Range Tanks

HexiledRazz

I've been playing around with the thought of a range tank recently. And i have a few questions about them.

First off, how do they gain their defense levels? As far as i know, a good range tank has high range, and defense. And low, if any, melee combat stats. Most likely just get enough for quests. But still low enough so that their combat is range based. So does this mean they train with long range? Or do they use Soul wars? Wouldn't that make them miss out on valuable Constitution XP?

How's their prayer? Is it more effective to go for smite or just stay at 44 for eagle eye?

They're able to access stuff like Barrows gloves, vengeance and all that good stuff right?

As far as i can tell, it's a good idea to keep your melee stats as low as possible when your a range tank now. Because when you're maxed and fighting in PvP, there's gonna be a lot of maxed zerkers out there with turmoil. And you don't want to give them much of a percentage bonus.

So, if i do end up training my defense though melee. What would be a good set of levels to do so with? I was thinking around 60-60. With a range level of 85, that'll still leave my combat range based. And it would give me access to the dragon scimitar for a bit faster training. Plus there wouldn't be much for turmoilers to take from if i ever to get to the point of PvP in the 100s.

Thanks in advance for your answers ^.^

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

You could train on Long-Ranged for defense.

Or just train it melee-style VERY slowly.

defence=long range. No point getting 40+ def via iron scimitar. Soul wars is a viable method for doing both, getting some range/hp xp from attacking players and a ton of xp from zeal.

defence=long range. No point getting 40+ def via iron scimitar. Soul wars is a viable method for doing both, getting some range/hp xp from attacking players and a ton of xp from zeal.

Well, you would use a red topaz machete, but SW would be the best option.

PC might be viable as well, if SW isn't your thing, and you get a good clan and are 100+ combat. You can use summoning to raise your combat, seeing that it doesn't impact you in PvP.

I've been playing around with the thought of a range tank recently. And i have a few questions about them.

First off, how do they gain their defense levels? As far as i know, a good range tank has high range, and defense. And low, if any, melee combat stats. Most likely just get enough for quests. But still low enough so that their combat is range based. So does this mean they train with long range? Or do they use Soul wars? Wouldn't that make them miss out on valuable Constitution XP?

How's their prayer? Is it more effective to go for smite or just stay at 44 for eagle eye?

They're able to access stuff like Barrows gloves, vengeance and all that good stuff right?

As far as i can tell, it's a good idea to keep your melee stats as low as possible when your a range tank now. Because when you're maxed and fighting in PvP, there's gonna be a lot of maxed zerkers out there with turmoil. And you don't want to give them much of a percentage bonus.

So, if i do end up training my defense though melee. What would be a good set of levels to do so with? I was thinking around 60-60. With a range level of 85, that'll still leave my combat range based. And it would give me access to the dragon scimitar for a bit faster training. Plus there wouldn't be much for turmoilers to take from if i ever to get to the point of PvP in the 100s.

before you read my post please note i am a level 96 range 80 defense range tank.

1. if you are lazy you can use long range. for most of mine i used melee with slayer. it works fine then gets a bit tedious into the high 70's of defense. 80 defense was more than worth it.

2. i was at 46 for a long while before getting 52 and then 60 since i'm finding more uses for it. its worth noting that there is a new prayer coming out for presumably 78 prayer that will be great for tanks. also if you plan to get maxed relatively quickly and want to be a succesful hybrid, soul split is yearning for you.

3. yes. range tanks have access to about 99.9% of the game, depending on melee stats you might just miss out on a few 70 str requirements or new quests. since i'm slaying to 99 range i've decided to take a detour to get enhanced excalibur. remember at low levels having high quest points and good quest/minigame perks will be great, especially for pvp. void = win. excalibur = win. BSS = extreme win. zaniks = win.

4. Didn't even think of that. i suppose your right. never take melees above 70-70 I'm at 70-58 right now and have no plans to raise either of them. maxed i believe melee stats can add up to 149 or 154 without becoming melee based.

5. tbh go with 70-50 over 60-60 if you are doing slayer with atk/str pots. as already stated thats what i did. i remember with about 53 str i would hit 22's (now 220's) on slayer tasks and people were amazed my str was so low. just make sure you get a good str bonus going.

good luck

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

before you read my post please note i am a level 96 range 80 defense range tank.

1. if you are lazy you can use long range. for most of mine i used melee with slayer. it works fine then gets a bit tedious into the high 70's of defense. 80 defense was more than worth it.

2. i was at 46 for a long while before getting 52 and then 60 since i'm finding more uses for it. its worth noting that there is a new prayer coming out for presumably 78 prayer that will be great for tanks. also if you plan to get maxed relatively quickly and want to be a succesful hybrid, soul split is yearning for you.

