vBulletin type of ignore list

Faux

/sigh

i'm sure it's okay with most people because they don't know better, i'm just asking for a permanent solution instead of it popping up every time i see someone post. the whole reason why someone takes the time to even put someone on their ignore list is so we can avoid the user entirely, and yet we're reminded of it everytime i see the post.

that's why it's redundant.

maybe just give us the option to do so.

/sigh

i'm sure it's okay with most people because they don't know better, i'm just asking for a permanent solution instead of it popping up every time i see someone post. the whole reason why someone takes the time to even put someone on their ignore list is so we can avoid the user entirely, and yet we're reminded of it everytime i see the post.

that's why it's redundant.

maybe just give us the option to do so.

Just because I am a mod doesn't mean I cannot ignore users who annoy. :-P

Anyway I can see how a post popping up can be irritating, but honestly I don't feel it's that big a problem to need action. Just skip/ignore it when you see it. It does seem silly to show it, but it isn't completely redundant in the function.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

no offense, but if you're not an admin and have no clue how IPB works, maybe it's just a few clicks to get it done?

i've suggested things in the past that were implemented with proper coding even though they weren't a "huge" problem. but that was back when albosky was an admin

Are you running Firefox? If so, get the addon Stylish. Once you've restarted Firefox, right-click on the icon in the bottom right corner, select Write New Style -> For forum.tip.it, name it whatever you want, and replace all the code in the box that appears there with this:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("forum.tip.it") {
.post_ignore {
   display: none !important;
}
}

Best I could slap out in 5 minutes. There's still a visible space, but I think you can cope with that.

C2b6gs7.png

*sigh* ... Why does this thread feel like spam? ... -.-

I share the same opinion as y_guy_4_life on this one... But what the 'hey', let's give ShadowFaxPZ the option to totally do away with ignored posts... It can't possibly hurt or ruin the context of a thread, right? :?

My personal take on this: Unless someone is intentionally being a [ble-e-e-e-(Sorry, that had to get censored!)-e-e-ep] at a level where the Admins should be handling them, then the ignore feature is just about useless. I don't use it myself, simply because I understand the necessity of thread context, even if it can get rancid at times. Of course, if it does that, there's always a nifty report button to use to call in someone who can handle it properly. Trust the Tip.It Forum Staff, okay? ;)

~Mr. D. V. "We can avoid the overkill here if we think..." Devnull

(p.s.: If you're really gonna be that bent out of shape, then do try dsavi_x4's suggestion... but I really think even that ain't necessary.)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I have to say I agree about not using the ignore feature, if there's someone that's that bad, they usually aren't able to dodge the banhammer for long. I mean, there are people who annoy me because they push opinions that I see as illogical but I don't see that as a valid reason to ignore them.

C2b6gs7.png

no offense, but if you're not an admin and have no clue how IPB works, maybe it's just a few clicks to get it done?

i've suggested things in the past that were implemented with proper coding even though they weren't a "huge" problem. but that was back when albosky was an admin

For someone who is being given constructive posts regarding the issue, you're being rather rude.

And D_V_Devnull made a very good point. If someone is being that bad that they are being ignored, then it is likely that action would have been taken against them. Unless you are simply ignoring people in a petty manner, it does tend to lack a use.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I think its fine as it is.

It shouldn't be a feature you are using LOOOAAAAAADDDS unless you are quite petty and hold meaningless grudges.

But even so where you do use it if it just complete hide all traces of that user you could get yourself confused.

eg on a thread if user x makes a good point and then theres like 2 pages of posts back referencing to user x's post.

If u have them ignored and see nothing you're gonna be totally lost, atleast with the OPTION there to view it so you know there is a post there u can read it to get the context.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I can tell you right now, it would take more than a few clicks to implement.

Albosky coded back on PHPBB2, where MODs and snippets are available all over the place and for free, while MODs for IPB tend to cost and it is not open source. While I have no idea if he used a MOD or hand-coded what you'd asked for since you did not provide any context other than 'things', it was significantly easier to code for the forum due to the huge number of resources available and people experienced with the opensource board. I'm not saying our technical staff will not try to cater to needs of this community, but there is only so much they can accomplish and it is better to accomplish things that will benefit and meet the demands of a large proportion of the userbase. It is not like we are missing an ignore feature - it works and you just have to exercise a little self control if you don't want to read their post. Better than not having one at all, I'd say. No it isn't necessarily the best system for everybody, but this is the software's default. If it really bothers you this much, dsavi provided a workaround above you can try on firefox.

Additionally, Paw Claw makes a good point about the logistic flow of a topic, if you don't know somebody posted and suddenly people are responding to them, it would get confusing very quickly.

1.png
generic_signature.png

• 2 weeks later...

albosky himself said he never used mods. he wrote it all himself ;)

I think its fine as it is.

It shouldn't be a feature you are using LOOOAAAAAADDDS unless you are quite petty and hold meaningless grudges.

But even so where you do use it if it just complete hide all traces of that user you could get yourself confused.

eg on a thread if user x makes a good point and then theres like 2 pages of posts back referencing to user x's post.

If u have them ignored and see nothing you're gonna be totally lost, atleast with the OPTION there to view it so you know there is a post there u can read it to get the context.

either you missed my post or your ignore feature works better than mine. or you just can't read :(

rofl you guys are hilarious

so both of you admit you don't use the feature and then try to persuade me how it's perfectly fine

For the sake of thread clarity...

rofl you guys are hilarious

so both of you admit you don't use the feature and then try to persuade me how it's perfectly fine

I'm still trying to figure out what "it" refers to.
"it" = "the feature"

~Mr. D. V. "I don't think I can get simpler than that..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)