Another person needs some efficiency people :D

Ezkaton

After a getting 90 summoning this weekend it has put the fact that I want to get 99 smithing whilst I still have the money more and more into my mind. I have just about the patience to keep my CP until I'm 90 slayer and 90 fishing, and then will most likely liquidate my assets like DFS, and put them into the smithing skill to gain the 99 I've wanted since being a wee little noob when I started.

So over to you efficiency junkies again *points at mori, zaaps, and codguy* I need your help and after seeing what you did for muggi, I'm sure this is up your alley :)

I will be going for 99 smithing through the use of SC hammers or any other efficient method obviously; but it's the item to make that's bugging me.

I have found addy tips extremely slow since starting them; however they're the cheapest exp going where addy is concerned and therefore the best for me to get at the moment. However I'm now 87 smithing, that means that if I used dwarven stouts I could boost to do plates for that short period of time. Then again, there's always gold smithing with gold gauntlets.

Which leads to my conundrum..... Which is better exp/hr, and which is the better gp/exp. I have no idea whether I'll favour speed or cost; but..... if it gets me 99 it works. Also...... If I did addy plates would it be wise to switch to doing rune 2h's at 98? They were only -4gp/exp last time I saw.

So over to you efficiency people. And please try to make it simplistic for me :P I only have a grade B at GCSE maths and never took it on to college or degree....... :D

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

I could figure this out, I just have one question: what do you value your time at? Basically, what is the most money you can make per hour? I'd need that for any calculations.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

I could figure this out, I just have one question: what do you value your time at? Basically, what is the most money you can make per hour? I'd need that for any calculations.

To be honest I'd say no idea. But seeing as you need a figure I'd have to say about 1m/hour if I chose to camp green or blue dragons and bank the bones and hides.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

Okay, as for the question of addy plates vs. addy bolts, plates win assuming 1m per hour.

Adamant bar: 3111gp

Adamant platebody: 9809gp

Adamant bolts (unf): 252 each.

In one hour, you can make 600 plate bodies, translating to 187.5k xp. It costs a total of 3,447,600gp.

You can make 10125 bolts in that time (average rate), translating to 63,281xp. It costs 598,387gp.

Add the 1m you gave up by smithing instead of making money, and the methods cost 4,447,600 and 1,598,387 per hour respectively. Dividing that by the xp gained from each method means that making plates costs 23.7 gp/xp and making bolts costs 25.26 gp/xp (using the idea of opportunity cost, not looking at just the money), meaning that addy plates are more efficient.

I'm not sure the rate of smelting gold, but my gut tells me that it would probably be more efficient. Morionic probably has the answer.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

I'm not sure the rate of smelting gold, but my gut tells me that it would probably be more efficient. Morionic probably has the answer.

I tell everybody this but superheating gold is awesome <3

especially if you superheat it while you mine it from living rock caverns

but not everybody wants magic/mining xp that badly. But if you do, that method blows all other methods out of the water, virtually regardless of income rates.

Tell me how much you value your time, or what your income is and I'll see what my spreadsheets tell you to train =D

Naaxi.png

I tell everybody this but superheating gold is awesome <3

especially if you superheat it while you mine it from living rock caverns

but not everybody wants magic/mining xp that badly. But if you do, that method blows all other methods out of the water, virtually regardless of income rates.

Tell me how much you value your time, or what your income is and I'll see what my spreadsheets tell you to train =D

Thanks for those calcs killer :) I'm sure they'll come in handy! :D

And as I said above Mori, I'd say only about 1m/hour, Idk if I could make more or less, but it seems like a decent figure with my stats, does it not? :P ^^

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

And as I said above Mori, I'd say only about 1m/hour, Idk if I could make more or less, but it seems like a decent figure with my stats, does it not? :P ^^

1 mil's a good estimate for anyone. It won't make a huge difference

anyways sc tools + addy bolts currently > smelting gold ore for you, as long as you can get ~ 5 sc tools per hour with a good clan chat

addy bolts and addy platebodies are roughly equivalent in efficiency a 1 mil/hour income

your call, how much money do you really want to spend. (or if you're even high enuf smithing lvl for platebodies lol)

last but not least, the only methods that can beat out addy bolts/addy platebodies for you would be superheating.

do you want to train mining? if so do it with the living rock + superheat method.

do you want to train magic? once again, superheating all the way

Naaxi.png

1 mil's a good estimate for anyone. It won't make a huge difference

anyways sc tools + addy bolts currently > smelting gold ore for you, as long as you can get ~ 5 sc tools per hour with a good clan chat

addy bolts and addy platebodies are roughly equivalent in efficiency a 1 mil/hour income

your call, how much money do you really want to spend. (or if you're even high enuf smithing lvl for platebodies lol)

last but not least, the only methods that can beat out addy bolts/addy platebodies for you would be superheating.

do you want to train mining? if so do it with the living rock + superheat method.

do you want to train magic? once again, superheating all the way

I would say getting 5 hammers or so a hour sounds like a fair guesstimate as I usually use "Fast Sc" for the quickest non-combat sc.

