School gets sued for sexual orientation discrimination

AThousandLies

Guest GhostRanger

That's very true, Mercifull, the question in my mind, however, is whether or not they were truly discriminating against her. I.E. enforcing the rule in only her case simply because of her sexual orientation.

If it's true, they certainly have a case, and I certainly agree that something wrong was done on the school's part.

It's funny though... I doubt anyone would complain or yell "discrimination!" if the rule was enforced on heterosexuals but not homosexuals.

What makes you think that?

Show us a case where its happened because I know of a few schools (mostly campuses) that have been known to "dscriminate" against heterosexuals. Find me a lawsuit please.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's very true, Mercifull, the question in my mind, however, is whether or not they were truly discriminating against her. I.E. enforcing the rule in only her case simply because of her sexual orientation.

If it's true, they certainly have a case, and I certainly agree that something wrong was done on the school's part.

It's funny though... I doubt anyone would complain or yell "discrimination!" if the rule was enforced on heterosexuals but not homosexuals.

I think this constitutes the use of a :roll: smiley.

"It's OK 'cause if the opposite happened nobody would care".. yeah, ok.

Not that I think the opposite would happen, or that anyone would not care.

IRKAa.jpg

I really doubt that the opposite would happen to begin with, and if it did happen, I'm sure somone would care..

IRKAa.jpg

Guest GhostRanger

I really doubt that the opposite would happen to begin with, and if it did happen, I'm sure somone would care..

Actually the opposite does happen. UNC has been noted to be very discriminatory towards males and heterosexuality but no one files "lawsuits."

The problem here though is that a homosexual girl has been disciplined, and because of the "discrimination" is shouted. What if it was a heterosexual couple that was disciplined? That happens all the time. Does anything ever yell discrimination? Of course not.

Actually the opposite does happen. UNC has been noted to be very discriminatory towards males and heterosexuality but no one files "lawsuits."

The problem here though is that a homosexual girl has been disciplined, and because of the "discrimination" is shouted. What if it was a heterosexual couple that was disciplined? That happens all the time. Does anything ever yell discrimination? Of course not.

Yep, I agree. Like I said earlier, people like this girl are the first to flaunt their rights to equality and fair treatment. Yet it seems that even when they are treated in the same manner everyone else is treated they will scream, "racism, sexism, biased treatment," when things don't go their way.

I know the price. I pay it gladly.

Guest GhostRanger
That may be the case, but seriously, you're just stereotyping her. Not all people who choose alternative lifestyles do it just for the sake of novelty, and not all of them jump up to flaunt their differences for the sake of it.

That's quite a stretch to label it as "sterotyping." We are not making up characteristics about her because she's homosexual, we are specifically noting something she has done that other homosexuals do. Sterotyping would be assuming that she would do what she has already done solely because she's homosexual. This is clearly not the case as she has actually done what we're talking about.

wow

thats a load of garbage.

without offending anyone, Are schools realy that tight in the U S A?

i mean im 15 and Auzzie (W00t) and realy theres not alot that doest go on at our school, i mean for instance me and my lady(s) have had a root countless times at school. I mean our school captain had a quicky in the auditorium 10 minutes before a national prefect conference. Its a private school aswell.

Second of all its none of anybodies buisness what that poor sheila gets up to. If she swings that way thats completely up to her I dont think that anybody has a right to discriminate against her as I think 1 day homosexual relationships will be just as common as traditional "normal" relationships.

:twisted: :evil: :twisted:

el patto

Guest GhostRanger
wow

thats a load of garbage.

i mean im 15 and Auzzie (W00t) and realy theres not alot that doest go on at our school, i mean for instance me and my lady(s) have had a root countless times at school. I mean our school captain had a quicky in the auditorium 10 minutes before a national prefect conference. Its a private school aswell.

Second of all its none of anybodies buisness what that poor sheila gets up to. If she swings that way thats completely up to her I dont think that anybody has a right to discriminate against her as I think 1 day homosexual relationships will be just as common as traditional "normal" relationships.

:twisted: :evil: :twisted:

el patto

In America, anything you do at school is the school's business. And anything do no matter where you are is your parents' busniess if you're a minor. Period.

wow

thats a load of garbage.

I doubt that. Even if it's true you can't compare an Australian private school to an American public school.

