Alg's Top 13 Games You Should Try

Alg

In no particular order. Very Nintendo-centric, because that's more or less what I grew up with.

Fire Emblem (Game Boy Advance, 2003)

GBA_Fire_Emblem_Box.jpg

Turn-Based strategy/RPG hybrid, your character is the strategist for an army, and you command them. If they die, they stay dead or are otherwise unfit to fight, depending on the character. Each character has a different class, and each class has different advantages and disadvantages. There are around 30 levels, 10 in the first half which serves as a tutorial, and 20+ in the main story depending on how many side chapters you unlock. I've beaten it many times, and each time I've had a different experience with it. There are that many options available to you.

Tales of the Abyss (PS2, 200/6)

250px-Talesoftheabyss_us.jpg

JRPG. You've seen Tales of Symphonia on previous lists, this is the same company. Story is, in my opinion, much better, though I can't really describe it without massive spoilers, and the combat system is very fun. It's apparently getting a 3DS port, too.

Of course, if you hate JRPGs, you won't want to be in the same room as it.

Super Smash Bros. Franchise (N64, Gamecube, Wii)

250px-Supersmashbox.jpg

I'm not getting in to that whole Brawl vs. Melee thing, so here's the whole franchise. If you didn't already know, you play as Nintendo characters and beat the living [cabbage] out of other Nintendo characters. I really can't say what makes them worthy of a place here other than that they're really fun, especially with friends.

Pokemon Franchise (Too many to list, 1996-present)

200px-Pokemon_blue_box.jpg

Why pick just one when they've been making the same game for over 14 years? :razz:

Each new game adds something a bit different, and not just for game mechanics. It's a long runner that's gotten more depth over it's course, up to and including the actual story that the 5th generation is supposed to have. :razz:

Star Wars KOTOR II - With Restored Content mod (PC, 2004)

230px-KOTOR_II.jpg

A different look at Star Wars that ends up being good even with much of the content being cut. There's a mod that restores a lot of it, but I can't seem to find it.

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (Gamecube, 2003)

250px-ZeldaWindWakerGCNCoverArtUS.jpg

Often gets forgotten in the fight between the two N64 titles, but Wind Waker is a genuinely good game. The cartoony graphics suit it. Plus, the music isn't bad.

Team Fortress 2 (PC, 2007)

TF2_Group.jpg

Let the huge thread on these forums tell you why you should play it. Then play it.

Mass Effect 2 (With DLC) (XBOX360/PC/PS3 soon, 2010)

MassEffect2_cover.PNG

Other lists have had this game. I don't think they've included the DLC though. The story for Project Overlord is better than a lot of games currently on the market, with just as much robot-shooting action. I'm playing it right now, writing this list while waiting for Biotic Charge to cool down.

Guitar Hero/Rock Band franchises (All current consoles, 2006-present)

200px-Guitar_Hero_series_controllers.jpg

Again, they're really all the same game with different songs. If you're a fan of rock and/or metal, you'll probably enjoy this. Deep down, you all love rocking the [bleep] out on plastic guitars. It's just human nature.

Portal (2007?)

1372800-750px_portal_infinity_super.jpg

Come for the puzzles, stay for the cake! Except there is no cake. The game that launched a handful of memes and made you love homicidal singing robots.

Fable (PC, Xbox, 2004)

Fablebox.jpg

Say what you want about what it could have been, it ended up pretty good. One of those games that you could play differently each time you load it, which may be a lot considering how short it is. And the soundtrack is amazing.

If I wasn't picked for this week I would have probably included Fable 3. Oh well.

Star Fox 64 (N64, Wii VC, 1997)

250px-StarFox64_N64_Game_Box.jpg

A rail shooter that spawned more memes than Portal. Can be beaten in half an hour, but you'll play it for longer trying to beat your score. Like an arcade game, but you don't have to keep putting in quarters with every death. You just pay them all up front.

Scribblenauts (Nintendo DS, 2009)

256px-Scribblenauts_cover.jpg

You can pretty much do whatever you want. Yes, anything. Dinosaurs? Yes. Ride a unicorn off a ramp? Yes. Have God and Cthulhu fight? Yes.

Yeah. That's the list. Enjoy.

I probably would have listed KOTOR 1 over KOTOR 2 but both were about equal from what I remember. Wished they just finished the series instead of jumping to an MMO.. What do you mean about restored content in KOTOR 2?

KotOR1>>>>>>>>>>>KotOR2. Gameplay is about the same in both, but 1's story was just epic...

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg