Kills/H at DKs

bedman

I recently had a Dagganoth task and decided to try out solo hybridding DKs in stead of the normal cannoning or CT's. (thank you Ampharos for the inventory and gear recommendations).

I managed to get around 40 kills an hour this way and I was wondering how this compares to the other ways of doing dk's: Maging, duo trybridding, solo trybridding and maybe some general tips. Right now it seems prime is the one slowing me down, since Sup mostly respawns before I managed to finish off prime, and after killing Sup I have roughly half a minute before Prime spawns. I guess a busier world will solve the waiting for Prime, but if it's too busy, I risk Prime respawning on me while killing Sup, which can be lethal.

Knowing the numbers, what would be the best money then? Rex has the most expensive drop, being double that of an axe drop, and even his cheapest drop (warrior) is worth something (seercull anyone?), however you need to invest in runes and your kills/h is most likely lower than when you are solo hybridding. Solo trybridding seems to be the best compromise, but can you consistently kill all 3? (I do have access to all of the best gear, including overloads). It also puts you at a great risk vs solo hybridding, since solo hybridding always has a mage out who could bless your grave.

At my stats I can get about 30 rexes per hour, maybe closer to 35 with your stats.

Prime is always the slowest king which is why I always duo hybrid when I can.

For pure money nothing beats solo'ing rex.

I got roughly 1 item every hour and 30 minutes with all the drops being roughly equal in rarity.

Which works out at roughly 4.6m per 3 hours if you don't include any other drops.

Since you have pack yak you get atleast 500k per hour from banking the hides and bones.

Add that 500k to (4.6/3) you get about 2m per hour.

Of course you can have dry trips as well as epic trips (I've had about 4 10m+ trips with less then 3 hours in there).

Your not going to get close to that from any of the other kings. With rex you'll use about 500 casts per hour at the most (due to your stats) which is peanuts even with the most expensive spells.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

At my stats I can get about 30 rexes per hour, maybe closer to 35 with your stats.

Prime is always the slowest king which is why I always duo hybrid when I can.

For pure money nothing beats solo'ing rex.

I got roughly 1 item every hour and 30 minutes with all the drops being roughly equal in rarity.

Which works out at roughly 4.6m per 3 hours if you don't include any other drops.

Since you have pack yak you get atleast 500k per hour from banking the hides and bones.

Add that 500k to (4.6/3) you get about 2m per hour.

Of course you can have dry trips as well as epic trips (I've had about 4 10m+ trips with less then 3 hours in there).

I used a pack yak yeah, and I got over 1M an hour just on Bones, Hides and Tally's. Last trip came out at about 2M an hour this way, and that was a trip without axes, just an archer, a seer and a mudd staff. That's why I'm not sure whether Rex would still be the best money, since Hybridding should give more kills/h so more "basic drop profit".

I don't really see how duo-hybridding solves your slowyness, since you get half the kills and I'm pretty sure your kill rate doesn't double.

ALSO: Balmung, Whip or just my SGS for Supreme? Balmung would be pretty handy since it's cheap (I hope it doesn't protect over things) and one handed so you can switch easily to SGS or crystal bow. (I used crossbow with runite bolts and DFS last time though and it seemed a little quicker than crystal bow)

EDIT: Balmung DOES protect over a lot so SGS + whip , or just an SGS seems better.

Bump.

I got another DK task of 180 and thinking of a setup that would last me an entire trip OR just going for 2 (faster, because I won't compromise for prayer bonus) trips.

I'm thinking perhaps at solo trybridding, but I'm not sure how feasible it is to consistently kill all 3, and I don't like the risks involved when I will be alone there doing something new.

I'm also debating between rune crossbow + dfs vs. crystal bow. Last trip I used rune crossbow + dfs and used 200 runite bolts for 100 kills (50 primes), so the cost of the bolts is not really a problem. I only got attacked two times I think by supreme while ranging with the crossbow, so that doesnt seem too much of a problem either. I also used full black dhide with this setup, in stead of verac skirt + black d'hide top, because dfs would still give me decent defence bonus (I get better mage and range def bonuses with full black dhide and dfs than v skirt + dhide top and crystal bow), and it would help me to kill prime faster, the slow factor of the whole process. I'm just concerned about the +4 prayer loss, and if the +20 range attack would help this much.

Bump.