As I said first off I'm really kind of willing to spend any amount for the greatest 99 in the game ;) I've wanted it since day 1, and this is the only skill I can overlook cost. And I'm only 400K off smithing plates, and have a couple of hammers in bank atm anyways.

And I would love to train those things; however, what's the quickest way for me to get from 62 or so mining to 80 without me wanting to rip out my eyes and cut off my hands?

And again, mage would be epic to train, because I need it to ATLEAST 80 for boss hunting with my friends as they all say they'll shove me in as tank with 99 def and a pony nao ;_; So if I went to bandos 80 mage would be min, and I HATE alching, HATEHATEHATELOATHDETEST! But don't know many other methods.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

I am not familiar with gold smelting. I only ever did it once, and I did not take extensive data on it, and I really haven't seen extensive data on it anywhere else.

Consider: bolts are 65k xp/hr and 200k loss while plates are 190k xp/hr and 1m loss. These are approx. and I haven't kept a good eye on the prices, but as you will soon see that's pretty irrelevant.

1 hour of platebodies therefore equals 3 hours of bolts. So by making plates, you are spending 800k to save 2 hours of effort. Thus, if you can make over 800k in those 2 hours, platebodies are better. Use stout if you must.

But it's not that simple when you factor in SC hammers

Then, if we assume 5 SC tools/hr, in 8 hours of platebodies you get 1.9m xp and 5m loss, while in 6 hours of bolts you get 650k xp and 1m loss. For plates, that's 237k xp/hr and 625k loss/hr. For bolts it's 108 xp/hr and 167k loss/hr. In other words, you would be paying 458k per hour to get 129k extra xp/hr.

As far as your mining question goes, take a look at my guide (link in sig). I recommend stars or granite. Yes it's hard, but it doesn't last long until you get to the Living Rock Caverns.

I am not familiar with gold smelting. I only ever did it once, and I did not take extensive data on it, and I really haven't seen extensive data on it anywhere else.

Consider: bolts are 65k xp/hr and 200k loss while plates are 190k xp/hr and 1m loss. These are approx. and I haven't kept a good eye on the prices, but as you will soon see that's pretty irrelevant.

1 hour of platebodies therefore equals 3 hours of bolts. So by making plates, you are spending 800k to save 2 hours of effort. Thus, if you can make over 800k in those 2 hours, platebodies are better. Use stout if you must.

But it's not that simple when you factor in SC hammers

Then, if we assume 5 SC tools/hr, in 8 hours of platebodies you get 1.9m xp and 5m loss, while in 6 hours of bolts you get 650k xp and 1m loss. For plates, that's 237k xp/hr and 625k loss/hr. For bolts it's 108 xp/hr and 167k loss/hr. In other words, you would be paying 458k per hour to get 129k extra xp/hr.

As far as your mining question goes, take a look at my guide (link in sig). I recommend stars or granite. Yes it's hard, but it doesn't last long until you get to the Living Rock Caverns.

So therefore...... If we took bolts after those 3 hours to be the same exp as 1 hour of plates they're 400K cheaper...... 400K isn't too much really to be bothered about.

And I think I've seen your guide before...... I'll give it a go, getting the odd question here and there.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

So therefore...... If we took bolts after those 3 hours to be the same exp as 1 hour of plates they're 400K cheaper...... 400K isn't too much really to be bothered about.

