Starting Merching

bean824

Hi all. I'm retired from P2P and am bored with F2P, but I don't just want to quit. So I thought of starting merching. I have 7.5m after selling members items just sitting there, nearly asking to be spent!

The only thing is that I have no idea how to start merching. I've read around and seen that you need to watch the graphs closely, but I'm not really that good at noticing the patterns and even what items to look at!

Could anyone give me some tips - or at least a link to a recent guide (I can only find really old ones)? I'm not asking for what items to merch on ATM, just what kinds of items to try with, and how to slowly work yourself into it with the money I currently have.

Thanks, I hope anyone can help :)

UrbanLegend.png

What you can do is buy for 5-10% under med and sell for 5-10% under max with some items. Not sure what those are, but my friends tell me those are really good methods

Novite_Mike.png

The corp beast, is, well, just a corp beast. He doesnt even have any friends.

[spoiler=Other Quotes]tbh idk why this makes me laugh so hard

All DFS threads turn into efficiency flame wars >.>

>OP asks "why use DFS?"

>everyone says "there is no reason"

>someone says "stop bashing people who use DFS, efficiency troll ass clown"

>thread is now a flame fest

Thanks guys. Anyone else?

I'd start out with stable items first, highly traded items like iron ore for example. Because you have 7M you can buy in bulk, sell in bulk, making a pretty good profit per flip. Definitely watch out for merchanting clans when dealing with non-stable items, because you could lose a *lot* of money if you aren't careful. After you get around 10M, start dealing in less stable items and like mentioned before, buy when they are low and sell when they are high. Just watch the graphs and you'll see what I mean there.

Good luck ;)

disturbeda.png

Pro merchanting tip:

Before putting in an offer for anything in bulk, I repeat if you are buying anything in bulk (such as 100k iron ores, 10 AGS, 5 ranger boots, anything that will cost a lot): Check to see if it is dropping in price.

How to be safe:

Put an offer for just 1 of the item you want at the lowest price. If it auto buys, then it's a bad idea to merchant it.

Stellactic.gif

is it true that rares like robin hats, santa hats, easter eggs generally tend to go up in value and never fall significantly?

Maybe buy 1 or more of them because they are usually stable profit makers.

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Goals achieved: lvl 99 Cooking, Fishing and Fletching.

Surrey CC and Liverpool FC fan for life!

is it true that rares like robin hats, santa hats, easter eggs generally tend to go up in value and never fall significantly?

Well that's not merchanting.

That's buying and waiting a year.

It all depends on the amount of cash in the game. If there is an excess amount of cash (inflation) Rares will go up, and Vice Versa.

Stellactic.gif

Robins aren't rares, they are treasure trail items so there are new ones coming into the game (Albeit slowly). And although normal rares are usually consistant profit they are not good investments in the short term. Though Ranger Boots, despite being non-rares, have been rising for months now and are at 9mil atm (Gonna be a while till I can buy em... :? )

Well I was planning to buy a load of robin hats and sitting on them for a month or two. Sensible or stupid?

See above post, they are not guarenteed to rise but you may profit.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

You're better off jumping on the bandwagon of merching Prayer potions and Ranars.

But to be honest I hate merchants, but they're part of the game I guess.

Prayer potions will never go down too much in price, even if you failed to spot the price to dump and lost a haul..

You can always wait till they [bleep]e up again in the next merchanting spree.

nRLBLM.jpg

Well I was planning to buy a load of robin hats and sitting on them for a month or two. Sensible or stupid?

Stupid.

You would get more money buying them at their low then selling at their high, and continuing that for a month.

If anything, you don't know what updates will be brought out in a month or two.. If a money drainer comes out, chances are robins will drop.

Stellactic.gif

You're better off jumping on the bandwagon of merching Prayer potions and Ranars.

But to be honest I hate merchants, but they're part of the game I guess.

Prayer potions will never go down too much in price, even if you failed to spot the price to dump and lost a haul..

You can always wait till they [bleep]e up again in the next merchanting spree.

Do Not Do This!

Merchant clans are [bleep]ing up the game, and are putting more harm than when Macros and Bots were around.

You remember what happened to Runescape when they fixed the Bot issue don't you? They [bleep]ed with the free trade, screwed over Innocent people, took away staking, and took 2 years to fix PKing, thus using up time for actual updates that could of been useful.

Do not deal with merchant clans.

Do not be a douche.

Stellactic.gif

with merchanting don't risk anything u can't afford to lose. The best items are ones that rise and all rapidly. Buy in bulk and hope the best.

Also the item you merchant should b popular such as iron bars. Don't merchant willow logs for example.

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Goals achieved: lvl 99 Cooking, Fishing and Fletching.

Surrey CC and Liverpool FC fan for life!