new magic type

Unrealist

i was thinking about how we cold have a new type of magic: Necromancy, the art of raising the dead. I have thought up a few spells which could go into this branch. It should be a seperate type of magic like ancients.

================================================

Spirit Reaver

1 Death 1 Soul

A basic "attack" spell. Hitting enemies with this causes you to regain a quarter of your dealt damage as hitpoints. (hitting 4 will heal 1). Corpses killed with this spell as the final blow give neither exp nor drops. they also do not disappear, and some of the below spells can be cast on them...

Raise corpse

1 Blood, 2 Soul

Raises a body that has been killed with Spirit Reaver to fight for the caster, for 10 minutes. Can also be cast on Corpses like the ones in the Hill Giants cave.

Bone Crush

3 Earth, 2 Blood, 1 Death

Hits enemy for damage and reduces all melee stats by 3.

Undead strength

5 Fire, 4 Death

Deals 5 more damage when fighing undead creatures. Also, raised corpses deal 3 more damage.

Raise Undead

2 Soul, 2 Death

Raises an undead monster to fight for the caster (does not need to be casted on a body). The higher your Magic level, the better the level of the Undead.

Body Explosion

10 Fire, 5 Death

After killing an NPC with Spirit Reaver, casting Body Explosion on it will cause it to explode, dealing damage to all NPCs in a radius of 10 squares. Players will also be damaged if they are in an area that allows them to be attacked. (Castle Wars, Fight pits, Wilderness etc)

That's all the spells I can think of for now, so let's move on.

Staff of Necromancy

The staff of Necromancy can be obtained from killing the elemental mages south of falador. Initially it has a charge of 200 Death runes. After these are used up, it can be recharged by Malginus Mortifier (or whatever his name was, the one with the 4 elemental mages), for a fee of 150k.

It can be charged with either 200 Death runes, 200 Blood runes, or 200 soul runes. The name will change to indicate the charge and amount left.

So a Staff of Necromancy with a full Death charge would be Staff of Necromancy (200-d).

A Necromancy Staff with a 100 Blood charge would be Staff of Necromacy (100-B)

A Necromancy Staff with 176 soul rune charges would be Staff of Necromancy (176-s).

The staff itself looks like an ordinary staff with a skull at the tip and a curved bone at the bottom.

You do not need a staff on necromancy to cast necromancy spells, hovever you can only autocast with the staff, and it makes necromancy cheaper overall.

You should need to do a quest to be able to use Necromancy, the "Necromantic Secret" quest.

Comments? Please don't flame, i spent too much time on this to be flamed.

Your killing spells would make things to easy... I mean, what kill an NPC in one hit and costs only one death rune to perform? Heck, we could just bring some deaths and go kill the King Black Dragon or something over and over... even if it doesn't apply to boss monsters, one can go and cast it on fire giants to get the drops or something...

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

I like the idea... but the thing is, do you realise how this could affect peoples training? You are about to kill a Hill Giant or something and BAM, it's undead and someone else is controlling it. Might affect things like that, but i'm sure someone can find a way around it.

Apart from the first spell, I think this would be asolutely brilliant. Good for training. But seriously, that first spell is too overpowered. Even if it can only be cast on certain monsters, it's still too powerful.

I fully agree with omega!

One question though: Levels, have you thought about level requirements?

Ancient magiks are high lvled so id say this should be medium leveled, lvl 40 to start with neecromancy and highest spell about 75 to 80....

I myself would like to see spells that instead of weaken the npc, make them stronger, i would have a hay day making something stronger and then watching ppl fight it and get all mad because u just beefed it up a lil bit

w4M8t.png

Yeah... just bring a thousand deaths and the Fight Caves are in the bag... or just keep doing Barrows over and over...

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

The necromancer tells you he won't teach you necromancy though, although he did mention we might be able to learn the art of summoning from someone else who is willing to teach us.

~Toxicologist~

I see necromancy working in much the same way as the cannon does for range, in that you summon monsters that fight for you, but it wouldn't be a case of a single spell as 'payment'; perhaps you lose 1 death 1 soul rune for every 5 seconds it's alive, or perhaps every time it attacks it costs you runes just as if you were casting spells.

In a little hilltop village they gambled for my clothes

I bargained for salvation and they gave me a lethal dose

I offered up my innocence, I got repaid with scorn

"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

Make that one Mind rune. Maintaining spells shouldn't be too expensive.

~Toxicologist~

Make that one Mind rune. Maintaining spells shouldn't be too expensive.

It was just a random example.

However, i kill dragons with chaos or death runes. If i could summon a monster to kill them for the cost of only mind runes, it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper and i'm nto sure that's a good idea.

Appropriate cost is relative to various factors that aren't concrete, so it's impoossible to say they should cost x minds, or x bloods, or whatever. In relative terms, i think they should cost roughly the same as what it would cost to constantly attack with spells of similar strength.

The main difficulty in Necromancy and Summoning is the part where you open an Abyssal Portal to summon a monster, or to reanimate a corpse. Maintaining control should not require too much power.

~Toxicologist~

The main difficulty in Necromancy and Summoning is the part where you open an Abyssal Portal to summon a monster, or to reanimate a corpse. Maintaining control should not require too much power.

I disagree. If you insist on going down the pseudo-reality route then you cxould easily argue that a monster can only exist in the rs world if it maintains contact with the abyss, and that therefore you need to keep the poral open while it's fighting - which could take as much power as opening it in the first place.

However, i feel it's far more important to consider the practical side of how it affects gameplay rather than trying to tie trhe game down to rigidly imposed ideas of 'reality'. Not that i'm saying your suggestion is a bad one, only it should be considered based on the merits of it's impact on the game not on a vague idea of what Necromancy might be like. Eg:

It would bias summoning against being used to single boss type enemies in quests ,unless you're pretty rich, but would be more useful for long stints of training. If the monsters are easy to kill/dispose of then it could make summoning redundant as noone wants to spend lots for a shorterm effect. On the other hand, having a constant cost of keeping the monster alive rather than high summoning costs is beneficial because it is a fairer representation of the benefit derived from the monster, but on the other hand may prove pretty similar to the cannon in terms of tactical use, and therefore offers less new tactics to develop and consider.