ec_model_config1(1,202,0)

Err, link doesn't want to work. Copy paste the whole of it

Interesting, they made that fast. And it only costs $3000, with lowest options!

(14 grand when it is made as nice as possible. Windows server edition ftw!)

I've pretty well only heard good things about MacBooks, but I think the MacBook Pro is a bit out of my price range. The HP PAVILION DV5-1010TX is sounding really good at the moment, especially if I can get it for $2000, so I can spend the other $500 on a screen and external hard drive. Only thing about it is that some people have reported problems with overheating.

Cool.

I've pretty well only heard good things about MacBooks, but I think the MacBook Pro is a bit out of my price range. The HP PAVILION DV5-1010TX is sounding really good at the moment, especially if I can get it for $2000, so I can spend the other $500 on a screen and external hard drive. Only thing about it is that some people have reported problems with overheating.
Wait until June if you're looking for a MacBook. The WhiteBook just got bumped today:

- Processsor speed bumped from 2.0 GHz to 2.13 GHz.

- RAM speed bumped from 667 MHz to 800 MHz.

- Hard drive capacity increased from 120 GB to 160 GB. Build-to-order options up to 500 GB are now available, up from a previous maximum of 320 GB. Notably, the aluminum MacBook and MacBook Pro continue to offer maximum hard drive capacities of 320 GB.

Still $999USD, $1599AU.

The Aluminium MacBook/Pro should be updated during WWDC, June 8th-12th if this bump is any notion.

CS:S, AoE, Oblivion, the Witcher, Mount & Blade, etc.

People reported unplayable game FPS with GTA, though. I know the MacBook is capable of running Crysis and CS:S, if that's any indication, as I haven't found anything on the others (nor have I heard of them :P ).

EDIT: Here's something you might like, should the current Pro's be to expensive if you're considering a Mac (although this one goes above your budget as well).

hopesolopatriot.jpg

The white book got a too crappy gpu for any new games.

And wow, almost a 1k more for a mac with worse specs.

Sure, 9400 might work for CS&co, but if you'd want it to last a while i wouldn't invest in it.

The white book got a too crappy gpu for any new games.

And wow, almost a 1k more for a mac with worse specs.

Sure, 9400 might work for CS&co, but if you'd want it to last a while i wouldn't invest in it.

1K more versus what?
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Ze one i posted.

Ze one i posted.
It depends on what you find important. The one you posted has a horrible resolution in comparison and a heavier weight. The MacBook has an LED display (not that he'd notice), DVI port (can you go from HDMI to DVI?) and multitouch sans four finger swipes. The one you posted has better GPU, more HDD space (I'm assuming it's two drive, then? Notebook HDDs only go up to 500GB.), HDMI, faster processor, and faster clocked RAM.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Ze one i posted.
It depends on what you find important. The one you posted has a horrible resolution in comparison and a heavier weight. The MacBook has an LED display (not that he'd notice), DVI port (can you go from HDMI to DVI?) and multitouch sans four finger swipes. The one you posted has better GPU, more HDD space (I'm assuming it's two drive, then? Notebook HDDs only go up to 500GB.), HDMI, faster processor, and faster clocked RAM.

The screen isn't all that important for me, as I'm going to be buying a screen to plug it into for home use anyway. That said, I don't even know what DVI is.

Cool.

laura, generally HDMI ports on laptops are for output, not input. So, you would be going from DVI to HDMI, which is very simple with the proper adapter. Unfortunately, the HDMI on OldJoe's is probably more effective. At least on the Dell XPS M1330, I am able to output video and sound through HDMI. You would not be able to do the same with a DVI to HDMI adapter. I've hooked up a 46" flat screen to the laptop and output the sound through HDMI to a reciever. I was able to play music and work at the same time through the laptop.

He might notice the LED display. In general, LED displays are much more power effiecient, and so he'd notice improved battery life.

Intriguing, a DVI port is a type of port that connects monitors to computers with better quality picture than VGA.

laura, generally HDMI ports on laptops are for output, not input. So, you would be going from DVI to HDMI, which is very simple with the proper adapter. Unfortunately, the HDMI on OldJoe's is probably more effective. At least on the Dell XPS M1330, I am able to output video and sound through HDMI. You would not be able to do the same with a DVI to HDMI adapter. I've hooked up a 46" flat screen to the laptop and output the sound through HDMI to a reciever. I was able to play music and work at the same time through the laptop.

He might notice the LED display. In general, LED displays are much more power effiecient, and so he'd notice improved battery life.

Intriguing, a DVI port is a type of port that connects monitors to computers with better quality picture than VGA.

Right, but is there a male HDMI to female DVI adapter? So that way you could output using HDMI>DVI? They're both digital, but DVI doesn't carry sound.

Eh, you're right about the LED, but there's nothing really noticeable about the display itself.

The screen isn't all that important for me, as I'm going to be buying a screen to plug it into for home use anyway. That said, I don't even know what DVI is.
Then it's probably not worth considering. DVI is standard and is present on nearly all monitors alongside a more outdated port, VGA. VGA works by first outputting a digital signal which is then converted into an analog signal. The problem with this is that there's a loss of quality on larger displays with higher resolutions. DVI and HDMI are all digital, so no conversions are necessary; it's near the same quality. What this means for you is that with only VGA and HDMI options, you're limited to the monitors with decent qualities you can choose. Currently, there aren't all too many displays on the market that have an HDMI input (and a lot of them use TN panels) versus displays with DVI. VGA is present on many of them, more so than DVI I would think, but a loss of quality is present on larger screens. Where as with DVI, you would have a much broadened range of choices. Digital (DVI) can also be converted into analog (VGA) but not vise versa.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Right, but is there a male HDMI to female DVI adapter? So that way you could output using HDMI>DVI? They're both digital, but DVI doesn't carry sound.

Eh, you're right about the LED, but there's nothing really noticeable about the display itself.

There is a male DVI to female HDMI. Thus, you connect your DVI to HDMI adapter to your DVI port on your laptop, and then you connect your HDMI cable to the adapter to the TV. LED backlit displays are generally brighter, too.

But that's not going from HDMI to DVI, which limits the porting options. Eh, I notice little difference between my two laptops, CCFL and LED. Perhaps they can go brighter but the manufacturers still limit it via firmware.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

But that's not going from HDMI to DVI, which limits the porting options. Eh, I notice little difference between my two laptops, CCFL and LED. Perhaps they can go brighter but the manufacturers still limit it via firmware.

If you put the adapter at the other end, IE you are connecting an HDMI port on the laptop to a monitor with a DVI port, connect the adapter to the monitor, and connect the HDMI cable between.

I had limited brightness on battery, but then I adjusted the limit in the BIOS. I was able to get the screen much brighter than the CCFL counterparts in the house. At the moment, I have 3 laptops with CCFL backlights, and 1 with LED. The LED is MUCH brighter.