Riku's games that everybody should play

Riku3220

Here is a short list of games that Ive thoroughly enjoyed during my video game playing life. Keep in mind that these are not in any necessary order and these are games that seem to stand out to me.

Kingdom Hearts

Kingdom_Hearts.jpg

You all knew this one was going to appear since its quite literally my favorite game series. It takes a crossover between Disney and Final Fantasy, a crossover that seems very odd, and turns it into a great story with awesome characters. Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days, and Birth by Sleep were all well made games for being the handheld versions of a console game and they each expanded on and blended the entire story to make sense. In each game there is so much to do after youve finished the main story such as optional bosses, tournaments in the Olympus Coliseum/Underworld, multiplayer in the handhelds, and gummi ship customization and flying.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

200px-Pokemon-mystery-dungeon-explorers-of-time.jpg

I believe that this is the best spinoff of the main Pokemon games by far. Instead of the normal catch em all and beat the 8 gym leaders and Elite Four in series of turn by turn battles you get to take control of the actual Pokemon themselves and go on an adventure. These games, I think, have breathed life into each individual Pokemon by giving each one a unique personality and allowing those that were bad in the main games to be a death machine in this series. If youve ever wanted to use the Pokemon themselves then this game is the game for you.

Bioshock

256px-Bioshockcoverfinalcropped.jpg

Whats more fun than beating drug addicts to death with a wrench? Beating them to death after sending a swarm of bees from your hands then lighting them on fire while taking pictures of course. What made this series fun for me was that you can go into battle using whatever you wanted and be revived in the nearest Vita-chamber with half life and EVE. Ive gone through using only the wrench/drill and the necessary plasmids to proceed and it was tons of fun without needing to go all the way back to some random checkpoint with everything reset. Anyways this game is takes place in what used to be a perfect underwater city free from the control and tyranny of government. Its got an amazing story and I honestly recommend this game to anyone.

Mass Effect

256px-Mass_Effect_poster.jpg

Mass Effect 1 started off the series by allowing us to create your own hero with their background and accomplishments. There were 3 skills that your character could specialize based on the 6 classes: Soldier, Engineer, Adept, Infiltrator, Vanguard, and Sentinel. Each class had their own advantages and disadvantages that made the game a different experience with each one. Mass Effect 2 let us use those same characters in an even more grand story and even let you change the classes if you wanted. There is so much to learn about the Mass Effect world and the voice acting makes you want to hear what the people have to say.

Katamari Damacy

250px-KatamariDamacybox.jpg

The King has erased the entire galaxy (except for Earth) and now you have to fix it because The King is too lazy to do it himself. How are you going to fix the galaxy? By rolling every object and living thing on Earth into a large ball and making it grow then throwing it into space to become a planet or constellation. The objective of the series is so simple that it makes it fun. Its not always just Make as big of a ball as you can either, theres extra challenges that include trying to get an exact size, collecting certain types of objects, and finding the largest bear or cow you can find.

Luigis Mansion

Lmbox.jpg

This is a game highlighting the adventures of an underappreciated character in a large series. Something about sucking ghosts into a vacuum cleaner just appealed to me for some reason, maybe because its the closest weve ever gotten to a good Ghostbusters game. None of it was really challenging except for the giant Boo battle and the last fight with Bowser and King Boo and it was rather short but the graphics were amazing for a Gamecube game in 2001. I personally think that this is the direction the Mario games should start to take. Less saving Princesses and less random sports and more doing anything different.

Paper Mario

Papermario.jpg

I know I just said that Mario games should stop going towards the Mario saves Princess Peach route but this is a great RPG that was presented in an interesting way. This series is very light-toned compared to other RPGs like Final Fantasy but I think thats what makes it good. The first 2 games in the series used the turn-by-turn battle system which was simple but great. After each main chapter was finished you got to do a small stealth mission as Princess Peach which added a nice change of pace and revealed what would happen next in the story. In Super Paper Mario the turn-by-turn battles were taken out and replaced by the usual jumping on enemies. You play as Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser and you can switch in between them at will. Each had a special ability and passive abilities. Mario could flip between 2D and 3D, although didnt really do much because there was almost nothing to do in the 3D view except get past a couple of obstacles. Luigi can super jump, Peach can float, and Bowser can breathe fire All-in-all, a great series that Ive had lots of fun with.

Gauntlet

220px-Gauntlet_screenshot.png

Nothing was more fun to me than playing this game on one of my friends Playstation with one of those 4 player attachment things. Its kind of like a primitive Left 4 Dead with its hordes of enemies and needing teamwork to get through. There were benefits for being a certain character the warrior was strongest in normal attacks, the mage was strongest in magic, the Valkyrie had the highest defense and the elf was the fastest. The narrator was also one of the best parts of the game. Hearing Warrior is about to die or Wizard needs food BADLY really made the game much more intense. Like Left 4 Dead, its really a game that needs other people to get the full enjoyment. There are sequels made for the current consoles and you can probably find the arcade version on various Atari Collections.

