Two Dungeoneering based questions

Wingless

Ahoy!

Well I've got two questions that I'm sure you've seen like 1000 times already... but:

At 84 Dungeoneering, I can afford a Chaotic Weapon. I am not a PvPer and never intend to be one and will probably only use a Chaotic Weapon isntead of a whip on high level slayer tasks and boss hunts (although I only go GWD for TET Events... so I really don't do any Boss Hunting >_>). So with that in mind, Chaotic Rapier or Longsword - or is it not worth it for only Slayer tasks? Should I use my points otherwise?

And my second question - Tyrannoleather Body or Shadow Silk Hood? I'm a ranger, keep in mind.

Thank you in advance! ^_^

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

I would go with the hood. Its simply so versatile and useful. If nothing it will save you a lot of food simply running around opening doors.

As for CR vs CLS, I would say CR without a doubt. In my eyes this is simply parallel to Scim vs Long. For slayer, Rapier is simply better because you do more damage with it. When comparing weapons of similar stats, speed in Runescape is almost completely the defining factor. The speed of Rapier easily puts it ahead CLS in terms of DPS. The reason many high levels seem to like CLS is because it is a mix between a hard hitting weapon like a Godsword, but slightly faster. Really, however, its uses are really limited when it comes to outperforming a CR. The only time this can happen is on monsters with low health, low enough for a maxed out player is maximum offensive bonuses to consistently be able to kill in two hits.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

I recommend getting a promethium/gorg 2h, even with 99 range compared to 80 melees, meleeing would be better.

This.

Range is annoyingly impractical in dungeoneering. Aside from being underpowered as far as I can tell, you have to retrieve your own arrows from the ground. Trying to range will just slow you down. Range has certain merits against certain bosses, but for that just fletch a longbow on the fly.

Also, hood is probably overpowered, especially while rushing.

I personally got a rapier yesterday. I am enjoying it very much in both training and safe pvp. Longsword or maul would be more impressive/devastating hits, but also far more limited in their useful scope. I've beaten all the longsword users who've flamed me so far, for a small sample, both in safe pvp (clan wars) and monster hunting (crashing kbd).

Disclaimer: The above is probably inaccurate.

the_zephyrus.png

Rapier: Slay, TD's, DK's, all dragons, pvp, (possibly) Bandos

Maul: TD's, Sara, Bandos, pvp, WF's

CLS: TD's (best), Bandos

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Chaotic rapier is probably the best for general activities. Like Pantim said, speed is the primary "stat" which determines the best weapon in a particular class.

Also, I heard that the Hexhunter Bow is extremely powerful against magic-based creatures (and bosses!), but you need to kill a soulgazer for it (99 slayer needed).

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I recommend getting a promethium/gorg 2h, even with 99 range compared to 80 melees, meleeing would be better.

This.

Range is annoyingly impractical in dungeoneering. Aside from being underpowered as far as I can tell, you have to retrieve your own arrows from the ground. Trying to range will just slow you down. Range has certain merits against certain bosses, but for that just fletch a longbow on the fly.

What do you guys say about 99 range compared to 70 melees? Would melee be faster for me?

I'd switch over to melee because arrows are so underpowered....