I got another DK task of 180 and thinking of a setup that would last me an entire trip OR just going for 2 (faster, because I won't compromise for prayer bonus) trips.

I'm thinking perhaps at solo trybridding, but I'm not sure how feasible it is to consistently kill all 3, and I don't like the risks involved when I will be alone there doing something new.

I'm also debating between rune crossbow + dfs vs. crystal bow. Last trip I used rune crossbow + dfs and used 200 runite bolts for 100 kills (50 primes), so the cost of the bolts is not really a problem. I only got attacked two times I think by supreme while ranging with the crossbow, so that doesnt seem too much of a problem either. I also used full black dhide with this setup, in stead of verac skirt + black d'hide top, because dfs would still give me decent defence bonus (I get better mage and range def bonuses with full black dhide and dfs than v skirt + dhide top and crystal bow), and it would help me to kill prime faster, the slow factor of the whole process. I'm just concerned about the +4 prayer loss, and if the +20 range attack would help this much.

I think two trips where you have more maxed gear or could piety would be much more efficient than one long one where you try to save supplies. I really don't like tribriding. But that is only my personal opinion.

You should bring rune crossbow and dfs over crystal bow. I don't like 2-handed weapons there for the low defense bonuses. (But maybe that's only me at 85 def) Killing prime is the most annoying part. Yes, the +20 range will help, but it may be more efficient to switch out your fury for a god stole. If you do that you will have +10 range and +5 prayer over the crystal bow setup. (If my numbers are correct)

EDIT: Also with the stole you could eagle eye, which would probably drain prayer the same as the crystal bow setup but drastically increase the speed of the kill.

Thewizard713.png

[99 Cooking][99 Magic][99 Fletching][99 Range]

DK drops: Berserker:15/Axe:30/ Warrior:14/Archers:15/ Seers:10/ Mud:6/ Total:90

GWD Drops: (Bandos: 1x Hilt, 1x BCP, 2x boots)

You mean full black d'hide + stole in stead of Verac skirt + crystal bow?

I personally consider fury too good to actually swap it for anything really, tbh. It seems to be the best combination of offence, defence and prayer for an ammy, whereas any alternative is always only good in one part.

About piety (or turmoil): I didn't use this because I would have enough time before Prime spawned anyway. I guess I could move to busier worlds though, so I will be "forced" to use piety/turmoil and get quicker kills.

I was also debating between normal prayers or curses. Normal prayers would allow me to flash eagle eye and piety, whereas curses allow me to deflect quite a bit of damage on Prime, and also get better sgs specs due to turmoil giving bigger bonuses.

If you have a SGS, which will heal a lot of prayer, you should probably go to a higher pop and piety. It will speed things up tremendously. I have not yet used prayer curses here at DKs so I cannot tell you which prayer set to use. But I found that eagle eye really does make a big difference. And since prime is where you will be taking most of the damage the faster kill the better. That means that you can take more restores/prayer pots in place of brews. And if you piety supreme you should hardly take damage from spinos at all, while killing him.

Thewizard713.png

Thanks. If I will piety/eagle eye I will flash it though, so it shouldn't really drain prayer more. Not sure if flashing piety will give me more defence against spyno's, but in any case I am able to stay there 3 hours on just brews, which seems long enough (unless I can do 5 and do the task in one go).

I was also wondering whether nobody has tried to hybrid Supreme and Rex yet? This would have quite a few advantages IMO:

1) They have the highest valued drops (Supreme has seercull, but 1 Archer + 1 Seercull > 1 Mudd staff + 1 Seers)

2) They are killed the fastest

3) No worries about Prime (you will have protect from magic on att all times)

4) You can soul split on rex to heal

=> Damn, just realised you can't use deflect magic and soul split at once. Never mind I guess.

Still, with turmoil and good gear you shouldn't take too much damage tanking supreme. Not sure if it's feasible for a whole trip though.

No more suggestions, comments, ... ? I'm sure some of you pro-dkers have some secrets/hints/tips

I'm gearing up right now and am deciding between whip and SGS. I will be ranging in crossbow and DFS and brining SGS in any case for its specs. Now i'm deciding whether to use it as a main weapon too. I can bring whip, and with protect item, I won't even be risking it, but is this even needed, when SGS might be just as good?

(+ sgs has got a nice prayer bonus)

Bump.

