Gaining Muscle

Deathmath

If you are too weak to do a normal pushup, and too cheap to buy gym equipment try this (my dad showed it to me a few years ago):

Do pushups on a raised surface, like a kitchen sink. (Place you hands on the edge of the sink, and your feet on the ground, that is. The pushups will be far easier than normal ones.

Once you begin to feel confident, move on to a lower surface.

Rinse, wash, and repeat. I myself am no longer the weakest person I know due to this, and can even do a whole 50 normal pushups* even if I feel like I'm dieing afterwards!

*Note, I have a bad elbow, so bending my arms more than halfway is not an option if I don't want to hear alarming cracks.

*Note: no one cares.

I'm sorry for posting an extra sentence to clarify what I meant. After all, 50 half pushups are a whole lot less strenuous than 50 full ones. I was giving advice for the thread, and made an extra comment.

If you find my posts boring or don't care, then its pretty easy to skip over them.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a jerk here, but that comment irritated me.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

If you are too weak to do a normal pushup, and too cheap to buy gym equipment try this (my dad showed it to me a few years ago):

Do pushups on a raised surface, like a kitchen sink. (Place you hands on the edge of the sink, and your feet on the ground, that is. The pushups will be far easier than normal ones.

Once you begin to feel confident, move on to a lower surface.

Rinse, wash, and repeat. I myself am no longer the weakest person I know due to this, and can even do a whole 50 normal pushups* even if I feel like I'm dieing afterwards!

*Note, I have a bad elbow, so bending my arms more than halfway is not an option if I don't want to hear alarming cracks.

*Note: no one cares.

I'm sorry for posting an extra sentence to clarify what I meant. After all, 50 half pushups are a whole lot less strenuous than 50 full ones. I was giving advice for the thread, and made an extra comment.

If you find my posts boring or don't care, then its pretty easy to skip over them.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a jerk here, but that comment irritated me.

Reb is a master at irritating people.

Anyways, I'd suggest the first thing you do is go through the physical therapy before you start worrying about building muscle. Make sure you do all the exercises that your therapist tells you to do, and as many times as they tell you to do them. Keep doing those even after you're done with your therapy or you might end up like me and have a limited range of motion, which isn't fun. Then once you get done with all that you want to do low impact things like swimming and very light weight lifting. During that time you want to take in a lot of protein and make sure that you are taking in more calories than you're burning off. Then of course you should slowly build your way up to a higher energy and more strenuous workout. Make sure you talk to your doctor and your physical therapist about what you can and can't do.

Oh and do lots of stretching.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

As a general rule anything over 10 reps is cardio, not muscle mass improvement.

The entire point of trying to increase the amount of muscle is causing microtears in the muscle fiber by lifting weights that are at 80 to 100% of your maximum, for 2 to 8 repetitions at the maximum. Which in turn causes proteins to be carried to that area of the body to repair it & slightly improve the mass every single time.

I would definitely not recommend 'real' weight training after a serious back surgery. Cardio is a safer option until you get absolutely better with the back, because there is a possibility you can wreck it again.