Modern Warfare

Icuownage

Okay before I begin, this game is kind of a mash-up between, hegemony, dungeoneering, dynasties, the zombie game Doom posted and Dusty's version of hegemony (well the map really.)

You're basically a commander of a force, be it small or big, and you're funded by the governemt you choose to work for, and what matters to the government is your results and your rank, rarely anything else will matter. The fun of the game comes from commanding your troops during the battle, and what you arm your troops with, which support you use, how you gain superiority over your opponents. You almost will always control your troops from your HQ via a private radio link, but it CAN be hacked and it CAN be disrupted, so be ready for that, but that is only if you're dealing with a smart opponent, and you can always sevre their links. Though you have the option of commanding your troops on the field, which is risky cause you could get killed, which is game over, and you lose everything and will have to start over.

Okay some rules.

1. I am the moderator, and what I say goes.

2. If I am wrong about something then you should point out where I am wrong and PM the mistake which I will then look at.

3. Remember, you're not the leader of a nation, you're an organisation which works for whoever they wish.

4. You can easily get whiped out if you get ahead of yourself.

5. The enemy have no mercy.

Map:

[hide]9o4wF.png

PNcXv.png[/hide]

How battle works:

Okay basically you're given a set amount of troops. This is your army and you should probably take care of them as deaths tarnish your record and just make you look bad if you don't care about the safety of your own troops. Most of the time you're given a mission from the nation or even other organisations, who will ask you to do something, help them in a battle, infiltrate an enemy base, assassinate someone. First off, you will arm your troops, you should keep a fine arsenal of weapons for your troops. Then you should choose any support they get, air support, artillery, naval, ground (normally an ally), and to do this, you need to also buy jets, helicopters, boats, and such. Which will also eat at your budget. Your budget is rather small at the beginning and you can't afford too much, but you start out as a small organisation anyway and so they wont ask much.

Okay battles, if you have air/satellite or if you personally are leading the mission you will be given a map, if you do not have any real coverage and your troops are there, you will be given descriptions of your surroundings. Though you can always secure a map of an area if you get intel on the target before hand. Intel is important. Okay as you land into the battle, your troops will take positions, and then this is when the battle begins. You will have to use decisive tactics and to make sure you play your soldiers strengths to win. If you win many things will happen, but the main thing is you will be paid, and your budget increase.

Here is an example of few turns in a battle.

Terrain: Urban

Force:

Allied - 6 Elites

Enemy - 50 Regulars(?)

At the cover on night your sniper team stealthily parachuted near the enemy base, you have armed them with Long Range Artic Warfare Magnums Supressed, their sidearms are USP supressed. They have established a fine radio link and have found a great spot to overlook the enemy base. 3 Total.

You have ordered your snipers to scout out safe drop zones for your infiltrators to make it into the enemy base.

A safe position has been located and you were safely able to drop off three troops near the enemy base undetected. One is armed with an M4 Carbine Supressed, another with a FN SCAR supressed with scope attatchment and the other is armed with a MP5 supressed with grenade launcher attatchment. All are armed with tactical knives and C4 explosives.

^ That is the the arming of your troops and dropping them off, this would have been a base sabotage mission, but getting any further would have just been me woffling on.

Anywho, is anyone interested?

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

dynasties

Honoured :rolleyes:

I don't really get what you have to do, but regardless I am the Chinese Military so that I can tarnish China's human rights record even more.

[Falador tavern]

You're basically a commander of an army, be it in the military, or a merc group. China is part of the Asian Confederation which was formed due to the military mobilisation of Russia.

What you do is create an elite squad of troops, or run a large army, and just do what is commanded by the higher ups, do well enough and you might actually make it to general and run the countries military.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Cool.

We should do a sort of deadliest warrior thing where we make soldiers and decide how powerful they are but they have to be cost efficient.

[Falador tavern]

ill be in it.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Cool.

We should do a sort of deadliest warrior thing where we make soldiers and decide how powerful they are but they have to be cost efficient.

Hlaupari. :thumbsup:

Just one problem, how the hell do you fit a grenade launcher on a teensy little MP5?

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Good point Nex XD.

Uhh well the modern deadliest warriors are just how elite the soliders are, I might give you a sort of advanced start where you get points which you can place into things, like your rank, your budget, your troops so on and so on.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

Double post I know but this is sort of an announcement.

It seems that not many people are actually UP to playing this game, and I think it is to do with the complexity of the game, or really how complex it looks. So I have decided, that I can make a weapon list, it wont be too large and it will make the game easier to understand for anyone who looks at it. If anyone is interested in grapsing the battle system before the game actually begins I will happily run a tutorial battle to allow people to understand the battle system.

It will be a mission of your choice, and it could be a stealth mission or a large battle, or just any scenario you feel you want to learn about.

Sooooo any questions? Anyone interested?

It's a REALLY big shaft.

Doesn't it seem hard to play when we are only given a description of our surroundings (if you're in the headquarters)?

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Well it is easy to get a map, just need a satellite, which you could get on an advanced start. They don't cost a large amount of money and they save you a lot. But if you don't have a satellite you're screwed really.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I like micromanagement though. :(

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Isn't micromanaging controlling your units directly, which is exactly what this game is about? I just read the wikipedia article :S.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

You can't do that without a satellite. :thumbdown:

Ehhhhh?

