The optimal spellbook

Troacctid

Okay. You're playing a rated game. You have a typical mixed book, playing to win rating, not just to screw around. What spells are you going to use? This isn't just a survey. I want some serious discussion here. Which spells are absolute must-haves? Which are personal preference? Arcane Gate is obviously a given, of course.

I think every good spellbook has to recognize the incredible power of Clock Tower and Cuckoo Clock. Best tower in the game, best damaging spell in the game. Don't leave home without them. Mega Boulder (and by extension Mud Ball) is important as well simply because of the sheer raw power. It requires very little commitment in your spellbook and gives you unrivaled KO power and the ability to come back from otherwise hopeless situations. I'd also say Shock Bomb is too much of a potential blowout to pass up on, especially when combined with Flight to make it easy to aim. Sinking an opponent AND hitting them for 80 is a ridiculous advantage. In fact, it's so ridiculous that it can make a game virtually unwinnable from the very first turn, which is why I use Zero Shield to mitigate that chance factor and make games less dependent on luck. Protection Shield makes a good partner to Zero Shield as well as Flight. You also need something to deal with towers reliably; I prefer Pebble Shot. Blast from the Past is a nice utility spell that comes in handy often, so let's add that in.

That leaves me with:

-Arcane Gate

-Arcane Zero Shield

-Pebble Shot

-Mud Ball

-Mega Boulder

-Shock Bomb

-Storm Spirit

-Flight

-Protection Shield

-Clock Tower

-Cuckoo Clock

-Blast from the Past

-4 more spaces

What do you guys think?

Are you looking for a set that works in every map with 2-6 players with any turn-times etc?

I thought the point in arcanists was that you could (and should) change your spellbook after every few rounds and react to the books that you see others using a lot.

That set leaves you pretty vulnerable against trap spells and forces you to use arcane gate if you spawn in a bad position. I'd suggest taking some summon, a healing spell (drain) and deluge.

Looks like you did the best setup for straight forward battles. But with different game-settings the games aren't often that straightforward. (hiders using full books in team games, 5 sec games etc etc)

arcane flash, for breaking out of traps and knocking people in water.

shining bolt, to utterly destroy liches.

either drain bolt or healing spell.

fourth is your choice.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

As other have said before its weak to mostly hiding and tanking.

but those strategies are more uncommon than what those spells are going to do well against

As for team games...

Hiding is a very powerful tactic in team games.

You need a way to keep the hiders on the move and develop pressure. mixed books usually have trouble dealing with a hider who survived the first 5 turns.

My best team games were when i hid. all my allies died and my foes were unharmed but i still won.

And in team games its also worth considering using ice tower instead of clock tower. (Depending on how much full stone you are seeing)

As other have said before its weak to mostly hiding and tanking.

but those strategies are more uncommon than what those spells are going to do well against

As for team games...

Hiding is a very powerful tactic in team games.

You need a way to keep the hiders on the move and develop pressure. mixed books usually have trouble dealing with a hider who survived the first 5 turns.

My best team games were when i hid. all my allies died and my foes were unharmed but i still won.

And in team games its also worth considering using ice tower instead of clock tower. (Depending on how much full stone you are seeing)

why, exactly? sure, ice tower can be healed, but if you got pebbles coming your way, it doesn't really matter....

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

Ice tower can't be sunk.

In team games full books are a bit more common.

It become a more viable choice. because it cannot be sunk and heals with snowball. a good spell to start off with. the loss of clock isn't too major.

Ice tower can't be sunk.

In team games full books are a bit more common.

It become a more viable choice. because it cannot be sunk and heals with snowball. a good spell to start off with. the loss of clock isn't too major.

but doesn't ice tower not sinking only work with full book + familiar? (I may be wrong.)

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

• 2 months later...

I was trying out that spell book in unrated games today..I was pleasantly surprised :o

It was my first time using flight/shock bomb combo

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

• 3 months later...

Having played a bit I'll tell you some spells I can't work without, granted, I'm by no means a pro, but I can hold my ground:

Arcane gate and flash. Sure, some will say they can just shock bomb or whatever, but arcane flash is just awesome for huge sinking damage.

Shining bolt. A must have in any book, you don't want to wind up against a lich or a wright without one.

Den. I just love it - it deals damage, it heals itself.

Fire arrow (with fire bolt) - once you learn to properly use it from any spot (save for trapped), it's amazing. 200 damage right there. Bolt's nice too, but other than for the arrow, unnecessary.

Rain of arrows (along with fire rain) - With their accuracy it makes it probably one of the more devastating target spells. I can't count the times it's saved my ass when I use it after gating to a hiding spot when Im down to very little hp.

Shock bomb - it's just awesome.

Aura of Decay - Yeah, guarantees that one guy who's hiding over there to move away.

Fire Shield.

Vulcano.

and the rest I usually mix around depending on the mood. I'll often have deluge or rain of chaos (once you learn to use it properly, it kicks ass), sometimes changing for mud ball and mass boulder or some other stuff. But the first stuff, well, I always feel awkward without it.

Profins.png

specty.png