Maleficus1055 Presents: 45 Albums That Don't Suck!

Maleficus1055

On the contrary, they're quite good!

To start off, I'd like to say that yes, this may seem very quick after the previous list, but hey, to keep true the original topic of posting a new list every monday, i'm doing it right. Anyways, my descriptions aren't always long, they say what I feel needs to be said. The rest can be said by listening to the music! I also have listened to a lot of material from other people's lists so there will be some things other people have had on here. The first 10 are my top 10 albums, the last 35 are just in alphabetical order. Anyway, enjoy my favorite albums!

1. Demons & Wizards Demons & Wizards

b4uxk6.jpg

This is in my opinion the best power metal album I have ever heard. That is just about all I have to say. For those who do not know, this band consists of Blind Guardians vocalist and Iced Earths guitarist. The track Fiddler on the Green is pretty much my favorite ballad of all time next to one on this next album.

2. Dream Theater Images and Words

dreamtheaterimagesandwom.jpg

This album is simply amazing. Even Dream Theater haters usually acknowledge that Images and Words is a great (or at least good) album. This is by far my favorite progressive metal album. It also contains the song Another Day, my favorite ballad :) .

3. Blind Guardian Nightfall In Middle-Earth

bindguardianportada.jpg

Nightfall In Middle-Earth is a concept album that is I believe based on Tolkiens The Silmarillion. Either way, its an amazing power metal album that is fun and exciting the whole way though. My favorite track here would definitely be The Curse Of Fëanor, shame they cant play it live.

4. King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King

b00065mdrw01ss500sclzzz.jpg

Aah, this is one great progressive rock album. Despite being somewhat slow at times, with not much happening, (tracks like Moonchild) it still manages to never become boring to me. This is one album all fans of music of any type should have a listen to. Favorite track: Epitaph

5. Mayhem A Grand Declaration of War

mayhemgrand.jpg

And so we come to the first black metal album of the list. Unlike most Mayhem albums, this album has good sound quality and a nice balance of everything in it, so no instrument (DRUMS!) sticks out above the rest. That, combined with some great songs, puts this as my favorite Mayhem album. Favorite track: In the Lies Upon Where You Lay.

6. Queensrÿche Operation: Mindcrime

1658243f.jpg

This is truly a great concept album. It follows the story of a man becoming disillusioned with American society, and joining in a conspiratorial plot to assassinate its corrupt leaders (taken from Wikipedia). It is really fun to listen to and a very catchy album all around. Favorite track: Revolution Calling.

7. Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon

pinkfloydthedarksideof2.jpg

Hey, I try not to be cliché, but this is one great piece of work right here. A fantastic album here, which I feel really shouldnt be listened to except as a full album. It just doesnt seem right. Most people have heard this album so I wont give much of a description. Favorite track: The whole album.

8. Opeth Watershed (Special Edition)

opethwatershedspecial.jpg

This Opeth album is in my opinion their best because it isnt focused too heavily on either the mellower side of them or the harder, death metal side. It is the perfect mix. I recommend the Special edition version because it includes the songs Bridge of Sighs and Den Ständiga Resan, which should be listened to. Favorite song: The Lotus Eater.

9. Symphony X Paradise Lost

symphonyxparadiselost.jpg

Symphony X! I love this bands singer, Russell Allen. No other man could fit this band, his voice just perfectly fits the mythological themes in their songs. This is a concept album based on Miltons epic poem of the same name. Favorite track: Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)

10. Adagio Dominate

adagio.jpg

For those of you who dont know Adagio (and from what Ive gathered, not too many do), there are 2 sides to them. Their first 2 albums, Sanctus Ignis and Underworld were Progressive Metal albums. Their second 2, Dominate and Archangels in Black, are more Power Metal like (but still have progressive traces in them). I must say, I like their latter 2 albums much more, and Dominate is the standout for me. This band goes through vocalists like theyre going out of style, and on Dominate the vocalist is Gus Monsanto, and his voice fits this album perfectly. Oh, and for the guitar lovers, Stephan Fortè is one amazing guitarist. Favorite track: Rlyeh the Dead.

The rest of this list is in no particular order, just alphabetical by band. Enjoy.

11. American Head Charge The Feeding

61a9k02nwylss500.jpg

American Head Charge is a great band for when you just want to rock out. Shame theyre on an indefinite hiatus.

12. Anaal Nathrakh Eschaton

b4bwc8.jpg

Anaal Nathrakh is not a band that many can listen to. They will give the average music listener a large headache and leave them walking away thinking What the [bleep] was that?! However, if you feel you can handle it, then go ahead and give it a spin. This album wins over there others, I like how it is more melodic and not just pure thrashing away (nothing wrong with that though). Favorite track: The Destroying Angel.

