Is RuneScape filling a void?

Dylanasmith

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, we see some newb user post on these forums with some pointless topic that will get lots of disagreement and flamebait. I would like to say right now that I strongly disagree with the OP and would like to refute those points.

Ahhh RuneScape. It holds a place in mine and so many others' hearts. It truly is a masterpiece of gaming, and could well be considered the greatest, most addictive game every created. Being addictive doesn't automatically make it the greatest game ever, yet addictive it is. The game could be said to be equivalent to an illicit drug. If you play the game just once, you will most likely come back for another dose—like the slogan goes of a popular potato chip brand. What makes this game so addictive and potentially harmful to health? I will attempt an answer.

All of what you have said above is totally subjective. Of course, when I myself first started playing, I had this "addiction" in mind - this is inevitable. However, it is rare for somebody to have their "addiction" remain. I am pretty sure most people on the boards play Runescape for fun, not as a NEED like some illicit drug. The game can only be potentially harmful to your health if that's what you choose to do. If you're going to no-life Runescape, of course it's going to be harmful to your health. I'm pretty sure the average RSer won't be addicted this far and will be able to manage their everyday events.

The first time I played this game was at a friend's house 6 years ago, coming onto it after my friend and I discussed possible things to do. He started logging into RuneScape and I became intrigued by the little man running around cutting logs and lighting fires on Tutorial Island. It looked amazing. Between then and now I've been playing the game with long intermissions, usually playing for 1-2 months at a time before the thought comes into my head, “what is this doing for me?”, then I quit. The answer is nothing. You will get naught out of this game that will advance your life in any way. It may very well feel as if you're accomplishing something worthwhile, but it is merely an illusion, or rather a delusion. The feeling of meeting goals in a video game holds no candle to the sensation of meeting goals in life. The simple fact is that you're wasting your life away as I was mine. Just take a minute to think over what makes you play. The reasons could be that you have insecurity issues, social anxiety, or depression. The feeling you get when you achieve something amazing (a hoax I might add) could be making up for your lack of accomplishments in real life. I beg you not to let this game fulfill deep-seated desires that even you're not aware of.

May I please tell you how horribly wrong you are? Not everyone who plays has those "reasons" that you stated. I myself am quite popular among my friends, get good grades, can make sports teams, AND am strong-willed, and I play Runescape. Adding to my strong-willingness and my efficiency/effective fetish, I like accomplishing goals in Runescape. In fact, I like being a completionist in console games, because it's fun. How am I "wasting my life away" when during those moments, I have nothing better to do? Gaming is merely a method of entertainment for me, not because I have problems in real life. Please, don't assume that just because we all play Runescape we are all nerds who live in their bottom of their parent's house nolifing.

I have been on hiatus from RuneScape for nearly two months and still feel some need for it in my life, but I have not succumbed to the nagging of my own brain chemistry. It can be tough to overcome, but I assure you that it is possible. I've recently begun reading books, and this has somewhat filled the void that RuneScape once filled. Books are comparable to skills in RuneScape very much so. When beginning a book you set a goal to finish it. By the end of reading it, you will feel very accomplished and fulfilled, and guess what? You've actually done something worthwhile in life. Enriching your knowledge is a much greater pastime than sitting at a computer clicking on pixels. Take pause while you're playing to think this quick, expedient phrase: what am I doing?

ONCE AGAIN you show your lack of logic skills in this paragraph. If you need to quit just because you feel addicted, something is wrong. It's called time management bro. Also, what makes you think reading a book has more usefulness over "sitting at a computer clicking on pixels"? I can tell you ways how Runescape has benefited me, prime examples being typing speed, English skills, and real life knowledge and logic (you see what I did there?). Also, you can apply the Runescape argument to reading books as well - would you play Runescape or look at pieces of paper with words printed on them? The fiction section is a very good example of this - they do not give you "knowledge" in any way, yet people still read them. Why? Cuz it's ENTERTAINMENT. With entertainment, you're doing something cuz you're bored - NOT because it has any impact on real life in any way!

OP, I would like you to rethink your arguments and realize how wrong and stereotypical you are. :angry:

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I think 90% of all Americans have eating disorders. When you think about it, I want to eat food right now, so I must be right.

^ That's essentially the fragile logic used by the OP here.

You've not even bothered to check what addiction actually means. If addiction to gaming actually exists, it has psychological origins. Addiction to drugs is more likely to be physiological, including characteristic symptoms of dependence (withdrawal symptoms) and tolerance (need to consume increased amounts over time for same original effect).

Therefore, even if we assume you're right about RuneScape's potential for causing addiction, it's nothing like the addiction seen in illicit drug/alcohol use.

You've not even bothered to check what addiction actually means. If addiction to gaming actually exists, it has psychological origins. Addiction to drugs is more likely to be physiological, including characteristic symptoms of dependence (withdrawal symptoms) and tolerance (need to consume increased amounts over time for same original effect).

Therefore, even if we assume you're right about RuneScape's potential for causing addiction, it's nothing like the addiction seen in illicit drug/alcohol use.

Wrong. Drug addiction can be physiological in addition to physical. Physical dependence is the condition that exists when a person must continue to take a drug in order to avoid withdrawal sickness such as fever, chills, tremors, convulsions, and vomiting. This can be seen with heroin and alcohol. Physiological dependence is the condition that exists when a person must continue to take a drug in order to satisfy intense mental and emotional craving for the drug. This can be seen with cocaine.

And physiological symptoms in video games is just like addiction in drugs. If you bothered to read my first post, I cited a very descriptive example and signs of addiction. There's also plenty of articles online depicting video game addiction.

Maybe you're the one that should bother to check what addiction actually means.

There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under the sun, a time to play runescape and a time to refrain. Truly does runescape fiill a void? It depends on you. For many people I would say rs takes up to much of their time. Even for me I sometimes play to much. With a game like this it is easy to play to much. According to my diary I have averaged about 1 hour per day since i started playing back in 2001 most of this time was spent multitasking with something else, right now i am brushing my teeth. So that time is fine, however sometimes i binge which is bad. This is true of all things, moderation is the key. Balance you life with work, friendship, God, and relaxation, which area of your life is lacking?

Im lacking work and God :ohnoes:

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

Wrong. Drug addiction can be physiological in addition to physical. Physical dependence is the condition that exists when a person must continue to take a drug in order to avoid withdrawal sickness such as fever, chills, tremors, convulsions, and vomiting. This can be seen with heroin and alcohol. Physiological dependence is the condition that exists when a person must continue to take a drug in order to satisfy intense mental and emotional craving for the drug. This can be seen with cocaine.

And physiological symptoms in video games is just like addiction in drugs. If you bothered to read my first post, I cited a very descriptive example and signs of addiction. There's also plenty of articles online depicting video game addiction.

Maybe you're the one that should bother to check what addiction actually means.

Oh, well if WebMD says so...

There is not a single stat or shred of evidence in that article to confirm that video gaming addiction exists. The days of sticking "MD" at the end of your name and claiming whatever the hell you like about the human body, regardless of evidence, are long gone I'm afraid. Secondly, 'physical' and 'physiological' are terms which are used interchangeably in the context of the human body - withdrawal and tolerance are the two conditions of physiological/physical addiction as laid out by the DSM-IV.

Just to make things worse for your insistence that gaming addiction actually exists, the WebMD article itself further emphasises the psychological component:

"Even with alcohol, it's not just physical. There's a psychological component to the addiction, knowing 'I can escape or feel good about my life.'

Given the article lacks any hard numbers, what's to stop me arguing that 'gaming addiction' is simply the end result of avoidance personality disorder?