Just did a trip (still there, but logged ) in a 1050 population world and I'm managing fine with my whip + dfs and flashing piety when I can. I still have some time left to pick up Supreme's drops, run to Prime's drops, and start sending the items home. Not sure whether I should try higher populations. I technically can handle it, since I'm still having some spare time, but without the spare time, things might get a little too hectic?

Does anybody have a formula on respawn times as a function of world population?

I don't have a formula for the spawn rates, but they do spawn pretty fast at high population.

If you feel comfortable at the pop don't go higher. If it gets messy it gets really messy. I know that I can solo off-task at around 700 or 800 pop with 85 melees so you might wanna go a little higher. But don't push it too far.

EDIT: I don't like SGS there except for it's specials. But that's mainly because it's inaccurate with my melee stats and I do better with a shield because of my relatively low defense.

Thewizard713.png

Thanks. Part of the problem is my Yak, since I'm constantly busy picking up drops and sending drops home, or trying to find brews in it. On top of that, I'm overloading so I have to keep track of my LP, not brewing too much when I'm about to get healed 500 LP, etc. So yeah, if it gets messy, it can get really messy. The fact that you can pull 800 while off task, without overloads, and lesser stats encourages me to try at least a bit higher though.

Just got my seconds axe drop (solo) ever by the way :-)

Congrats on the axe! :)

And the 800 is with maxed gear, piety, and a titan. Yaks will slow things down a bit as you have to take a lot of time to manage them and their items. And I barely manage at 800. It's not easy and a few times prime will spawn on me. So don't worry if you can't do amazingly high pop. It takes a lot of practice to get everything down perfect. Just keep at it!

Thewizard713.png

When I get dagg tasks and feel like doing some DKs, I just solo rex and supreme, whilst leaving prime on me and constantly praying mage. In 4 trips, each time bringing 4 overloads, I got 60 kills total the first trip, and the next 3 always 75-76 kills. I just brought my full slay helm, dharok's body, verac's skirt, whip, blessed spirit shield, soul wars cape, dragon boots, barrow gloves, and in my inventory a void mace, guthix cape, and enhanced excalibur, along with runes for claws of guthix. I brought 4 overloads, 2 super antipoison p++, 1 super restore (just in case you have to brew alot and stats way too low, bring more if you feel like it), 9 super prayer potions, teleport out, yak storage scrolls, and one extra yak pouch, throwing axes for doors, one brew, one empty spot to pick up and bank drops, and yak full of brews. This was my approximate set up, I think it worked out fine, sometimes few brews left over, but I never really perfected it since I rarely get dag tasks and am in the mood to go anymore. DFS would have been preferred, along with bandos chestplate (ranged defence to tank supreme and small prayer bonus). I just used ring of wealth, but it will hardly make a difference anyways.

What I did at the entrance was sip a dose of overload, EE spec, 2 sips of brew, then wait for stats to go to max. I then went in and just cycled killing supreme and rex. I tried balmung, but the extra defense with whip+shield was superior from my experience, and the kill speeds were similar. I also used a timer so I knew to let my hp fall down a bit when 1-2 mintues were remaining for my overload. Since I got 75 kills in 80 minutes (approximately, 4 overloads worth of time), I was getting around 56 kills an hour. My first trip was only 60 kills, but that was with balmung, so I had to brew alot more. I think I used worlds with a population of 600ish, but that resulted in time waiting for rex to spawn, but I still managed good kill rates in my opinion.

Although supply intensive, the hides+bones payed for all the supplies, so the drops were pure profit. I almost always got at least a warrior ring, usually a d axe, so it's over 1m/hr in terms of profit, and it's quite fun if you're in the mood to go. Just keep your LP above 500ish at all times, so that supreme can't combo you, until you get confident with letting it hover around 400. Under that is too risky in my opinion, and no point since you can brew every 15 seconds (if you use a timer, try to start brewing around 4 or 5 seconds before your stats are gonna restore, just so you don't miss the stat restore, can try later if you're confident).

With better equipment, and curses (maybe, I had only 87 prayer before so I just flashed piety, but maybe allowing turmoil all the time for supreme will help), you could easily boost the kills/hour, especially with fuller worlds. A SGS may be better for specing than EE, but I prefered EE because I could use it as soon as I used another overload dose, to offset the LP damage by a bit. With SGS you'd have to be at the supreme stage, or find a nearby spino thingy to spec.

