Mods please close and delete- this is out of hand

screally1

stuff

going by your definition, most meleers that aren't low levels can't support themselves by making their equipment on F2P or even P2P. there aren't nearly as many people that can smith addy or rune as there are those that can, for example, make chaoses or steel arrows.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stuff

going by your definition, most meleers that aren't low levels can't support themselves by making their equipment on F2P or even P2P. there aren't nearly as many people that can smith addy or rune as there are those that can, for example, make chaoses or steel arrows.

Good point. I can make nats, and addy arrows. But I cant make much more than mith mace.

Barrow Trips: 4

Barrow items: Arhim's skirt

Hi Troll and Superpiff0,

I think you both missed my point. I know smithing is a pain to level, and free smithers already exist, so most melee fighters don't bother.

There are two points actually:

1) Even if smithing is a pain, the ad sponsored melee fighter has a choice in the matter. He is able to level smithing in order to provide for his needs. It may be difficult, and he may choose not to bother, but the point is: he has a choice to be self-sufficient in his "combat triangle" profession.

Both the mage and ranger on ad sponsored do not have this choice.

2) Two words: World Balance. Now some more words to explain what I mean.

RSC was a beautifully crafted work of self-reliance. You could pool your resources with other players and sell coal, thus pushing other select smiths (bluerose13x :D ) forward. But, you could also mine your own coal and keep it, learn smithing, and eventually hope to provide for your own needs (xcavalierx) . I found this self-reliance in RSC very appealing when I first joined. I knew that whatever my character's needs were, I would eventually be able to harness the natural resources to provide for those needs.

The world itself was also balanced, in the sense that whatever our characters had in their possession (food, armor, weapons) came from the very rocks, animals, and plants that populated our virtual RSC world. It all made a beautiful sort of sense, virtually speaking.

In the new ad sponsored runescape (RS3D), much of this balanced wonder has been shattered. Please note that I'm referring to life on ad sponsored RS3D specifically, as it compared to ad sponsored life on RSC.

You can't go ten paces without stepping on something that graphically the world means to have there, but then responds with: "This is a member's feature only", "You need to be a member to enter that door, go down that hole, or squeeze through that crack." I'm ok with the banner ads, I can compartamentalize that. But I find these "member's messages" within the very game that ad sponsors have paid for me to play and enjoy, to be very immersion breaking, and they put me off my game. It makes no sense that my virtual avatar would receive these member's messages in the middle of his adventures. Try to think of it as a game, not a demo, not a trial, for a second, please. Because, that's how it used to be in RSC.

Also, this ad sponsored RS3D world does not provide for the needs of 2 of the 3 classes in the the combat triangle, if they chose to be self-reliant. Mages cannot properly runecraft what they need, and rangers cannot fletch, arrowsmith, or green-dragonhide craft for their needs. Yet these items somehow mysteriously appear in unlimited numbers, in npc stores. There are no maple trees, yet maple bows abound. There are plenty of yew trees to cut, and not a single yew bow to be made. None of it makes any sense, the way it did in RSC.

I think that there is lots of room to fix the ad sponsored RS3D experience, so it returns to that beautiful RSC symmetry, without significantly impacting on the quite obvious lure of getting upgraded to members. It would take some creativity and balancing on Jagex's part, but I for one, think they are up to the task.

You should at least come up with SOME support, if you want to be taken seriously.

I look at this, and laugh.

Id love to write up 5 paragraphs about why f2p does not deserve anything of the sort, but I've already done it, in every other thread like this.

Why "another" arena, when f2p doesnt even have one arena. You saying f2p should get castle wars (which they wont), then they should get a second "arena" (which they wont)?

What is this second arena for? Standing around in, begging in, dying in, and showing off bad grammar in?

Hehe, just 5 paragraphs? I could write a best selling novel on why f2p should not get updates such as this. I'm sorry, but I true-even-to-death believe that if you can't pay for it, Jagex can't provide it. This isn't a charity they run, people...it is a business.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

I'm f2p and people like you piss me off when you think that you deserve everything that p2p gets, we're not paying, so we don't deserve those features.

