Skill Demographs

Socrates

The demographics of where the players in the highscore reside level-wise has always been something that has interested me. I'm not 100% sure that demographics is the right word or that i'm explaining this properly so i'll try to avoid using technical language that is over my head and instead explain in more literal terms with an example.

On my way through slayer when I reached level 85 I believe I was ranked about 40,000 and then as i progressed through I was amazed at the ranks I gained from just one level. Of course this is obvious (for slayer) that people stop to camp but this is merely an example and I would like to discuss where you guys think there are large proportions of people with each amount of exp for different levels.

Clearly there are going to be vast amounts of players 1 - 50k exp above a 99 in most skills but I would have thought there are some interesting levels in each skill where people decide to stop training for one reason or another. I believe levels ending in 0s and 5s would have slightly larger amounts of people "stopping" on them along with various other points within skills.

These are just a few I can think of..

70 agility for SGWD.

73 smithing for Varrok Diary

85 mining and smithing simply for the "rune" factor.

85 and 90 slayer for whip camping, however I think stopping at 90 isn't to camp D bows but because it's the end of all slayer monsters

43 prayer for protect from melee

70 prayer for piety and blessing gravestones

On the other hand I believe there are some skills which will have less "build ups" of players. For example, 91 runecrafting - originially I decided this level would have a high proportion of players but then it came to my attention this may not be the case because on the large part, players in general get 91 runecrafting to runecraft. So i guess from a discussion point of view, where do you think some of these "stops" are, or indeed you're more than welcome to reject some of my predictions with either fact (highscores) or another theory.

Admittedly I have not actually looked into this on the highscores but if anyone knows of, or can code, something that will generate a graph of players and their exp, I believe this would be extremely interesting to analyse.

Just my thoughts on something i've been meaning to write for literally ages.

Thanks for your time.

edtheripperpixelsigv2zy8.png

Thanks to Jopie for this great signature.

99 Slayer|Fishing|Summoning|Hitpoints|Attack|Strength|Defence|Fletching.

Anyone at Manchester University PM me

Just a few I can think of at the top of my head:

88 Summoning for Unicorn

94 Magic for Barrage

88 or 92 herblore for all extreme pot or overload (while stewing a +4)

sigwg.png

Are you into DnB or Dubstep?

Be sure to check my SOUNDCLOUD and MIXCLOUD,

and like me on FACEBOOK to stay up to date!

Latest mix: Leuven Goes Out Deejay Contest Winning Set (Dubstep + DnB)

88 Summoning for Unicorn

94 Magic for Barrage

I completely agree with summoning but not so much magic or herblore. Do you not think that people who get 94 magic to barrage, do barrage and those who get 88 and 92 herblore make their own potions? Then again i'm sure the amount of potions made probably isn't large enough to move people from 88 or 92 herblore, due to their untradeable nature.

edtheripperpixelsigv2zy8.png

Thanks to Jopie for this great signature.

99 Slayer|Fishing|Summoning|Hitpoints|Attack|Strength|Defence|Fletching.

Anyone at Manchester University PM me

88 Summoning for Unicorn

94 Magic for Barrage

I completely agree with summoning but not so much magic or herblore. Do you not think that people who get 94 magic to barrage, do barrage and those who get 88 and 92 herblore make their own potions? Then again i'm sure the amount of potions made probably isn't large enough to move people from 88 or 92 herblore, due to their untradeable nature.

Which is exactly my point at magic too

sigwg.png

Are you into DnB or Dubstep?

Be sure to check my SOUNDCLOUD and MIXCLOUD,

and like me on FACEBOOK to stay up to date!

Latest mix: Leuven Goes Out Deejay Contest Winning Set (Dubstep + DnB)

Your point is logical.

68 for Bunyip is one.

65 herb and farming for WGS.

70 def for barrows pures (surprisingly a lot of mains keep 70 def till after 99 att and str)

W/E lvl turmoil is

92 firemaking for adze

For me lvl 70 is a popular lvl because of a personal goal to get my stats all 70+

The adze wouldn't be much of one since people normally get the adze to train wc, and you only need to do 1.65M wc xp with the adze until you get 93 fm so it wouldn't be a lasting one.

- 60/70/75 Attack for PKers

- Rounded numbers because they look nicer

- 75 Crafting for Slayer rings

- 45 Defence for rune pures

- 54 Agility used to be a big one for the elf quests

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

Admittedly I have not actually looked into this on the highscores but if anyone knows of, or can code, something that will generate a graph of players and their exp, I believe this would be extremely interesting to analyse.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is really that possible. I drew up a quickie in Matlab to try and parse data and although it works, Jagex don't like people making excessive requests which this would come under and they block your IP-Address after a short while temporarily. Hiscore-Lite obviously isn't an option as that's for specific player requests.

You could probably process in the range of 20 hiscore pages per skill, coming in at ~420 ranks per skill of data but even then you're not really getting enough data to provide an interesting graph over a variety of levels.

Still, I must agree with you - it is a very interesting area to look at! I must say I'm quite prone to just dropping skills at certain levels, particularly the 99s.

Edit :-

Although pretty poor, I recently did a quick one of the top ~420 ranks of Runecrafting as I'm training that at the moment, here's the graph. Relatively similar to what I expected, the experience gap between ~200-400 is pretty low compared to higher ranks.

[spoiler=Runecrafting Top-400 Exp]

rc400.png