Firefox 1.5 released

Hannibal

To put it in the words of the devs:

it's release-day, time for inane and inconsequential banter

and beer

ooo, beer

So, go get it at http://www.getfirefox.com .

(Note that those of you who are running 1.5RC3 need not update - 1.5RC3 is identical to 1.5)

Guest andyizcool

Did you know Mozilla also got hold of http://mozilla.com because they use to be .org if you didn't know and the new FireFox is available there. I was wondering what all this talk was about FireFox 1.5 since I already have it. Like you said FireFox 1.5 RC3 is the same as FireFox 1.5 so I've already had it awhile. :)

andy, all the talk is that they've actually released it now, rather than just having release candidates :P

As for mozilla.com vs .org I don't much like the idea. It's too confusing for end users and they're still using addons.mozilla.org which is an end user website. There are too many areas where user and developer content overlaps.

andy, all the talk is that they've actually released it now, rather than just having release candidates :P

As for mozilla.com vs .org I don't much like the idea. It's too confusing for end users and they're still using addons.mozilla.org which is an end user website. There are too many areas where user and developer content overlaps.

addons.mozilla.com redirects, so that's not really a problem. As for user/developer content... that's hard not to separate in open source development. The problem is that people need a way to give feedback. This has the unfortunate result that sometimes developers get bogged down by dumb user feedback, such as repeated requests to implement feature X while the development team already decided they wouldn't do it (for whatever reason), or simply bothering someone on a bug they're fixing in order to get them to fix other bugs as well. A horrible example of that is this bug (read comment #233), as well as this bug.

Both of those would make you think that it may be better to separate the ignorant users from the developers - the problem is, people will not be happy with that because for some reason they seem to think that 'Open Source' means 'Developers will fix anything I need/want/am annoyed with within a few days, for free'. They'd complain on Mozillazine or elsewhere, only moving the problem.

I can sort of see the point you're trying to make about separating users and developers, but I think that's exactly what they're trying to do by putting Firefox and Thunderbird downloads away from bugzilla.mozilla.org. As far as I can tell they want to put the development on http://www.mozilla.com .

andyizcool, yes I know. That happened on August 20 already, so it's been like that for over 3 months. Yes, I knew they were and still are http://www.mozilla.org . I work on one of the Mozilla projects in my free time (well, some of it). So yeah.

As for Firefox 1.5RC3 vs. Firefox 1.5, had serious problems been found in Firefox 1.5RC3, then they would have released a new RC, hence it would not have been Firefox 1.5.

Got Fx 1.5 last night around 10:30 (-5 hours GMT, eastern time zone, I think.)

It wouldn't let me install extensions or updates though, but I searched through bugzilla and found a similar problem that helped me out. I had software installation turned off in 1.0.7 when I installed 1.5, so I believe this is what caused the bug. If anyone now has 1.5 and can't install extensions, and it keeps telling you to edit options, but you can't change it in the options, I have something that may help.

This is what I did:

Opened up a new tab

Typed about:config in the address bar

Scrolled down and set xpinstall.enabled to true

And then it worked :)

Might not work for you, but give it a try maybe if you're having a similar problem to the one I had.

I have downloaded this new version. It's worth giving it a go. Could a Firefox guru please help me configure the proxy settings for my work computer?

Here is an image of what my Internet Explorer proxy settings are set to. How do I replicate the proxy exclusions in Firefox 1.5?

image15ya.jpg

Thanks.

clcik tools-->options-->General

under "connections", ther is a button labelled "connection settings". Click it. Click manual proxy configuration.

Copy the data into the fields from IE's connection settings.

Resigned From Runescape - Alpha_120 --> Level 69

-ArenaScape-

Join Clan UCORB ~ Rank #5 Clan

Clan members, need something? PM ME!!!

That did not work jargon. When I setup the proxy I can access the internet fine but the specified IP ranges are not excluded from the proxy, preventing me from using internal websites.

Also I just had Firefox crash already :?

I have an image of what I was doing at the time. I had just click Install for the Web Developer plug-in and then these windows popped up.

image18ld.jpg

This isn't a good start!

I copied directly from Internet Explorer to Firefox as suggested.

Yup, and that won't work with the wildcard format you're using. Firefox uses a more flexible, though somewhat more cryptic format. See:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/No_proxy_for

As for the crash, that's unfortunate. :(

I don't send those reports to MS, but I do send them using the mozilla.org tool, because those reports do actually get read and acted upon by the devs (they're publically accessible as well, so if you know some C/C++, you can figure out what's causing the bug you're noticing should you fancy). Run the talkback[Caution: ExecutableFile] utility in the %Program-Files%/Mozilla Firefox/ directory to see what reports you have submitted. You can use the talkback ids on http://talkback-public.mozilla.org

Edit: It's currently flooded, they're working on getting it to munch the queues of reports faster, but for now there's a bit over 15000 reports waiting to be put in... May have to wait a few days.

Did you manage to install the web developer toolbar on a second attempt? It's a very nice extension, I think :)

In your case, you probably want to use the following in the no-proxy field:

147.109.224.0/8 147.109.225.0/8

(you can use a space or a comma to separate addresses)

Hey Hannibal,

The 147.109.224.0/8 147.109.225.0/8 change works fine if I connect to the internal website's using the server's IP address. But I cannot connect using it's DNS name, e.g. http://intranet/site does not. Is there an entry you can place in the exclusions field that will make it work for it's DNS name also?

Yeah, put in the hostname itself? :)

Hey Hannibal,

The 147.109.224.0/8 147.109.225.0/8 change works fine if I connect to the internal website's using the server's IP address. But I cannot connect using it's DNS name, e.g. http://intranet/site does not. Is there an entry you can place in the exclusions field that will make it work for it's DNS name also?

Yeah, put in the hostname itself? :)

Internet Explorer can resolve the DNS to an IP fine why can't Firefox? I wouldn't care doing it but there are quite a number of hostname's in those 2 IP ranges I would want to include. I don't think it's good enough that it doesn't resolve the DNS for you :) You better tell me Firefox can do it because Internet Explorer can ;)

No, it won't resolve DNS names (see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=136789).

You can use a PAC file, however. That's a javascript file that specifies exactly when to use a proxy, and when not (it's the last option in the Connection settings dialog).

I'm not very familiar with PAC files, you should be able to find some documentation on the net, I'll look for some links as well, but I'm not promising anything, I'm rather busy atm.

So, go get it at http://www.getfirefox.com.

(Note that those of you who are running 1.5RC3 need not update - 1.5RC3 is identical to 1.5)

no thanks i prefer IE, means no arsing around with flash player downloads everytime and everything else...
Huh? Yes I think you have to download/install flash again when you install Firefox for the first time, but you had to do that with IE too remember? How is that a big deal? You can update to newer versions of Firefox without having to reinstall flash, and when you download any new versions of flash, it applies to both browsers (I think.)

And what might you mean by "everything else" ?

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but if people can tell us why they're not even willing to try Firefox it helps us to market it to those people (eg. you.)