13. Anthrax Among the Living

7913302ae478678964f944a.jpg

I dont need to go too much into detail here, this is a thrash album that most people have heard before. It still deserves its place on this list because of how great it is.

14. Arkha Sva Gloria Satanae

arkhasva.jpg

I first heard this after listening to it from someone elses list (sorry, I cant remember who). Ever since then, it has been one of my favorite black metal albums. It doesnt sound like much at first, generic black metal with bad quality, then the vocalist starts wailing with his insane falsetto abilities. :twss: .

15. At Vance Dragonchaser

3roatvancedragonchaser.jpg

In all honesty, At Vance is generic power metal. Nothing special at all. That is, until you hear some of their covers. Now if I picked a band for this list for some covers, you bet your [wagon] theyre some good covers. Their songs are pretty good, but they cover The Winner Takes it All (ABBA) on this, and it just won me over.

16. Ayreon 010011001

01011001.png

Ayreon. A progressive metal project that features some of the best metal singers around these day. I havent heard too much of Ayreon, but of what I have heard, 010011001 is my favorite, its just so much fun to listen to. Favorite track: Age of Shadows.

17. Blind Guardian Imaginations From the Other Side

iftoscover1.jpg

Sorry for a duplicate (there are only 2 more) but this album had to go on. I had a tough choice deciding which was better, this or Nightfall. In the end, Nightfall one. IFTOS is still a great Guardian album and features some of Guardians best songs on it. Favorite track: Bright Eyes

18. Burzum - Dauði Baldrs

2947k.jpg

I have to say, Ive never really been able to get into Burzums black metal albums much. However, his ambient albums are great! This one stands out to me better than Hliðskjálf, its just more pleasant to listen to. No favorite track.

19. Carcass Heartwork

carcassheartwork.jpg

Carcasss Heartwork is the only album I have heard of them. Given this, it is one great Death metal album. Sorry if Im wrong on the exact genre. The vocalist isnt impossible to understand and the whole album is a fun ride. Favorite track: Heartwork.

20. Circus Maximus The 1st Chapter

14061f.jpg

Dare I say it, I enjoy Circus Maximus much more than Dream Theater. Well, much more than new Dream Theater. That being said, this is the only Circus Maximus album worth listening. Their second release, Isolate, is rather boring and has too much keyboard work in it. The 1st Chapter is a great piece of Progressive Metal work. It has a lot of piano work (which I happen to enjoy very much) and a fantastic vocalist. If I kept going on numbers, this would be #11. Favorite Track: Glory of the Empire

21. Death Symbolic

symbolicsmall.jpg

I dont have to write a description, do I? Seriously. A great death metal album.

22. Dimmu Borgir In Sorte Diaboli

[Album Art not suitable for forums.]

This is an awesome symphonic black metal album. It features Hellhammer on drums too! Anyway, its great fun to listen to, full of energy and great sound quality. Favorite track: The Chosen Legacy.

23. Dream Theater Awake

dreamtheaterawakea.jpg

Sorry, another duplicate. But anyways, Im a huge fan of Dream Theater and this is my second favorite of their albums. Its very dark throughout most of the album and features a great little trilogy of songs tracks 4-6 (A Mind Beside Itself). Not as good as I&W by any means but still definitely worth a listen. Favorite track: Scarred.

24. Emperor Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk

241m.jpg

Now, many Emperor fans will disagree with me here, and say that In the Nightside Eclipse is their best album. Sorry, I just like Anthems a lot better. Its a thrill ride of an album, from the slowly building intro track until it bursts into glory with the opener, Ye Entrancemparium. It doesnt suffer from the notorious bad quality of most black metal albums too. Favorite track: Ye Entrancemparium.

25. Ensiferum Iron

ensiferumiron13892.jpg

Yay, Viking metal! Ensiferum is a band that sure does do it right, and Iron is by far their best work. Favorite track: Slayer of Light

26. Equilibrium Sagas

6415.jpg

This is another duplicate from someone elses list, and theres a reason for it. This beat out Finntrolls Ur Jordens Djup as my favorite folk metal album, and it deserves that title. Its just great fun to listen to. And for those who like the style of music but not the vocals, the closer is a 16-minute instrumental. Favorite track: Snuffel.

27. Helloween Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1

helloween2b2bkeeper2bof.jpg

It was a hard decision between either this or Starlight. In the end, I decided that Keeper won because its just so much more fun to listen to. And thats what power metal is, fun music. Keeper part 1 is nice little album with some great songs. This album is just basically about Kiske wailing away. On that note, I prefer Helloweens earlier albums, but I also like Andi Deris (current singer) much better than Michael Kiske. Favorite track: Halloween.