You can't make a particular aspect of your life public, draw attention to it by repeatedly denying the authority of the ruling body, and then complain when it is no longer as private as you would like. (Well obviously you can since that is what she's doing, but you can't logically expect that).

As of right now, all the available information points to the fact that she was asked to abide by the same rules as everybody else. She got stubborn and repeatedly broke the rules. The parents were then informed of their child's repeated discipline problems. Somewhere in there, the school LEGALLY informed the parents of the specific details (which the girl had already made public). The girl sued with no legal grounds but because of the fact she had enough support from enough people who were willing to overlook the fact that she is at fault, her suit succeeded. It would be stereotypical to lump all minorities into this particular way of acting, but in this specific case she is a minority member who is lobbying for special rights with no legal basis. If someone provides sufficient proof that she was discriminated against I will gladly switch sides and support her cause.

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.

http://www.aclu.org/lgbt/youth/19925prs20050907.html

Nguon, 17, is a straight-A student ranked in the top five percent of her class, and had no prior record of discipline. She is enrolled in a number of advanced placement and honors classes and was a candidate for the National Honor Society until the offer was rescinded because of discipline, including one weeklong suspension, for hugging her girlfriend on campus.

Since when is hugging considered an overt display of affection? I've seen students hug teachers and vice versa - how is that grounds for action that claims a breech of the typical affection rules? Soon enough, handshakes will be a suspendable offense ...

I've been looking at the school's rules.

The school website:

http://www.cnusd.k12.ca.us/santiago-hs/

This is a list of the rulings provided in the student handbook.

http://www.cnusd.k12.ca.us/studentsr-div/psh.menu.html

This is the section on grounds for expulsion and suspension.

http://www.cnusd.k12.ca.us/studentsr-di ... yexpulsion

There is no reference to affectionate displays.

The school's "nondiscrimination policy":

Nondiscrimination Policy

The Board of Education is committed to equal opportunity for all individuals in education and in employment and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, ethnic group classification, ancestry, religion, race, age, handicap or physical or mental disability, or any other unlawful consideration. Questions or concerns regarding these rights or allegation of discrimination under Title VI or Title IX should be directed to Cyndy Erman, Coordinator, Employee/Community Relations, Human Resources Department, 2820 Clark Avenue, Norco, CA 92860. Phone (909) 736-5060. Allegations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 should be directed to Sharon Stanton, Administrative Director, Pupil Services, 2820 Clark Avenue, Norco, CA 92860. Phone (909) 736-5111.

Kinda hypocritical, no?

I rest my case.

Right...so I went and did a little research and found the information for the right school.

You're School:

Corona-Norco Unified School District

Santiago High School 1395 Foothill Pkwy Corona, CA 92881

The Right School:

Garden Grove Unified School District

Santiago High School 12342 Trask Ave, Garden Grove 92843

(There pretty close though, so I guess that's an honest mistake).

Here is the Garden Grove Unified School District website:

http://www.ggusd.k12.ca.us/schools.asp

Under the High School section you go to Santiago, which brings you to this website:

http://www.ggusd.k12.ca.us/shs/index.asp

From there you go to the top to the information section and go down to the policies section and finally to the Displays of Affection, which brings you here:

http://www.ggusd.k12.ca.us/shs/index.asp?myInc=PDA

And finally we have the Santiago High School in the Garden Grove Unified School District's policy on displays of affection:

Students are expected to avoid public displays of affection that are inappropriate for a school campus. Students violating this policy will be asked to stop their behavior and may be assigned to serve detention or Saturday School or be suspended from school.
And as stated somewhere earlier in this topic, the Garden Grove Unified School District allows the high school principle to decide what is and what is not appropriate.

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.

Guest GhostRanger
http://www.aclu.org/lgbt/youth/19925prs20050907.html

Nguon, 17, is a straight-A student ranked in the top five percent of her class, and had no prior record of discipline. She is enrolled in a number of advanced placement and honors classes and was a candidate for the National Honor Society until the offer was rescinded because of discipline, including one weeklong suspension, for hugging her girlfriend on campus.

Since when is hugging considered an overt display of affection? I've seen students hug teachers and vice versa - how is that grounds for action that claims a breech of the typical affection rules? Soon enough, handshakes will be a suspendable offense ...

I've been looking at the school's rules.

The school website:

http://www.cnusd.k12.ca.us/santiago-hs/

This is a list of the rulings provided in the student handbook.

http://www.cnusd.k12.ca.us/studentsr-div/psh.menu.html

This is the section on grounds for expulsion and suspension.

http://www.cnusd.k12.ca.us/studentsr-di ... yexpulsion

There is no reference to affectionate displays.

The school's "nondiscrimination policy":

Nondiscrimination Policy

The Board of Education is committed to equal opportunity for all individuals in education and in employment and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, ethnic group classification, ancestry, religion, race, age, handicap or physical or mental disability, or any other unlawful consideration. Questions or concerns regarding these rights or allegation of discrimination under Title VI or Title IX should be directed to Cyndy Erman, Coordinator, Employee/Community Relations, Human Resources Department, 2820 Clark Avenue, Norco, CA 92860. Phone (909) 736-5060. Allegations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 should be directed to Sharon Stanton, Administrative Director, Pupil Services, 2820 Clark Avenue, Norco, CA 92860. Phone (909) 736-5111.

Kinda hypocritical, no?

I rest my case.

The point you are missing is that she was ASKED REPEATEDLY to stop and didn't. She was not jsut suspended for hugging her girlfriend - ever heard of insubordination?

Also, I would like you realize that your information about her ONLY hugging the girl comes directly from the girl's obviously biased defense. Find us an objectional view next time you want to make that point.

Guest GhostRanger
Idiotic rules are meant to be broken. Public displays of affection... Heh, welcome to the reich.

I don't want to be walking in the hallway and have to look at people displaying their affection everywhere. Its completely inappropriate.

Idiotic rules are meant to be broken. Public displays of affection... Heh, welcome to the reich.

You're at school to learn, feel free to display your affection for another person on your own time. School boards want to enforce this concept, hence the rules.

You're at school to learn, feel free to display your affection for another person on your own time. School boards want to enforce this concept, hence the rules.

Yes and what about free time? are we sappoused to learn on our breaks?

And another thing, people are saying "She was asked reapetidly". It still does not excuse the princeiple from realesing private information of the girls sexual oriantation (sp?). I do agree with the suspension/expulsion, but not the telling of the personal info.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Guest GhostRanger

And another thing, people are saying "She was asked reapetidly". It still does not excuse the princeiple from realesing private information of the girls sexual oriantation (sp?). I do agree with the suspension/expulsion, but not the telling of the personal info.

School is still not the place to be pursuing those activities whether you choose to learn or not.

And I think you're missing the point.

1) If the principal knew the girl's sexual orientation, clearly it was not private.

2) When you are at school, the school as the right to tell your parents everything you do at school. If you choose to make out with your homosexual partner, the school can tell your parents that. Your parents are your legal guardians when you are 17 years old, and therefore, you do not have a right to keep your actions at school private from them.

The constitution does not guarantee ANYONE the right to private sexual orientation. People's private lives are exposed in newspapers all the time and no one gets sued because there are no laws against it. Yet you wish us to believe the PUBLIC display of this girl's sexual oriention is legally PRIVATE from her parents? Your assertion is completely ridiculous.

If one chooses to stay on school property during their lunch break or spare periods they are free to socially interact in a manner that doesn't detract from the learning environment.

Guest GhostRanger

You'd inform students if someone was walking around with any other horrible disease.

Ladies and gentlemen: I give you ignorance.

So ignore his ignorance and respond to the other intelligence rebuttles to YOUR ignorance.

It still does not excuse the princeiple from realesing private information of the girls sexual oriantation

Wow this is pathetic... you really make me want to kill myself.

"Your daughter was caught making out with her boyfriend today during school, this is why she is suspended"

"Your daughter was caught making out with her girlfriend today during school, this is why she is suspended"

OMFG DISCRIMINATIONSSSS ACLU PLZ SAVE US

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

You'd inform students if someone was walking around with any other horrible disease.

Ladies and gentlemen: I give you ignorance.

So ignore his ignorance and respond to the other intelligence rebuttles to YOUR ignorance.

Fine, I'll swallow my pride. Maybe I was wrong here. But I see no evidence indicating whether other people did or did not partake in expression of affection to the same extent that this girl and her girlfriend did. So until otherwise I'm going to sit on the fence for this one.