123 Combat / 1900 Skill Total / 99 HP / 7x 99 Stats

Um i am f2p, and there is one bad assumption here that f2p doesn't generate revenue.. ever noticed the ads on top? The more the people playing the game, the more the money they get, and i daresay that the advertisement revenue is a lot, most people who play the game are little kids, with no clue about ad-blockers.. jagex generates cash out of f2pers the same way as google makes cash from free search engines, free email(And google is soooooo bustling with cash!!)

SO yeah, f2p should get more stuff. Though ofcourse, p2p would always have more.

And if you were a jagex mod saying f2pers shouldn't get updates, trying to get 12 year olds to be p2p.. shame on your perverse marketing

Yeah, I'm ad-sponsored, I have been since Nov. 2001. I was around during bluerose13x and xcavalierx. There were only 3 servers, each could hold about 1250 players. The fally east bank didn't exist yet, the wild was new, the dragon quest was new; heck, RS itself was just about 11 months old, at the time. Capes were just coming out, and there were enormous lines at the dyer, because with RSC, only one player at a time could talk to the npc. Rune 2H costed millions of gp, only bluerose13x could make them. Party hats were junk that newbies put up in trades, in the hope of getting some useful stuff.

I remember when members came out, about 6 months after that. Jagex planned to reward its members with extra updates and such, but it also promised to keep the old game intact ... as a game ... not a demo or trial.

I honestly don't know how much "stuff" ad sponsored should get, relative to members; but, if Jagex wishes to give members more skills, more map, more items, more monsters, more quests, more bank, more combat options (dueling arenas, castlewars, etc.), more mini-games, etc., etc. ... I for one am totally 100% in support of Jagex.

I have asked only for the minimum amount of updates to ad sponsored, in order for it to return to the state of self-reliance that ad sponsored RSC enjoyed. Basically, some updates are needed to compensate for the fact that a combat triangle now exists, which means that two extra classes now exist that need the option to get their own stuff.

Please remember that while maging and ranging existed in RSC, they were support skills, and not outright classes. The two most successful "combat professions" in ad sponsored RSC were the Pure (3 hitter, with high str, low combat level), and Prayer Beast (used prayer & pots to increase damage, only dropped monk junkies if killed). Neither had to do with range or mage at all. It was a whole different world back then.

So please, I hope that some updates will come along, just enough to allow ad sponsored to fully work with this new combat triangle, in the same way that RSC worked with mellee.

At the end of the day us members pay to get bonus's and make money faster and easier why the hell should F2P, if you want castle wars get a job its only ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã3 a month..

You should at least come up with SOME support, if you want to be taken seriously.

Id love to write up 5 paragraphs about why f2p does not deserve anything of the sort, but I've already done it, in every other thread like this.

Why "another" arena, when f2p doesnt even have one arena. You saying f2p should get castle wars (which they wont), then they should get a second "arena" (which they wont)?

What is this second arena for? Standing around in, begging in, dying in, and showing off bad grammar in?

Hehe, just 5 paragraphs? I could write a best selling novel on why f2p should not get updates such as this. I'm sorry, but I true-even-to-death believe that if you can't pay for it, Jagex can't provide it. This isn't a charity they run, people...it is a business.

I guess it would be a fiction novel. Because you seem to forget, the ads support the game, too.

Tetsuya.png

Um i am f2p, and there is one bad assumption here that f2p doesn't generate revenue.. ever noticed the ads on top? The more the people playing the game, the more the money they get, and i daresay that the advertisement revenue is a lot, most people who play the game are little kids, with no clue about ad-blockers.. jagex generates cash out of f2pers the same way as google makes cash from free search engines, free email(And google is soooooo bustling with cash!!)