3. yes. range tanks have access to about 99.9% of the game, depending on melee stats you might just miss out on a few 70 str requirements or new quests. since i'm slaying to 99 range i've decided to take a detour to get enhanced excalibur. remember at low levels having high quest points and good quest/minigame perks will be great, especially for pvp. void = win. excalibur = win. BSS = extreme win. zaniks = win.

4. Didn't even think of that. i suppose your right. never take melees above 70-70 I'm at 70-58 right now and have no plans to raise either of them. maxed i believe melee stats can add up to 149 or 154 without becoming melee based.

5. tbh go with 70-50 over 60-60 if you are doing slayer with atk/str pots. as already stated thats what i did. i remember with about 53 str i would hit 22's (now 220's) on slayer tasks and people were amazed my str was so low. just make sure you get a good str bonus going.

good luck

Thanks, that's answered just about every one of my questions.

I think that's everything i need answered. Thanks guys! ^.^

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

One more thing if you're taking this thing all the way/long term

If you get 99 range/def, as long as your combined attack and strength levels are I think 149 or less, you'll be range based. So that's the max att/str you can have without gaining combat levels.

yes.png

Well, the problem isn't the levels of melee stats, but the ability of the enemies to increased stats based on his (Ancient Curses - Prayer) with Turmoil, so anyway, Long Range is the way to go, slower but at least you don't have to use melee. Also, as an alternative, you could get like 60 def and 80 range, then go Soul Wars to increase defence. An other great thing would be, as a range tank that you can slay with range (much easier now, since you can get Full Slayer Helm);

If you do want to get some stats, I'd recommend getting about 40 attack <-- (So you can use a decent weapon when getting 70 str) and 70 strength <-- (So you can solo bandos boss for money)

EDIT: 42 attack (for void)

Careful_Maim.png

Hi there. I'm also a range tank as you can see in my sig. Let me know if you have anymore questions about range tanking since your questions have been answered already. I'm just gonna expand a lil bit more on your questions.

As of now, I have yet to fight a turmoil zerker. It's probably because I'm really laggy in +1 worlds so I stick to non +1. But I got 70 att and str before I decided I wanted to turn into a range tank. It's good for training your defence and for slayer. Even though you want to keep your str as low as possible against turmoil, I'm sure with the right tanking gear you still should be able to dominate turmoil zerkers. I've never PC'ed or SW'ed any of my stats, they all came from training.

Again with prayer, I got 49 before deciding I wanted to PK. IMO, anything between 44-52 is good enough. I'm glad I stayed with 49 instead of going for 52 because those 3 pray lvls I didn't get saved me from gaining an extra combat lvl twice. As of now, my combat lvl is 96.85, so if I gain a lvl in ANYTHING, I'd be 97. 1 combat lvl doesn't matter much, but at the same time it leads to easier fights. I'd rather fight like lvl 96.15's than 96.85's. That rigour prayer is coming out soon if you want to get it. I'm leaning towards getting it myself; first I'm going to wait and see what the general consensus is before buying it. You also need to spend a lot of time in dung.

Range tanks can do everything that is available except for the Blood Runs Deep quest, which requires 75 att and str. Getting 75 att and str will make you melee based. Of course, you can still get it and be a successful range tank. Don't listen to people if they say you're a fail range tank; 1 combat lvl shouldn't make a differnce at all in your ability to win fights. Being lvl 104 instead of 103 will not hinder your ability to range tank. If you want access to everything, don't be afraid to get 75 att and str and wear that quest cape :thumbup:

Sure there are turmoil zerkers, but remember they need to spend enough money for 95 pray. Not a lot of people have the time and resources to do that. And if you DO manage to find someone, they'll have around 70 att against your 99 def. Sure they can hit harder, but it's going to be difficult to hit. A maxed zerker with 99 att and str might do better than a turmoil zerker with 73 att and 99 str.

Good luck and I hope to see you in the battlefield. :twisted:

EDIT: To stay range based, never take your att and str over a comined total of 149. 74 74 or 78 70 or 70 78 or any combination is ok.

I consider myself almost a maxed range tank.

First I got 70 att and str, making myself melee based, then proceeded to get 99 mage via fire wave on defensive casting and 99 range via chinning.

After this, I began the long road slaying using melee with a whip to train defence.

Just make sure you constantly use pure super sets whenever training melee as with low att and str it will take longer.

I am almost 99 hp/constitution as well which will make me 106 combat (f2p/pvp).

I trained defence during slayer as it's not much more/less exp/hr than camping at somewhere but far less money.

Now I almost have maxed range/mage/def/hp I will level prayer to 92 making me only 109 combat and able to gain 11 att or str levels before leveling, I presume i'd then get 75 att for SoL.

Training defence with lower melee stats is a pain, however, it's not too bad, and deffo worth it.

Any questions, feel free to add me ingame and i'll try to help.

RSN: Print credit

JJ_G.gif