I hope this gives you a bit more knowledge about rex/supreme soloing, and in my opinion its the most profitable at DKs, since no seers ring or mudstaff drop from normal hybriding, instead having a berserker ring and warrior ring, both worth more.

C_ac_t_u_a_r.png

Prime drops talismans which are worth quite a lot too...

When I do DKS by myself, I kill rex/prime. First you go down and kill supreme, then kill rex. Then I kill prime til rex spawns, kill rex, then finish off prime. You telegrab the prime drops so supreme won't get on you. I find this to be beneficial because its so easy and you're always doing something. I guess this is supply intensive because you can't soul split off rex, but its much faster kills.

Aha, now we are talking! Thanks a lot guys, can't wait to try out the alternative hybriddings. Especially the Supreme + Rex interestests me. It is true though that Prime drops a [cabbage]load of talismans. I'm around 80 min in and I have over 100 water tallies, 60 earth tallies and 40 air tallies. However, 56 kills an hour sounds very tempting. Not sure what I'm averaging right now. I'll check when I'm back in the bank and can count my bones and hides.

Aha, now we are talking! Thanks a lot guys, can't wait to try out the alternative hybriddings. Especially the Supreme + Rex interestests me. It is true though that Prime drops a [cabbage]load of talismans. I'm around 80 min in and I have over 100 water tallies, 60 earth tallies and 40 air tallies. However, 56 kills an hour sounds very tempting. Not sure what I'm averaging right now. I'll check when I'm back in the bank and can count my bones and hides.

Just tried hybridding Rex and Supreme and it worked like a charm! I used BCP and DFS like you suggested, and copied about everytyhing else. I also went with curses in stead of normal prayer. All in all, everything worked great. I like the fact that I don't need to worry about Prime at all. And supreme is a real [kitty] with nearly maxed ranged def + turmoil and overload. I tried a population of 1.3k and still managed to kill Supreme well in time (at least while overload, at the end I was out of overloads and didn't manage anymore + my task was over). I ended up with 10 brews left though.

Just out of interest, did you record how many kills you got per hour in that trip? I was wondering if saving up for DFS and bandos chestplate would be worth it, as even though I did fine personally with my welfare-ish gear, if it's possible to break 70 kills/hour or something I'd really look into that, as it'd be even more fun and profitable.

Since you had 10 brews left over, it'd be interesting to look into the perfect set up with maxed range defense gear, perhaps less brews, 1 more overload and more super prayer pots?

C_ac_t_u_a_r.png

Just out of interest, did you record how many kills you got per hour in that trip? I was wondering if saving up for DFS and bandos chestplate would be worth it, as even though I did fine personally with my welfare-ish gear, if it's possible to break 70 kills/hour or something I'd really look into that, as it'd be even more fun and profitable.

Since you had 10 brews left over, it'd be interesting to look into the perfect set up with maxed range defense gear, perhaps less brews, 1 more overload and more super prayer pots?

I cant't really tell my kill rate, since I had quite a few interruptions. First I had some trouble finding a world. I think I ended up in a 800 pop. world and did some kills. Then I had to leave because I had diner. When I got back I tried getting a more populated world and that took some tries too (I also had some battles against a Mage for Rex which ended up with me hopping worlds). I ended up in a 1350 one, but at some point there was a guy trying to crash me. He was killing Sup while I was still killing Rex etc. In the end he gave up though.

Quite fun fact here: I was killing Rex and I saw him finishing off Prime and getting over to Supreme. So as soon as I finished my Rex I hurried over to Supreme (not checkign Rex's drop) to get the kill. I did get it (hard to battle my high str outfit, overload, turmoil and 15% task bonus). I pick up Supreme's drops, hurry over to Rex's lure spot to find a Dragon Hatchet over there :-).

I also stayed longer than my task and even a few kills after my overloads ran out. All this together resulted in me being back in my house with 10 min left on my second yak and 76 kills.

I do remember vaguely that I had the task complete message after about 40 minutes (looking at my overloads, so not counting the time to get there), and I had 41 to kill left, so around 60 an hour for the first, uninterrupted part seems about right. That was in an unpopulated world though.

So yeah, it might be possible to go over 65/h or even 70 at a 1300+ world, but remember there is more competition in those world with solo magers who want fast Rex spawns. Also, remember I ended up with too much brews not only because I was brewing less, but also because I was praying more (using turmoil all the time on Sup). An interesting fact is that Prime dies from time to time because of my deflect mage, but I didn't see any drops from him.