I'd say 2%...3% perhaps...click those adverts. Have you ever been part of a referal program? Ever wondered how much per click companies receive? It's the fragment of a penny/cence/whatever. Wow, thanks for keeping those servers running, it's a wonder why p2p was introduced in the first place :|

Tetsuya: You are absolutely 100% right. All these misinformed members forget that if Jagex went loco tomorrow, and pulled all the ads and closed all the ad sponsored servers, then those same members would probably have to pay $10 a month, instead of $5. That's still less than some online games these days, but hey, aren't you happy that is more money in your pocket instead of Jagex's?

Jagex does more weekly development for this game than every other MMORPG developer I have seen. None update as fast, or as regularly as Jagex does for Runescape. And that costs money. Only a Java game you say? Well Jagex can't tell their arstists, coders, scripters, and customer support staff to take less pay, just because it's Java. Jagex has to pay them, and so you pay Jagex.

But Jagex is brilliant. They incorporate ad banners into an ad sponsored version of the game. Millions of people (often 100K at a time) flock to these ad sponsored servers. That generates incredible traffic, which generates banner revenue for Jagex. Jagex then turns around and gives you members this game for half price!

But for some mysterious reason, when these same ad sponsored players, that are indirectly reducing YOUR cost to play, ask for some more functionality in their version (still less than members get), you get all nasty and hostile.

Seriously members. If you're going to shoot down the very people who reduce _your_ costs to play this game .... could you at least come out with something a little more original than: "We pay, you don't. So we deserve stuff, you deserve ziltch."

That is repetitive, unimaginative, stale, and most importantly: false! In fact, we non-members pay for you! We generate part of the revenue by watching the ads, while you members benefit by getting all of the updates.

How would you like it, if you watched network television, and like now, 33% of the airtime was commercials, and the remaining 67% was the program. But, unlike now, you only got to watch the same programs, again and again, from 5 and 10 years ago. No change for you. Instead, the network ran a pay-for-view service, with all of the newest programs, and used the money that you generated by watching the commercials, in order to reduce the price for its pay-for-view subscribers. Would you find that fair?

And for those saying that banners generate negligible revenue, please do your homework on this.

Banners generate in two ways:

1) Just by appearing, they generate revenue based on the estimated size of the audience. Have you ever wondered why Jagex is so good about always indicating how many players there are on the site, and on each server?

2) If a player clicks, they usually generate more revenue. Granted most players don't click on them. But you would be surprised how many banners do get clicked, even if only by accident.

Plus:

The revenue is increased for high volume sites. In a situation analagous to the superbowl (which charges millions of dollars for a 30 second ad spot), high volume sites get a premium on what they can charge to display banners on their site. High volume sites are desirable to sponsors, and they pay a premium based on that. All you coal sellers must understand this basic concept ... 100 coal vs. 10K coal, anyone?

Jagex is not the highest volume site on the web, but it is still up there. Plus its users can be in a suggestive state of mind, repetitively clicking away, for hours at a time, as the ads come up.

Furthermore, Jagex tracks IPs, and offers a propriatary ad matching service, that matches the ads you see, with the geographical region indicated by your IP. Jagex gets to charge even more, for this top rate service that they provide to their sponsors.

Jagex hasn't invested in all of this for their health, nor for a measly return. It's big dollars. Good for them, really. But let's be upfront about this, when discussing how ad sponsored players contribute, yes contribute, to the economic health of Jagex and its Runescape product.

Make no mistake about it, if it wasn't big dollars for Jagex, they would discontinue the ad sponsored service. Why do you think they stopped classic for non-members? Do you really believe that line about stopping autoers?? Heck, there are as many member autoers as non-member ones. The fact is that RSC's numbers dropped to the point where it wasn't efficient to run banners on it anymore (that only works for HIGH volume, afterall). No banner profit = no more ad sponsored servers on classic.

I'd say 2%...3% perhaps...click those adverts. Have you ever been part of a referal program? Ever wondered how much per click companies receive? It's the fragment of a penny/cence/whatever. Wow, thanks for keeping those servers running, it's a wonder why p2p was introduced in the first place :|

Actually just displaying the ads also generates money most of the time. So there's about 50-60 free servers, about 1k up to almost 2k people in each one. That's about 50-100k people viewing the ads about the same time. It still isn't much money, but it adds up. Possibly enough to keep a lot of the free servers self sustaining.

