Quick Questions

Dizzle229

Just figured we needed a thread where people could ask questions that don't really deserve a thread all their own.

Edit: Whoops, first question is already fixed. Everyone else, post away.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Atleast in Windows 7 the screensaver delay is on the screensaver select page directly under the selection bar, which you can access under personalization in the control panel. atleast on laptops the screensaver is disabled by default in order to conserve energy, and instead of using a screen saver it instead turns off the display after a set amount of time, which can be changed under Hardware and sound - Power options in the control panel.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

I know at a local level (ie in your house) it's relatively close. My house is made of concrete, the router's in the basement, and I can sit on the front porch or in the driveway and access the wi-fi. My cousins live in a packed suburb, and their neighbors can steal their wi-fi. So it depends on the location of the router and the material it has to travel to. I guess it also depends on the application; a school's wi-fi is going to be bigger than at someone's house.

I was thinking more along the lines of an ad-hoc system, what would limit their distance? For example if we were to implement something like Netsukuku on a global scale.

The Theory of establishing a global wireless network is fully possible, and it would simply be limited in range to areas where wireless devices are connected to the network and the range of those devices, which could eventually succeed.

However if you are asking about Netsukuku specifically, atleast from what information I have seen it makes several unreasonable assumptions in its design that would likely prevent any reliable final product. the main issue that I can see with it is that it appears to ignore the fact that routing devices can only transfer data at a limited rate, and trying to exceed that would either cause the devices to drop packets, or in some situations cause the device to crash (and shorten the life of most devices due to high usage for long periods of time. In most cases residential and small business devices are not designed for such use.) so to explain the two possible extremes I can see based on what I know: In the best circumstances for long distance connections, you would have a normal speed and very low quality connection (you would only get data successfully once in a great while, but when you did it would be at the regular speed). In the worst case all the devices on the edge between group networks would be crashing in a never ending chain reaction

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source