Tips for finding a part time job?

All_Is_Great

Well, I need to find a part time job. I've been procrastinating for several months now, but I figure I should get onto it and hope to find a job soon.

However, I've never worked before and need all the help I can.

Things like:

how to write a good resume

interviews in general

what kind of places should I apply at.

etc.

Thanks in advance guys!

Staurolite.png

how to write a good resume

There are plenty of guides out there on the internet; I'd suggest Googling. But generally, ensure it's clear and straightforward with no grammatical or spelling mistakes. You'll want to get photocopies of references etc, generally from well respected individuals - fx, if your family knows a local doctor who you say, did lawn mowing for, try and get a recommendation from them and just photocopy and attach. Try to aim for 2 - 4 references, if you're starting out.

interviews in general

My father is a contract project manager, and as such is often in charge of hiring staff. When I first tried to get summer jobs etc, he gave me a bit of advice along the lines of:

Self confidence is the most important thing, along with clarity. However, arrogance automatically turns me off.

Basically, go into an interview knowing what you want and why you want it, being confident you're more than capable of doing the job. But don't saunter in assuming you deserve it. Also, be enthusiastic!

what kind of places should I apply at.

Assuming you're a teenager (big premise there :3) you're probably looking to do 'unskilled' part time work. I'd recommend the service industry over manual labour, assuming you're being paid minimum wage; it's great to get early experience there as you develop contacts, especially in hospitality. I'd recommend clothing/electronics stores (if you like that), cafes and bars.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Keep your resume 1 page, make it look professional, list healthy hobbies and interests, education etc try and make it relevant to the job you're applying for, but make sure you can edit it easily for a specific job.

Go in to multiple places and ask to talk to a manager, bring your resume with you and ask if there is any work going. Keep coming back every fortnight, they will remember you and see that you are keen. If you need something to fill the page with write a couple sentences about yourself at the bottom. By about yourself, I mean how great of a worker you are etc, but be subtle.

Don't do what my friend did and list playing computer games as a hobby, then apply at a couple places once and give up.

Keep your resume 1 page, make it look professional, list healthy hobbies and interests, education etc try and make it relevant to the job you're applying for, but make sure you can edit it easily for a specific job.

Go in to multiple places and ask to talk to a manager, bring your resume with you and ask if there is any work going. Keep coming back every fortnight, they will remember you and see that you are keen. If you need something to fill the page with write a couple sentences about yourself at the bottom. By about yourself, I mean how great of a worker you are etc, but be subtle.

Don't do what my friend did and list playing computer games as a hobby, then apply at a couple places once and give up.

What do you mean that I should go back every fortnight? What do I say everytime I go back? Wouldn't they get annoyed or something? :unsure:

Anyways, I'm 17, and I'm just hoping for any job probably, just not washing toilets :uhh:

Staurolite.png

Connections.

If you don't mind hard labour, working with a landscape crew, or laying driveways isn't a bad job.

Library requires a resume, which is a pain, but they have pretty reasonable standards, although usually annoying hours.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

What do you mean that I should go back every fortnight? What do I say everytime I go back? Wouldn't they get annoyed or something? :unsure:

Go back, ask to talk to a manager again, tell them your name and that you're looking for work. They won't get annoyed if it's only fortnightly, but you'll find out when they're hiring.

If you keep going back, it'll show you're interested in the job and you are very persistant about getting it. My grandpa told me this story (many times over, he's old) about how he took my cousin to get her first job. She wanted to work at McDonald's, so they went there, he parked and told her to go in and get a job. She went in and talked to the manager, he said they weren't hiring. So, they left, and came back the next day. He told her to go back in, and she did, having the same thoughts you posted. Again, no job. The next day, they went back, and my grandpa got her to reluctantly go in. She got the job on the third day.

2s0cxth.png

-The older you are, the better.

-Don't get any body modifications like tattoos, breast augmentation, plastic surgery, etc.

-Hygiene.

-Education counts.

-Get a car or other reliable transportation.

-Manners.

-Get to know the place a little.

-Clean criminal record.

-Good posture.

Connections.

If you don't mind hard labour, working with a landscape crew, or laying driveways isn't a bad job.

Library requires a resume, which is a pain, but they have pretty reasonable standards, although usually annoying hours.

Are you saying some places don't require resumes? Because I was wondering how it worked.

There are some big chain stores where they take applications, but I never know when the right time to hand them a resume is :???:

@dan & blake, ok I will try that! For a second I didn't quite understand what a fortnight was :lol:, but i figured out it's 14 days, which doesn't sound too naggy.

@cliff, thanks, I'm a guy, no breast augmentations for me :razz:

Staurolite.png

-The older you are, the better.

Not necessarily. It all depends where you work; fx, if you're working in an urban clothing store or groovy cafe, they may not want older individuals.

-Don't get any body modifications like tattoos, breast augmentation, plastic surgery, etc.

Again, it varies from your place of employment. However, I would recommend that if you're getting tattoos to make them easily concealable and for you to remove facial piercings before an interview.

-Hygiene.

-Education counts.

Depends.

-Get a car or other reliable transportation.

-Manners.

-Get to know the place a little.

-Clean criminal record.

Again, it depends where you want to work. Quite a few employers aren't too fussed about drug possession, DUIs and the like.

-Good posture.

Sections with no comments are those which I agree with. :smile:

Hello there, All_Is_Great. While I appreciate you making a new thread for the purpose of getting a job, i'm afraid we have a thread dedicated specifically for Real Life Help and Advice - You can find it here - http://forum.tip.it/topic/245618-real-life-help-advice/ That really is the place to post questions like these, so i'll be locking this. If you have any questions PM me, don't be a stranger.

Cheers, Shiny :).

lampost_sig_stark.png