Tetsuya.png

^ It isnt viewing the ads that gets money, its clicking them, and think of the percent of players who actually click them.

Unless you and 10,000 other free players decided to quit, I don't think you are going to get your own Castle Wars arena. Nothing personal, but I'm sure JAGEX is happy to have 1 of 10 free players become members eventually. If some people quit because they didn't get CW, I don't think they'll mind.

By the way, check your sig: it's "whom," not "whome." That darn silent "e." :)

lpinkus

10,000 f2p quitting wouldn't even phase them. They are not gaining anything off of the free players, so if anything, it would benefit Jagex to see 10,000 f2p quit the game.

:lol:

^ It isnt viewing the ads that gets money, its clicking them, and think of the percent of players who actually click them.

Wrong. Viewing banners on high volume sites generates cash. Lots of it. Period. Do your homework on this, before spouting such rubbish. Even after people have clearly informed you on this. If you don't believe, then go research it yourself before spouting nonsense.

10,000 f2p quitting wouldn't even phase them. They are not gaining anything off of the free players, so if anything, it would benefit Jagex to see 10,000 f2p quit the game.

Wow. Are you just thick, or do you not even bother to read what others write? Businesses do what benefits them; they are not charities. If it benefitted Jagex to drop ad sponsored players, then they would be dropped. Notice how RSC is now members only, since its numbers declined? RS3D would be the same if it benefitted Jagex to do so. But it does benefit Jagex to keep ad sponsored on RS3D, which is why it's still here. And if Jagex benefits from us ad sponsored players, then they should support us minimally, with at least a balanced (albeit lesser) product.

And you members should be careful what you wish for. With ad sponsored gone, you will either:

1) Get less updates.

2) Pay more sub fees.

3) Get banner ads on your servers, to help earn the revenue that we ad sponsored players currently do for you.

====

If you need an education in banner pricing, start with http://www.metacrawler.com and search for: banner ad pricing

The best information site I found so far is:

http://www.wilsonweb.com/cat/cat.cfm?pa ... _AdPricing

Basically, it costs the sponsor about $5 per 1000 ads served. Note that served means displayed, not clicked. There are click-though models too, but they are typically more expensive. The RS online population varies from 140k to 30K, with an average of 85K at any time. Of those 85K, about 55K are on ad sponsored servers.

So, we have $5 x 55 = $275.00 banner revenue per minute, for all of RS servers. Doesn't sound like a lot, does it? Keep in mind that it accrues minute by minute, 24/7.

So multiply 275 x 60 minutes/hour x 24 hours/day x 30 days/month =

11.88 million dollars! per month from banners. Not exactly small pototoes.

Jagex also has around 1 million paying subscribers x $5 per month =

5 million dollars per month from subscriptions.

Does that mean that Jagex actually earns more from the ad sponsored players?? Well, not really. You see, the above represents gross revenue, before bandwidth costs.

The 11.88 million ad-sponsored gross incurred about 55/85, or about 65% of the bandwidth costs.

The 5 million subscription gross incurred about 30/85, or about 35% of the bandwidth costs.

So the net profits are about the same for both. Still, that is really something for you all to think about.

Wrong. Viewing banners on high volume sites generates cash. Lots of it. Period. Do your homework on this, before spouting such rubbish. Even after people have clearly informed you on this. If you don't believe, then go research it yourself before spouting nonsense.

Wow. Are you just thick, or do you not even bother to read what others write? Businesses do what benefits them; they are not charities. If it benefitted Jagex to drop ad sponsored players, then they would be dropped. Notice how RSC is now members only, since its numbers declined? RS3D would be the same if it benefitted Jagex to do so. But it does benefit Jagex to keep ad sponsored on RS3D, which is why it's still here. And if Jagex benefits from us ad sponsored players, then they should support us minimally, with at least a balanced (albeit lesser) product.

And you members should be careful what you wish for. With ad sponsored gone, you will either:

1) Get less updates.

