Gaining Muscle

Deathmath

I wouldn't say I was buff but I had decent muscles from stuff.

Now I'm the stickiest guy known to man because

1. I had major back surgery
  2. I had another back surgery
  3. I'm not playing soccer or lifting much stuff because of 1 or 2

I'm not sure exactly how to get back the muscles. I am not a member of a gym, I have unlimited membership to a pool and a basic weight bench. Can barely bench 30 pounds. Can't do a push up. Can jog about a quarter mile. I guess I'm going in for physical therapy soon, but idk. I feel really horrible, no energy etc, I look like I'm anorexic. I blame my doctor for being a douche with my restrictions of doing stuff but whatever.

If you guys don't know what you are talking about don't post.

If you have some idea tell me.

If you really know tell me that.

So the main question is:

How can I gain back arm/torso/back muscle? (I know I can jog for my legs, have already started and it's helping)

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

Here.

I think that thread will still apply.

Did it ever apply? I don't see any help there except for "I can lift lots of weight... durrr" (no offense intended)

easy way to get muscles back is to do an exercise like barbells (about 8 repetitions, no more) and do it every (/other) day. you don't wanna overdo it, that makes the muscles tired and deflated.

itsadot.JPG (that's a bug bite and my forearm(not the back of a small leg))

Thanks. Any more advice?

At least you have muscles :rolleyes:

Well, people ask for weight lifting and other stuff like that in there, and I don't think this warrants its own thread.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Honestly this isn't a weightlifting only issue. It's overall exercise stuff. WHen I'm this weak should I even try to lift, or try to do some general swimming or something first?

In my unexperienced opinion, I think you should do some general stuff first. Swimming would probably be really good.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Workout doing various exercises, get lots of protein into your diet.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Why did you need surgery on your back? Was it a slipped disk or what? The only thing people here can recommend to you based on what you've told us is stuff you already know, obvious things. Stop being useless and just do them, unless it means another surgery down the road

hiccup.png

Scoliosis: i have a pretty long spinal fusion.

Don't plan on a gym membership.

If I do it will be after I can actually do the baseline stuff.

Basically, to gain weight calorie intake >> calorie output. So I'd actually take it easy on the cardio stuff (although swimming's quite a muscular activity) because you might end up burning more calories than you're eating, and even if you don't you'll still be pushing the ratio down. So stop running.

If you're serious about this, I'd recommend buying a basic whey protein shake (just protein, not one of those crappy "bulking" ones which has lots of sugars in it) and a set of adjustable dumbells. If you want to gain muscle you need to do heavier lifts than bodyweight allows you, which is why i'd recommend adjustable dumbells. Do basic compound stuff, chest presses, flyes, shoulder presses, bicep curls (meh), single arm rows etc. etc. 5 reps of 5 sets as heavy as you can for each one. Legs are damn hard to work without a gym membership but you could do dumbell squats.

Have a protein shake and some carbs after each workout, and otherwise eat like it's your living. To gain 1lb of muscle a week you want to be eating a 500 calorie daily excess. People overobsess with eating clean, you're not bodybuilding and i'm sure your heart is probably fine so if you need to eat muffins to get carbs don't feel bad about it. Some people might disagree with me about this though.

Oh and something I did to put on weight over the summer was drink ~4 pints of whole milk a day. Sounds like a lot but some coaches recommend a gallon. It works, and isn't as bad for you as you might think. Not a long term strategy though. If you have any questions about this, obviously just ask. Without wanting to blow my own trumpet too much, I do know my stuff, even if I can't always stick to it myself.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

If you are too weak to do a normal pushup, and too cheap to buy gym equipment try this (my dad showed it to me a few years ago):

Do pushups on a raised surface, like a kitchen sink. (Place you hands on the edge of the sink, and your feet on the ground, that is. The pushups will be far easier than normal ones.

Once you begin to feel confident, move on to a lower surface.

Rinse, wash, and repeat. I myself am no longer the weakest person I know due to this, and can even do a whole 50 normal pushups* even if I feel like I'm dieing afterwards!

*Note, I have a bad elbow, so bending my arms more than halfway is not an option if I don't want to hear alarming cracks.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

You should probably talk to your doctor, first. He'll probably have advice, if not a list of people who can help you recover. If you've had major back surgeries, you shouldn't be working out like someone who hasn't had those problems. For all we know, you might fall down and hurt yourself after a mile run.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

You should probably talk to your doctor, first. He'll probably have advice, if not a list of people who can help you recover. If you've had major back surgeries, you shouldn't be working out like someone who hasn't had those problems. For all we know, you might fall down and hurt yourself after a mile run.

Fair enough.

If you are too weak to do a normal pushup, and too cheap to buy gym equipment try this (my dad showed it to me a few years ago):

Do pushups on a raised surface, like a kitchen sink. (Place you hands on the edge of the sink, and your feet on the ground, that is. The pushups will be far easier than normal ones.

Once you begin to feel confident, move on to a lower surface.

Rinse, wash, and repeat. I myself am no longer the weakest person I know due to this, and can even do a whole 50 normal pushups* even if I feel like I'm dieing afterwards!

*Note, I have a bad elbow, so bending my arms more than halfway is not an option if I don't want to hear alarming cracks.

*Note: no one cares.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

and otherwise eat like it's your living.

I found that a good trick for eating a lot more than what you're used to is wait for your entire family to serve themselves dinner, then cram whatever is left onto your plate. My family always cooks extra incase someone visits and if nobody does it gives one of us a good lunch during the week, so I get a lot of extra food now.

hiccup.png

how the hell could you even afford to drink 4 pints of milk a day. Thats just absurd.

4 pints is £1.55 from a supermarket. It's not as cheap, but in terms of protein/fat/calorie content whole milk is one of the best value foods out there to bulk with. Putting on weight can be done on a budget but it's always going to cost simply because you have to eat a lot more stuff.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Deathmath - you should really swim. I don't know about building muscle, but it would be too time consuming and offer no real benefits as yet.

Swimming, is not as intensive or demanding as other forms of exercise mentioned and in addition to relieving stress [which you seem to have a lot of] it will improve your back problem.

Try going to the pool perhaps twice a week and doing 25 x 50m freestyle laps. Should only take you about half an hour.

Other than talk to your doctor, I'd strongly suggest doing something about your energy levels first before you get too much into the exercise. Sounds like you might have a slight iron deficiency - you'd need a blood test to confirm that tho.

Swimming is a very good suggestion to ease back into the exercise plans. Can't say anything about that given your current situation.