28. Iced Earth Horror Show

icedearthhs.jpg

Yay, some Iced Earth! I cant get enough of their singer, his voice is just awesome. Horror Show is about, well, Horror movies. Songs like Frankenstein, Dracula, and Wolf. Its one awesome power metal album (yes, thats what I classify IE as). Favorite song: Dracula.

29. Into Eternity Buried in Oblivion

intoeternityburied.jpg

I know many people that dont like Into Eternity, and when I mention them they wont give them a chance. Buried in Oblivion is a great album and proves their worth. The singer has an uncanny ability to hold out growls for very long periods of time. For an example, listen to Spiraling Into Depression. Favorite track: Spiraling Into Depression.

30. Iron Maiden The Number of the Beast

thenumberofthebeast2.jpg

I dont think I need to write anything here. Favorite track: Hallowed Be Thy Name.

31. John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess An Evening With John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess

jucd10.jpg

This is a strange choice indeed, but I couldnt leave it out. This album is Petrucci and Rudess jamming out in a live instrumental concert, and its very good. Avid Dream Theater fans will notice many of these songs have hints of Dream Theater tracks in them. For example, the song Truth is like a redone The Spirit Carries On. Either way, its a nice live album, and neither of them goes too crazy as they are notorious for. Favorite track: Furia Taurina.

32. Liquid Tension Experiment Liquid Tension Experiment

lte1.jpg

Liquid Tension Experiment is a group with the Dream Theaters members (-Myung and LaBrie) and with Tony Levin on bass. This album is just them having fun in the studio basically, and its amazing. From the opener on this album is a giant eargasm. Favorite track: Paradigm Shift.

33. Mastodon Call of the Mastodon

k36196.jpg

Call of the Mastodon was tough to pick over Leviathan, but still, I felt it was better. I really have no idea what genre this is, but its good. Favorite track: Shadows That Move.

34. Mercyful Fate Dont Break the Oath

mercyful2bfatedon2527t2f.jpg

Many people are turned off by Mercyful Fate due to the Kings very high pitched singing and the clear black metal lyrics. Still, that is no reason not to give Mercyful Fate a listen, its a great album, and their best. And while youre at it, check out King Diamonds Abigail. Favorite track: Come to the Sabbath

35. Metallica Ride the Lightning

metallicaridethelightni.jpg

This is definitely Metallicas finest work. I cant say this for any other album of theirs but I like every song on here. Its a nice reminder of Metallica at their prime.

36. Nailbomb Point Blank

pointblank.gif

Nailbomb is a side project of Sepultura, and is better than Sepultura in my opinion. Its a great album that just chug-chug-chugs along, like a mini-Pantera. Fun stuff. Favorite track: Dont really have one.

37. Napalm Death Scum

albumscum.jpg

Scum is a very hard album to get into. Its sound quality is almost as bad as that of some Mayhem albums. Once you can get past this, it is very enjoyable. It also has a 1 second song XD , entitled You Suffer. Favorite song: Dont have one.

38. Opeth Damnation

169744.jpg

And now we come to the last duplicate of the list. Opeths Damnation was originally combined with Deliverance, but ended up being released as a separate album. Damnation is an album consisting entirely of ballads, and shows Opeths softer, more mellow side, which allows a lot more people to easily listen to them. Damnation also has some very nice songs in it. Favorite track: In My Time of Need. (Ohoho, and you thought I would say Windowpane!)

39. Pantera Vulgar Display of Power

panteravulgardisplayofp.jpg

Right off the first the you notice about this album is the cover of a dude getting punched in the face. This is the first sign of one badass album. Pantera is known for being a train (not wreck) of a band. When listening to them you can only think chugga-chugga-chugga, its what they sound like. VDOP is one amazing album. RIP Dimebag. Favorite track: [bleep]ing Hostile.

40. Prmordial To the Nameless Dead

tothenamelessdead.jpg

This is I believe the third list this album has been mentioned on, and rightly so. These Celtic musicians really have something going. I dont really need to describe it if youve been reading the other lists. Favorite track: Heathen Tribes.

41. Rush Moving Pictures

rushmoving.jpg

Just go listen to it. Favorite track: YYZ.

42. Slayer Reign in Blood

84494936.jpg

There isnt much to say here, besides this is the best thrash album ever. It keeps going the whole album and there isnt a bad song on it. Favorite song: Angel of Death.

43. Spheric Universe Experience Anima

sphericuniverseexperien.jpg

SUE is a strange choice for me, but I had to do it. They are a French(?) progressive metal band. This is the only bit I have heard of them, but its pretty good. It manages to not be boring, and it uses tons of piano>keyboards (which I really like, I cant stand tons of keyboard). Favorite track: Neptunes Revenge.