2) Pay more sub fees.

3) Get banner ads on your servers, to help earn the revenue that we ad sponsored players currently do for you.

====

If you need an education in banner pricing, start with http://www.metacrawler.com and search for: banner ad pricing

The best information site I found so far is:

http://www.wilsonweb.com/cat/cat.cfm?pa ... _AdPricing

Basically, it costs the sponsor about $5 per 1000 ads served. Note that served means displayed, not clicked. There are click-though models too, but they are typically more expensive. The RS online population varies from 140k to 30K, with an average of 85K at any time. Of those 85K, about 55K are on ad sponsored servers.

So, we have $5 x 55 = $275.00 banner revenue per minute, for all of RS servers. Doesn't sound like a lot, does it? Keep in mind that it accrues minute by minute, 24/7.

So multiply 275 x 60 minutes/hour x 24 hours/day x 30 days/month =

11.88 million dollars! per month from banners. Not exactly small pototoes.

Jagex also has around 1 million paying subscribers x $5 per month =

5 million dollars per month from subscriptions.

Does that mean that Jagex actually earns more from the ad sponsored players?? Well, not really. You see, the above represents gross revenue, before bandwidth costs.

The 11.88 million ad-sponsored gross incurred about 55/85, or about 65% of the bandwidth costs.

The 5 million subscription gross incurred about 30/85, or about 35% of the bandwidth costs.

So the net profits are about the same for both. Still, that is really something for you all to think about.

That was well said man, great research..... i did point out that google is among the richest company, and they dont ask a penny for their services, but i guess people are either too immature or too dumb to understand that a big subscriber base is worth the costs. That is why most IM messangers are free. Thats also why some TV channels and almost all radio stations are free... the best things in life are free..amen

So yeah, Jagex ought to get some stuff for f2pers, it would work to their advantage.. ofcourse, p2pers would always have more. Personally, i'd like a higher level monster in f2p with low def and good drops..maybe we'd get something this halloween

Why doesn't f2p deserve cw? is it cause we dont pay? jagex does nothing for free even though we dont pay. sme ppl cant afford, school, parents etc. and dont say $5( or $8.20 here) is cheap cause poverty is real. and also some ppl hav beta things 2 spend there money on

Here's a repost (with some minor corrections) of my proposals for limited changes that would balance ASP (Ad Sponsored Play), while still maintaining the clear superiority and desirability of members, as Jagex intended:

Ad sponsored players should have access to a balanced game, that while perhaps inferior to the member's version, is still self-reliant and sensible in its own right. These are some skill and item changes that I propose, in order to achieve this goal:

1) Open up the chaos rune temple to ad sponsored play. Allow the ad sponsored monsters (lesser demons, etc.) to drop the chaos talisman on ad sponsored worlds. Add chaos runecrafting and chaos tiaras to the ad sponsored runecrafting skill.

The logic here is that members magic is already orders of magnitude better, with ancient magics, god spells, battlestaves, uncraftable bloods, and craftable deaths. So giving ad sponsored players uncraftable deaths, but _craftable_ chaos, is a necessary thing to allow ad sponsored mages to sustain themselves, and still does nothing to undermine the basic superiority of the member's features in both runecrafting and magic.

2) Add green dragons to ad sponsored servers. Allow ad sponsored crafters to make green dragon armor.

Ad sponsored range allows us to wear green dragon armor. It is rediculous that we cannot hunt it, nor craft it, in order to support ourselves. Members servers still get snakeskin, and red, blue, and black dragons and armor, so no danger of undermining members, either.

3) Upgrade ad sponsored server range to yew bows and rune arrows. Remove maple bows.

We have yew trees. We have rune rocks. We have rune mining and smithing. We have yew woodcutting. We have range. So it makes sense that we would have yew bows and rune arrows, too. Members still get magic bows, crystal bows, darts, javelins, throwing axes, throwing knives, barbed bolts, ogre bows, cannon, and barrows ... so really no danger of undermining member's range, either.

