Generic mp3 player decision topic

Futurama

Right, well i need to buy an mp3 player (at least an hour and a halfs wait/journey on the bus to and from college everyday)

I'm looking for between 256mb and 512mb, and for it to be simple. I can't afford much - i'm a student after all - so long battery life is essential to me :wink:

I dont really buy many small electronics, most of the equipment i buy costs over ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã100 (somethin like ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã1500 worth of equipment in this room alone roffles :P)

Any suggestions would be awesome :)

logo.jpg

I just bought a Creative MuVo TX FM 512MB, The flash part seperates from the battery compartment so it can be directly plugged into USB ports, no wires. I have no comparison but reviews I have read state it has excellent sound quality, it's Creative Labs after all :P The battery life isn't great, "Up to 11 hours" on one AAA, though my included battery only lasted four hours.. either it was a dud or the life gradually drained away while I wasn't using the player.

The Sony Network Walkmen have "Up to 70 hours" on a single AAA battery :shock: - But Sony are notorious for exxagerating figures, you probably will never get close to 70. It should be pretty high, though.

EDIT: Just realized something wierd. I have one Energizer battery than came with the MuVo, and two generics that were in my TV remote. The mp3 player won't turn on with the Energizer and one of the generics, the other generic works and says it has a full charge. But put the two remaining "Dead' batteries in my tv remote, and it works. Meh, batteries, they are unpredictable.

The problem with the song ones is they arnt really mp3 players. It tries to get you to convert to their own protected wma format.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

My brother and a friend of mine both bought Creative Zen Micros and both only lasted about a month. My brother's one just wouldn't copy some albums or the names would get mixed up, then after a while the songs themselves started getting all jumpy. My friend's one, after about 3 weeks wouldnt work either. It would turn on and freeze straight away.

I have an Ipod and have never had any problems with it. Most of my friends also have Ipods and the only problem any of my friends have had is that one lost his headphones :D .

You can get a 2GB Ipod Nano for ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã140 or a 4GB one for only ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã180.

Creative Labs looks the way to go, my 64mb is made by them and has done me well through the years (battery lifes a bit crap though)

Recharable batteries...could be a good idea, depending on how much chargers cost :P

Also, fakeeoghan, why are you recommending the ipod to me, i said i wanted something cheap and it costs at least ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã140

Also Matt, when you talk about the protected format, does that mean I have to protect them, or i have to get them off iTunes or something? Cos i download a lot of legal music...

logo.jpg

The sony ones force you to convert to protected wma format. You wont be able to use itunes downloaded tracks on it.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12