God of War

252px-Gowbox.jpg

This is an amazing series that details the rise of a Greek god and the fall of Olympus. A ton of mythological Greek stories made an appearance in this series if youre interested in that. Pandoras Box, the Golden Fleece, Medusa, Hercules, Icarus, and so many more make an appearance. Prometheus is even seen being having his liver eaten daily by an eagle. Theres also more blood than you know what to do with. Why do human-sized demons bleed an elephants worth of blood? I dont know but it only makes Kratos look more badass than he already is. The fights are tough and the game takes quite a bit of patience, especially if you play it on God or Titan modes.

Most of you have already played these games, I'm sure. But if for some reason you haven't you should definitely give them a try.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

if you haven't played God of War, Kingdom Hearts, or Bioshock, you haven't lived yet.

I haven't played Bioshock and I don't intend to. I'm also not much of a shooter person.

Change your mind right now and go get it. :mrgreen:

I think I've played most of these games, and the ones I've played in full are damn good. :thumbup:

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

God of War is a solid game. Maybe not amazing, but still good. I love the atmosphere. Bioshock, I haven't actually got around to playing yet. And Kingdom Hearts bored me...

Try KH2, it's a bit faster paced. I actually played KH2 before KH1, if I had played KH1 first I probably wouldn't have stuck with the series.

Of course most people will tell you KH1 is better, but I liked KH2 more. In KH1 they put too much emphasis on a weak story. While in KH2 when you're in other world it's rather easy to forget the over-arcing story and just focus on the level, and have fun with that.

TL;DR: I really though KH2's decision to not focus on storytelling as much to be a better one.

I like Kingdom Hearts 2 a lot more, though I don't consider either amazing. Then again, I am more of an American RPG guy so my opinion is kind of biased. Tales of Symphonia is the only JRPG I've ever finished.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Lots of good games mentioned. Bioshock, God of War, Kingdom Hearts. :thumbup:

Try KH2, it's a bit faster paced. I actually played KH2 before KH1, if I had played KH1 first I probably wouldn't have stuck with the series.

Of course most people will tell you KH1 is better, but I liked KH2 more. In KH1 they put too much emphasis on a weak story. While in KH2 when you're in other world it's rather easy to forget the over-arcing story and just focus on the level, and have fun with that.

TL;DR: I really though KH2's decision to not focus on storytelling as much to be a better one.

KH1 put more emphasis on the story than KH2? I found the mind-numbingly boring beginning to be even worse than that of FF9. Giving the players absolutely no real game play until a couple hours in isn't a very good way to start a game off in my opinion. It amazes me how Square can manage to screw up so much and still have me liking their games so much.

I completely agree with Mass Effect (my favorite game that I've played so far), in the second one I purposely talked to every single person I could just because it was actually believable. Also on my Luigi's Mansion save from 2001 (which I still have) I'm at the King Boo fight (after you replay it to get more mooniez) and I've been there since 2002, but I just don't feel like finishing it lol. Paper Mario was also in my top few Mario games, just because it was so fun.

[hide=99s]47,297th to 99 Attack, 12/10/08
47,898th to 99 Hitpoints, 3/29/09
78,286th to 99 Strength, 4/5/09
36,125th to 99 Range, 6/7/09, 12:30 in the morning.
70,280th to 99 Defence, 4/16/10
67,781st to 99 Magic, 8/13/10
Somethingth to 99 Slayer on some day during the Summer (I forgot to write it down)
169,099th to 99 Cooking , 4/9/11
Idk what to 99 fm at some point
Idk what to 99 prayer on 1/28/2012

?? 99 thieving 12/30/2015

?? 99 herblore 1/2/2016, ?? 99 dungeoneering 9/5/2016[/hide]

s2k10n.png

Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me. An infinitesimal change. And that infinitesimal change ripples outward-ever smaller but everlasting. I will get forgotten, but the stories will last. And so we all matter-maybe less than a lot, but always more than none.

-John Green (An Abundance of Katherines)

Lots of good games mentioned. Bioshock, God of War, Kingdom Hearts. :thumbup:

KH1 put more emphasis on the story than KH2? I found the mind-numbingly boring beginning to be even worse than that of FF9. Giving the players absolutely no real game play until a couple hours in isn't a very good way to start a game off in my opinion. It amazes me how Square can manage to screw up so much and still have me liking their games so much.

I said more emphasis, I didn't say it was necessarily a good story. They shoved the story down your throat everywhere, in every world.

I said more emphasis, I didn't say it was necessarily a good story.

Yes, I know. I was talking about the emphasis/insistence of the story - not the quality of the story/plot. I thought KH2 just had an overload of story compared to KH1 (Namely the tedious beginning where you don't even get access to real game play until like 3-4 hours in.) and find it surprising that your opinion is the polar opposite of mine.

As for the stories/plots of both games, I didn't find either of them interesting.