We ad sponsored players shouldn't get maple bows, since no maple trees grow on our servers.

4) Add arrowhead smithing to the ad sponsored servers.

Arrowhead creation is an important tool to generate cash for smithers. It's an important cash sink to the game as well, since arrows generally get consumed, instead of being high-alched. If ad sponsored uses arrows, then we should be able to make the arrowheads to support ourselves, as well.

5) Add the fletching skill to ad sponsored servers. It should be limited to bows that have the corresponding trees on ad sponsored servers (ordinary, oak, willow, and yew). Also limited to arrows that have the corresponding rocks on ad sponsored servers to support them (bronze, iron, steel, mithril, addy, rune). Everything else in fletching should be member's only.

Fletching was promised years ago, back in classic runescape, before members services were even implemented. If there is one new skill needed on ad sponsored servers, it would be fletching, since rangers need this, in order to be self-sufficient. Members still get agility, thieving, farming, slayer, herblore as exclusive skills, plus more things to do in most other skills, so the attraction of members for skilling should not be significantly impacted by this proposed change.

6) Remove maple bows from the range stores. Add yew bows, instead.

It should match with the trees we have in ad sponsored play.

7) Increase bank space by 3.5 full rows, so that there is room for proper skilling and rare collections, for the serious ad sponsored player.

Additions to skills, random event rewards, holiday event rewards, and more complex gameplay have added the need for bank space over time. No need to squeeze ad sponsored play into a situation where they must choose to forgo options available to them, because of insufficient bank space.

Members still get much more bank space, so those going for the ultimate in storage needs will still find membership very attractive.

8 ) Ad sponsored player accounts with all of: 1+ years age, 1000+ skill total, no black marks should get posting privileges on RS official forums.

Jagex can benefit from the input of experienced and well behaved players, whether they pay a monthly subscription, or generate revenue through being served up ad banners.

===

Conclusion:

All of the improvements I suggested for the free servers would serve to balance it. Members would retain it's huge advantage of more exclusive skills, more to accomplish with non-exclusive skills, more map to explore, more monsters, more quests, more weapons, more items, more spells & prayers, more bank space, more combat options (castlewars, arenas, weapon special effects), more mini-games, etc.

Anyone choosing members would find it just as attractive, even if my suggestions were implemented. I was very careful not to suggest giving ad sponsored servers the best of anything, only the "throw-aways" that many members don't even use, but that would serve to balance ad sponsored play.

Making ad sponored play viable benefits everyone. It will increase customer retention and market share. It will increase the player population. That means more ad revenue for Jagex, and more people trying out the member's version down the road.

It's win-win for everyone, so why oppose it?

Cause for some people, give them a little and they'll want more. and more. and more. and more. and more. and more. and more. and more. and more.

Get my point?

Barrow Trips: 4

Barrow items: Arhim's skirt

Cause for some people, give them a little and they'll want more. and more. and more. and more. and more. and more. and more. and more. and more.

Get my point?

Hmmm... ? So your point is to give people nothing, because the ungrateful slobs will just want more? Well, that's human nature.

And there is no tragedy with ad sponsored growing regularly; I'm sure that Jagex can manage that growth, while ensuring that the member's option more than maintains its appeal.

Please try to remember that those banners do generate significant revenue, proportional after bandwidth costs to the subscription paid by members.

You have interesting concerns. I pray for our sakes that you don't go into politics. The working poor are already downtrodden enough, in spite of their obvious contribution to society, thank you very much.

I guess it would be a fiction novel. Because you seem to forget, the ads support the game, too.

And I suppose you asked Jagex to put these ads on the site for you? Please, don't use an excuse you haven't fully discovered. They FORCE you to use the ads. I'm sure that if there was a choice, a good 90% of f2p players would vote for taking them off the site.

So no, you don't make any money for Jagex out of your own free will, you are made to make that money. That's the difference between f2p's and p2p's. Members pay out of their own free will because they wish the benefits of the extended gameplay. If you want it so badly, I suggest you follow suit. :lol:

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png