And I think I've seen your guide before...... I'll give it a go, getting the odd question here and there.

you sound like you're getting confused

you can do basic efficiency calculations it seems, here's the raw data, do with it as you please.

sc hammers addy platebodies: 196k xp/hour, -1810k gp/hour

sc hammers addy bolts: 108k xp/hour, -510k gp/hour

gold smelting: 73k xp/hour, -272k gp/hour

gold superheating: 106k smithing + 94k magic xp/hour, -841k gp/hour

living rocks combo method: 52k mining + 45k smithing + 40k magic xp/hour, -105k gp/hour

Naaxi.png

you sound like you're getting confused

you can do basic efficiency calculations it seems, here's the raw data, do with it as you please.

sc hammers addy platebodies: 196k xp/hour, -1810k gp/hour

sc hammers addy bolts: 108k xp/hour, -510k gp/hour

gold smelting: 73k xp/hour, -272k gp/hour

gold superheating: 106k smithing + 94k magic xp/hour, -841k gp/hour

living rocks combo method: 52k mining + 45k smithing + 40k magic xp/hour, -105k gp/hour

Thanks Morionic, Maths was never my strong point. However I do have a friend studying maths who's going for 99 smithing with me also looking at this topic helping to explain :D s'all good.

But thanks you three. The information has been invaluable to myself and my friend Lordoctarine. I'm not sure if we need any more help, but we'll post if we do.

Thank you <3:

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

On the topic of superheating gold, does the bonus from the goldsmithing gauntlets from family crest apply while superheating?

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

I could take a crack at some of this, but don't have the time right now, so I believe Morionic and Zaaps, as well as any other contributors have gotten it down.

And just wanted to throw out one more idea:

If you want to take the gold route, you can also smelt gold, while superheating. You can view how to do it by viewing Zarfot's video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy-Tra5zouw. You can get up to about 2,100 gold ores smelted per hour, with about 118k xp/hour. I'd figure out the math behind cost efficiency, but as I mentioned, don't really have the time right now.

I'd personally get to 88 Smithing with whatever method you want, as you're so close, and then do Adamant Platebodies, with or without SC until 99. From 90-99, you'll save about 4 hours, from my experience, by not using SC hammers, however, you end up losing quite a bit of money. I just did a rough, quick calculation, and in order for not using SC with Smithing to be cost efficient, you have to value your time at approximately 14.3m/hour. So, not doing SC is faster, but a lot more expensive. Personally, I'll be using SC :P even though I hate it.

codguy.png

Codguy.png

I could take a crack at some of this, but don't have the time right now, so I believe Morionic and Zaaps, as well as any other contributors have gotten it down.

If you want to take the gold route, you can also smelt gold, while superheating. You can view how to do it by viewing Zarfot's video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy-Tra5zouw. You can get up to about 2,100 gold ores smelted per hour, with about 118k xp/hour. I'd figure out the math behind cost efficiency, but as I mentioned, don't really have the time right now.

I'd personally get to 88 Smithing with whatever method you want, as you're so close, and then do Adamant Platebodies, with or without SC until 99. From 90-99, you'll save about 4 hours, from my experience, by not using SC hammers, however, you end up losing quite a bit of money. I just did a rough, quick calculation, and in order for not using SC with Smithing to be cost efficient, you have to value your time at approximately 14.3m/hour. So, not doing SC is faster, but a lot more expensive. Personally, I'll be using SC :P even though I hate it.

I tried looking up that video! but I couldnt open it for some reason.

anyways how old is that video? because jagex updated superheating to take up 3 game ticks instead of 2, meaning absolutely no more than 2000 gold ores can be superheated per hour. maybe Zarfot's video is just old, and that's why he was able to do 2100 per hour.

you can of course, cast superheat, high alchemy, and enchant spells simultaneously for extra magic xp with your smithing xp.

Naaxi.png

I tried looking up that video! but I couldnt open it for some reason.

anyways how old is that video? because jagex updated superheating to take up 3 game ticks instead of 2, meaning absolutely no more than 2000 gold ores can be superheated per hour. maybe Zarfot's video is just old, and that's why he was able to do 2100 per hour.

you can of course, cast superheat, high alchemy, and enchant spells simultaneously for extra magic xp with your smithing xp.

No, it's superheating AND smelting at the same time, meaning that it'll go faster than just either on its own.There's a different video which you're thinking of in which he manages to superheat at an astounding rate, but this one is still possible as far as I know.

MischlingsSH.png

Wow that's weird. Even though it's the correct link, it just sends you to youtube. And yes, I checked, it's the same URL.

Anyways, look up 'Superheating while smelting' and it's the first result. Still up, by the way. Max superheating is about 1,800 bars per hour, and this method can get about 300 more then per hour. Basically, you smelt, and every 2 bars, you cast superheat, so you're basically getting 2,100 bars instead of 1,400 (smelting) per hour.

codguy.png

Codguy.png