Last one to post wins

ProtoGuy

I'm planning on making a desktop. Is there any way to incorporate my current laptop hard drive into it in addition to the one I'm getting specifically for the desktop?

I don't really know much about computers. Can I access the content of multiple hard drives simultaneously? Would I have to manually switch between the two? Is it possible at all?

i think its possible.

we had two drives... drive C and drive D

and whenever we saved stuff it;d ask which drive to save it to etc.

I thought those just accessed different parts of the same drive. I have more than 1 on my laptop too. Does that mean I actually physically have more than one hard drive in my laptop?

I'm planning on making a desktop. Is there any way to incorporate my current laptop hard drive into it in addition to the one I'm getting specifically for the desktop?

I don't really know much about computers. Can I access the content of multiple hard drives simultaneously? Would I have to manually switch between the two? Is it possible at all?

I don't know about the laptop hdd in particular, but in general you can hook up multiple drives and just see them in your "My computer" the same way you'd see a USB stick. You'd have to yank the laptop drive though and see what kind of connector it has on it. My gut feeling says it would be fine but I'm not sure.

Also you'd need a mobo on your desktop with multiple ports, almost all of them have that though.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Yes it is, however only if you have more than one hard drive seat. You may run into complications though. I'm not sure laptop hard drives can be put into pcs.

i think its possible.

I thought those just accessed different parts of the same drive. I have more than 1 on my laptop too. Does that mean I actually physically have more than one hard drive in my laptop?

Probably, but its not guaranteed unless you look at your specs closely. Its possible you have one hard disk with multiple partitions on it.

Yes it is, however only if you have more than one hard drive seat. You may run into complications though. I'm not sure laptop hard drives can be put into pcs.

Did a little more research - it's probably a standard SATA connector so you should be able to connect it fine, but mounting it might be difficult as the mounts for desktop hard drives and laptop ones may be different.

EDIT: And yes, one drive, multiple partitions is much more likely with a laptop.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

i think its possible.

im not a tech person...

but if i go to my windows 7 lappy now..

it says :

hard disk drive (1) -- C

devices with removable storage (1) -- dvd disc drive

i think its possible.

This basically. If you use the one from your laptop, it's just basically an extra hard drive. You'd have your desktop one C, and then whatever you name your laptop one.

17175_s.gif

[spoiler=Quotes]

Goddammit Monk, stop being so full of win.

I am Monk's [bleep]

Okay, cool. That was my biggest concern. As long as it can be done, I'm good. Thanks.

Do any of you know of a good guide for the actual assembly of a computer?

Just pulled up one from a quick search.

17175_s.gif

[spoiler=Quotes]

Goddammit Monk, stop being so full of win.

I am Monk's [bleep]

LOL I already lost 2.5 pounds since last night. That should be accurate since I weighed myself in boxers both times and took a crap before each weigh-in.

This is easier than I thought.

I'm hungry though.