44. Terrorizer World Downfall

world2bdownfall2bfront.jpg

What turns a lot of people away from grindcore is the tendency for the vocals to be garbage. Pig squeals and all the jazz. Terrorizer manages to not do this, and I thank them for it. This is an album any fan of the genre should own. Favorite Track: Dead Shall Rise.

45. Venom Black Metal

blackmetalvenomw.jpg

Black Metal is well, the founding album of Black Metal! I dont really have too much to say about it other than that. Good stuff here. Favorite Track: Leave Me in Hell.

Tbh I havent really listened to Iron.

I always thought self titled was their best.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Haven't heard of most of these bands...Iron Maiden though is good, I do love Hallowed be thy Name. I think Powerslave is on par with number of the beast though. Hell, most of their albums were damn good.

You didn't put your favorite track from Metallica.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Tbh I havent really listened to Iron.

I always thought self titled was their best.

I haven't actually lisened to their self-titled yet.

Haven't heard of most of these bands...Iron Maiden though is good, I do love Hallowed be thy Name. I think Powerslave is on par with number of the beast though. Hell, most of their albums were damn good.

You didn't put your favorite track from Metallica.

oh, woops :oops: . I don't care to go back and edit, it's Fade to Black.

Awesome, I have to agree with a lot of your choices here. I actually know a lot of the bands on someones list for once. Will have to check out some of those power metal albums that I don't have on the list. :thumbup:

And yeah, To the Nameless Dead is so awesome. Definitely is a reason why it's on so many lists. :D

Also I forgot how much I loved the song Fiddler on the Green.

The band themselves literally called this album "a piece of [cabbage]". Personally I don't see how you could put this as their best work. They have made much better albums.

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

The band themselves literally called this album "a piece of [cabbage]". Personally I don't see how you could put this as their best work. They have made much better albums.

Because it is my favorite. i don't give a [cabbage] what the band thinks of it, it matters what I think of it.

"Hanneman has said that the album is his personal favorite, reasoning it is "so short and quick and to the point."

Wut?

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

I really need to start getting into more music. I haven't heard of most of these bands that everyone's talking about.

Because they are metal.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

I really need to start getting into more music. I haven't heard of most of these bands that everyone's talking about.

Because they are metal.

oic. So why does everyone here like metal so much?

Perhaps the question is, why don't you like metal so much?

I don't like it because from the songs I've heard, it's all just a bunch of guys with long hair screaming into a mic along with heavily distorted guitars.

You have heard like 3 or 4 songs I'm guessing?

Btw, listen to some folk metal.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

I don't like it because from the songs I've heard, it's all just a bunch of guys with long hair screaming into a mic along with heavily distorted guitars.

You mean electric banjos?

EDIT: Just listened to some folk metal. It was a band called Skyclad. Its, uh, interesting, to say the least.

mbqyk3.gif

:lol:

I can agree with you to a point that a lot of metal is mostly people screaming into a mic, but that's the really heavy stuff. I don't like that stuff (other than Lamb of God), I like hair metal and that kind of stuff.

What the hell are you talking about?

"Numerous folk metal acts include a dedicated violinist in their line up."

"The tin whistle and flute can be found in such Celtic metal bands"

"Some bands are also known to highlight more exotic instruments from their ethnic background or country"

Just a few excerpts from Wikipedia.

And plus most doesn't talk anything about killing (In depth at least)

So that's another plus for you.

Also normally the vocalists dont really growl as much but a scratchy singing (I dont know how to describe it)

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Here's a good example.

[yt]1Cp3JOMt1xU[/yt]

Awww why didnt you post Blut Im Auge, super cheesy, but super epic song.

Edit: here you go

[yt]Yom8nNqmxvQ[/yt]

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

[hide=]

What the hell are you talking about?

"Numerous folk metal acts include a dedicated violinist in their line up."

"The tin whistle and flute can be found in such Celtic metal bands"

"Some bands are also known to highlight more exotic instruments from their ethnic background or country"

Just a few excerpts from Wikipedia.

And plus most doesn't talk anything about killing (In depth at least)

So that's another plus for you.

Also normally the vocalists dont really growl as much but a scratchy singing (I dont know how to describe it)

[/hide]

That doesn't mean they don't use electric banjos -.-

mbqyk3.gif

Never heard of Equillibrium, and thanks to the two examples above I never want to hear them again...

I dont understand how you like Lamb Of God.

But I do understand why you like their most mainstream friendly album (In my opinion).

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Never heard of Equillibrium, and thanks to the two examples above I never want to hear them again...

I dont understand how you like Lamb Of God.

But I do understand why you like their most mainstream friendly album (In my opinion).

I own both Wrath and Sacrament, I just did not find Wrath as great. No songs really stood out on Wrath. Walk with me in Hell was a great song. Wrath is all right, just not as good as Sacrament.