how to go about doing this? (a HP tshirt idea)

ice_ring

well i have this idea for a tshirt that is Harry Potter related. I figure it would sell good at a store like Hot Topic cuz its kind of a spoof on another shirt. Im not gonna be specific cuz someone may steal my idea *shifty eyes*

anyway i wanna know how i could gain the rights to Harry Potter for this tshirt, or maybe just sell the idea to a Harry Potter Tshirt company... I have no idea what I'm doing :lol:

Once you buy the shirt, it's your property, you can do whatever you want, just not sell it or market it in anyway.

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâï(ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâú_o)/ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâï

doomdeathyz5.gif

Lol - my bad.

I dunno, If you ask them, they'll steal your idea, if you share, they'll give you like .5% of profit.

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâï(ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâú_o)/ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâï

doomdeathyz5.gif

Parodies are protected by law ;)

https://www.kent.ac.uk/law/undergraduat ... errits.doc

Dunno about america though.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

If you couldn't bothered with copyright laws, just go to http://www.cafepress.com - They'll print out your t-shirts and what not for a small price.

Please don't do this though as it's not a good idea and you're likely to get busted.

Cafepress regularly check for copywrited designs. I got busted once for making a rammestein tshirt a few years back :(

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

well i have this idea for a tshirt that is Harry Potter related. I figure it would sell good at a store like Hot Topic cuz its kind of a spoof on another shirt. Im not gonna be specific cuz someone may steal my idea *shifty eyes*

anyway i wanna know how i could gain the rights to Harry Potter for this tshirt, or maybe just sell the idea to a Harry Potter Tshirt company... I have no idea what I'm doing :lol:

If it is a parody of H.P. and not an actual H.P. shirt then it is protected by law. If it is a really really really (I mean really) funny shirt you might be able to sell a shirt design to an online t-shirt store (but they would only accept designs, I doubt they would be interested in "ideas"). Your other ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅoptionÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

im pretty sure harry potter and anything in the harry potter series are copywright protected..you cant use them for you're own gain w/o permission and royalties being paid.

im pretty sure harry potter and anything in the harry potter series are copywright protected..you cant use them for you're own gain w/o permission and royalties being paid.

any idea how much these royalties might run? or how i may go about trying to pay them?

any idea how much these royalties might run? or how i may go about trying to pay them?

Wow you still want to make these shirts well your going to need 10's of millions of dollars for a licence to print these shirts. Seriously it's not going to happen, otherwise every H.P. fan would have had their shirt idea made by now. Where do you see places that sell these fan shirts? Nowhere, because it is too damn expensive and the person that owns the copyrights probably wouldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t want to license their trademark anyway.

If you couldn't bothered with copyright laws, just go to http://www.cafepress.com - They'll print out your t-shirts and what not for a small price.

Please don't do this though as it's not a good idea and you're likely to get busted.

Cafepress regularly check for copywrited designs. I got busted once for making a rammestein tshirt a few years back :(

Hehe, that made me laugh ;) I can just imagine Merc arguing "Rammstein are a band? I had no idea.."

Wow you still want to make these shirts well your going to need 10's of millions of dollars for a licence to print these shirts. Seriously it's not going to happen, otherwise every H.P. fan would have had their shirt idea made by now. Where do you see places that sell these fan shirts? Nowhere, because it is too damn expensive and the person that owns the copyrights probably wouldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t want to license their trademark anyway.

whatever, screw the idea... :roll: :(

Don't let noobs ruin your idea. Everything starts with ambition.

guess so, and i dont think the rights to make a shirt featuring one character would cost THAT much, maybe only a % of the profit?

Well, it does cost a lot. But it's not that you can make those t-shirts by yourself 1,2,3. Try to contact companies and so, get to know the 'scene'. Everybody has to start at the bottom. Try to be original and so, then people might get back at you and so. I don't really know how this all works, but if you're serious I bet you can find a lot on the internet.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

According To Forbes http://www.forbes.com/lists/2004/10/20/cz_vq_lr_1020fictionalintro.html Harry Potter made about $2.8 Billion Dollars last year. So could you see why I said in the ten's of millions for a t-shirt license. I would doubt they would do a royalty based licensing because there is too much risk involved in giving rights to an unknown individual. You could create inferior products, promote H.P. in a bad light and you could create legal problems (because it is a spoof of another shirt the companies shirt you spoofed will probably attempt to sue you). They wouldn't want to give rights to some amateur because of the popularity of H.P. and the big risk you have of failure. They would much rather give the rights to a company that makes shirts for 30 other brand names as they would have a good track record and know whatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s best for the brand.

Look, I'm not saying you can't have dreams but you have to be realistic about them. It is almost impossible for an individual to buy into a popular trademark because it requires huge amounts of capital (usually reserved for big companies). The T-shirt market is already very competitive and you don't make very much money from it, take a look at some stores that sell shirts online and you can get a gist of the prices and how much money they are making.

If you want some advice on what to do I would suggest store franchising. Have a look at what is starting to become popular and buy into a pre-existing franchise. For example a few years ago when healthy take-away food was new it would have been a great time to start up a subway's store. Not only you stand to make millions, you also have little trouble with financing a franchise because banks can see the success of other franchises that are currently operating. All you need to do is find a good store location and place your franchise on it.

Don't let noobs ruin your idea. Everything starts with ambition.

If I made a thread and said I want to be the president of the United States and asked how I would go about becoming the president I would have been laughed off the forums. Yet it requires the same amount of ambition to become the president as it would to start from scratch and end up owning an official license to print H.P. shirts. At least I'm giving him facts about how hard it is to do such a thing instead of just flaming and calling him a n00b.

We donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t live in a world where we can achieve anything we imagine. We are restricted to what we can do due to the nature of a capitalistic society. Everything revolves around money and if you donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t have it then you have no power to achieve your dreams.

If you've got the talent, why shouldn't you get discovered? There arn't that much new self-made-men anymore, but why shouldn't he be one. Ambition that's what it all starts with, you can start small and get big. It's just how you play it. From the start thinking you won't get your goal is a standard lose.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

didnt mean to start a big argument lol thanks for giving me an idea of what it takes to get something on the market.

on to my idea, you know how th US army has these bland grey tshirts with the word ARMY in big letters, well i thought maybe a tshirt that looked something like that except had Dumbledore's Army. I've had a few more ideas such as a shirt that had a pic of sirius black on it and said wanted, i support s.p.e.w. , and some others.

Ahh well unlucky the idea was already out there, but Enterprise is a valuable resource, so use your imagination. :P

Unfortunately I think it would cost alot to make this shirt, and if you planned on selling it in a reputatable site, they wouldnt stand for a bit of illegality. That being said, if you just wanted it for your own use, you could go to a random shop that does prints, and they probably wouldn't care.

manipofsarahs1gg5.png

Why not try finding a merchant that already sells Harry Potter gear? Is there a store on the main site? You could try selling the idea to them. It'd be the same thing as if they hired you originally to make the design.

*For future ideas I mean, since your idea was already done.