You can....

You're given descriptions instead of visual.

So like

"Your scout reports that the base is rather small in size, probably housing around 30 troops. The north-side is a small sized barracks, while to the east is the vehicle depot, to the west is the target range, and to the south is the main entrance to the fort. The base is not heavily fortified and it seems that the troops are even slightly slacking off, with the majority to the north in their living quarter. A few small patrols with many holes in security, and no noticeable CCTV. The identifiable anti air."

If you had a satellite, you could probably save some money and change that scouting/sniper team into just a elite sniper team.

You will control your units still, but it'd be a little difficult, also why wouldn't you have a satellite? You'd just be asking to be defeated without one, though UAV can do what a satellite does and it's a lot cheaper, just easier to shoot down, and any area with AA will just have the UAV shot-down and your mission possibly compromised.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I think what stops people playing is that these sorts of games have a habit of turning into 'My uber soliders kill you' 'No my uber soliders kill you'

With everyone armed with 88 millimeter hand cannons...

Or else become rathering boring because the M14(Whatever) is the best gun...So everyone has the best gun, then it is about how many troops you send into a situation.

Crack teams never work well in these kinds of games because people always have their full army at exactly the right place to counteract the crack team. It was the same with Navies in Hegemony...people spread 200 ships across 1,800 miles and expected their full 200 ships to attack any ship along the 1,800 miles...

So it takes a very 'This is what happens' moderator...Which, personally, I don't see you as :oops:

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

There is no "best" squad really. If people used hand cannons, then the enemy would use snipers. If the enemy use snipers, you'd use anti snipers or just simply carpet bomb the area. If you feel you're at risk of an enemy bombing run, you'd set up AA. It's basically knowing the enemy and being one step ahead. Using outrageous tactics will get you known too much, and will earn you enemies, using smart tactics which don't give you away will keep you secret and strong. Also using outrageous tactics is overly expensive and explosives don't pay for themselves.

To avoid me getting annoyed with the game and quitting on it, I will probably set it rather slow paced, with each day either being a month. Budget resets don't matter too much, as if you aren't reckless you wont have to pay for too much, but there will be a lot of fun missions.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I could have a squad of ninjas.

Random taverner: I move my forces in a wheel pattern, swinging into the enemy position

Moderator: While your army is away, you are assassinated at headquarters. Game over.

Yeah, that could happen. But firstly, you'd keep your HQ in a secret location, secondly, you'd have security, well I hope you would. As I stated before it is about being ahead of your opponent.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

Edit: See Retech's post...

Couldn't you just use AA guns and Snipers...Since Anti-Snipers are just Snipers...

Or just have mines and AA guns?

Or use mines with snipers and AA guns?

But even then you could just use missiles or rockets....I mean realistically could you build cheap rockets and launch thousands of them as the Nazis did towards the end of WW2, and destroy the enemy that way...and there is no defence against that.

Its kinda like the end of Sere's Hegemony, the technology exists to annihilate the enemy, if someone starts winning then people degenerate to overpowered weapons.

I guess you could use missiles if you wanted, it'd be expensive. Also using missiles on the enemy normally means a missile attack from the enemy, and the country you work for wont permit you to use the missiles, as they don't want missiles fired upon them. Though they wont disagree if it was a last resort.

To be honest you're all just thinking of wild game breaking suggestions... Every game has its own flaws. I mean in Dungeoneering, you could just train by yourself and become absurdly powerful, hegemony, if you just turtle for a while as everyone fights and then wait when everyone is in the middle of fighting to attack, you will probably win, but that doesn't stop people from using it.

I mean right now in Dusty's hegemony, France is in the middle of a revolution, I could attack Doom, and probably catch both sides off guard, but I wont cause it makes the game boring if someone uses game breaking tactics.

So I fail to see why stating all the obvious ways to win matters :/.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

Rockets, not missiles. Rockets are fairly cheap, since you are basically building a very small engine and a frame...Almost like a model aircraft.

In Dungeoneering you could do that, but it would(at least when I was running it) take weeks to puring.

Hegemony is Hegemony...People play it because each time is different, so you can think up new ways to break the game.

This game isn't gonna have new and exciting game breaking techs...or a plot to work too...

I am just trying to guess why people don't want to play the game...

Well I didn't want to write up backstory and everything already if people weren't interested, if I got more volunteers I'd write up a backstory to the world and the scenario the world is in.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

That's why people have a habit of getting into training-related accidents. Sometimes this is what I do to nerf training and get people into Dungeons.

Retech thinks: Hmmm, that's the third boring thing he's done in a row. The dice says he succeeds, but perhaps something could happen that might change that...

Retech does random thing that forces them into a dangerous storyline

^ Hate that. My characters always end up having the protagonist/Night Angel syndrome. Get forced into quests and gooddoing when I'm trying to simply have fun. <_<

Remember the time I tried making a bar? Then Ross decided he was bored, and a golem went on a rampage and my bar blows up.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Well that would certainly be okay, but I will not roll a hundred times on whether you hit an inanimate object with a fireball. :P