On the DFS/BCP part. I'd start with buying the BCP. Not only because it's cheaper, but also because it's just perfect for that setup. There is really no good substitute out there. Max ranged defence, max str bonus and a small prayer bonus. I looked at Verac's brassard, but it doesn't even come close to make up for the lost ranged defence and str bonus.

For the DFS, I was actually thinking about maybe bringing an Arcane in stead. It was 20 ranged bonus less, but I end up with 20 more magic attack and a +3 prayer bonus. I opted for the dfs in the end because a +7 str is nice, and I figured Rex would die easily enough anyway.

All this is nice and such, but actually I seemed to profit more from hybridding Supreme and Prime, because of the regular talisman drops of Prime. If I had gotten a zerker, things would have changed though, so I'm not sure. I guess Prime is more reliable if you need consistent money fast (I'm talking about 2m+ in tallies per trip), but Rex should be more profit in the long run perhaps.

One last thing: I sometimes forgot to put on guthix mage cape when maging, but could still cast my spells. I thought it was required to cast it, or is it just for the mage bonus?

Have you tried rex/prime hybriding?

With always killing rex if he's alive and killing prime when rex is spawning?

Is it as fast as rex/supreme?

Because as you said prime drops tallies that are extremely expensive and regular, so you don't need a lot of luck.

And its a lot easier, you don't have to deal with an attack you are unprotected against.

One last thing: I sometimes forgot to put on guthix mage cape when maging, but could still cast my spells. I thought it was required to cast it, or is it just for the mage bonus?

You need to wear the cape to hit 200+ when charged. Without it, you can't hit that high.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Because as you said prime drops tallies that are extremely expensive and regular, so you don't need a lot of luck.

And its a lot easier, you don't have to deal with an attack you are unprotected against.

I haven't trid it, but I would guess it's a bit slower due to range being slower than melee. Also, when you somehow can't kill Supreme in time, and you are still killing Rex, it's easy to quickly finish him off, most of the times (just stand towards the ladder). Not sure if you get Rex on you while ranging prime.

It all sounds pretty good in theory though. You wil also be able to soul split a bit on Rex when Prime is dead, but you should also watch out of course when Prime is respawning. That's what I liked about Supreme Rex combo, you are NEVER worrying about Prime, so Ko's are hard. This way you can feel safe to try higher populated worlds. Rex spawns while killing Supreme? Like I said, mostly no problem.

This is a map I and a few of my teammates have made up on our trips.

Depending on which two you prefer to hybrid it might help you on finding correct spots to stand.

DKs.png

The Yellow area in the picture is a "safe zone". In this area, nothing will attack you while they wander around, not even prime. You can turn pray off if prime is not on you along the wall (Possible to soul split Rex) but you need to be VERY careful. Being that far over you can't see people running inside, which can cause prime to switch to you if he is close enough.

Also just from my personal experience, Spins tend to "camp" and hit players who don't move around much more. If a player is maging and you are hybriding Prime and Supreme you will take much less damage from spins than the mage doing Rex only will.

As per armor on SUP-PRIME Hybrid, I do Karils Top+Bottom now. Since the HP update I've noticed much more damage coming from mage attacks than ranged from the spins. People in training should still use Veracs bottom for rex, but once you are confident you know how to not pull Rex while on sup, go with Karils/Dragonhide. Supremes range attack is alot less than you think, as has trouble hitting through Karils quite often. (Around 1/5 to 1/10 hits).

Another benefit of Karils is if Prime does happen to give you a love tap, its about a 50% chance of him splashing.

I haven't trid it, but I would guess it's a bit slower due to range being slower than melee. Also, when you somehow can't kill Supreme in time, and you are still killing Rex, it's easy to quickly finish him off, most of the times (just stand towards the ladder). Not sure if you get Rex on you while ranging prime.

It all sounds pretty good in theory though. You wil also be able to soul split a bit on Rex when Prime is dead, but you should also watch out of course when Prime is respawning. That's what I liked about Supreme Rex combo, you are NEVER worrying about Prime, so Ko's are hard. This way you can feel safe to try higher populated worlds. Rex spawns while killing Supreme? Like I said, mostly no problem.

It is 100% safe as long as you know what you're doing. The only issue is the cost of ranging and the fact that it is slower. For someone like me who only has 90-90 melees and no overloads though I like it better than rex + sup.

yuki2d.png