Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fill me in on Soccer[USA]

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Pat_61
[ Display Name History ]

Pat_61

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Pat_61
  • Clan:The Gallery
I haven't played soccer on a team since 5th grade or so, and I am planning on trying out for my high school team this year. What all gets added during the time I wasn't on a team?
I Support TET!| If you want bunny PM Me.|Click For My DevArt
Posted Image
^ Cowboy is the Best ^

IT'S A TRAP SHINY JUST WANTS TO STALK YOU.

Hell yeah I do. Whats your msn?

That's how it all starts.

Next he's going to ask you what flavor of candy you enjoy and whats your favorite color van.

stevepole
[ Display Name History ]

stevepole

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • 8,477 posts
I'm confused, what are you asking? If soccer has changed?
Posted Image

Pat_61
[ Display Name History ]

Pat_61

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
Yes and no.... see I stopped playing formal soccer before slide tackling and before 11 players(?)(if that gives you a sense of when). I want to know what rules and concepts are normally added after that point, mainly for defenders, but in general as well.
Posted Image
^ Cowboy is the Best ^

Next he's going to ask you what flavor of candy you enjoy and whats your favorite color van.

stevepole
[ Display Name History ]

stevepole

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • 8,477 posts
The rules have never changed as far as I know.. You must have played in a league with modified rules.
Posted Image

Pat_61
[ Display Name History ]

Pat_61

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
I still don't think you get what I am saying. Little kids don't start with all of the rules and such... I stopped in 5th grade of formal playing.
Posted Image
^ Cowboy is the Best ^

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
Ohh I see what you're saying.

Steve, he wants to know how the game changes from kid to adult, not formal rules over the past few years.

When I played (last year was grade 4) there were no cards, and no headers allowed. Obviously you can do those now. That's about it for me though, I'm no soccer expert...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Dupin
[ Display Name History ]

Dupin

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,659 posts
Alright. First of all, if your High School is any good, you'll be doing quite a bit of running. That means maybe two miles as a warm up (for practice) and sprints and other runs during practice. Stamina is essential in soccer, as if you're good you'll be running for the full 90-minute game.

As far as rules go:
-10 players on field, plus a goalie
-Off sides: you must stay behind the last two defenders (keeper included) or in line with the ball (whichever is closest to the goal) until the ball is kicked. This is sort of hard to explain, let me know if it doesn't make sense.
-yellows are given for dangerous plays. Basically, don't do anything stupid. Get close and personal when you play, as it's not against the rules to push with your body, as long as you're not actually pushing the kid or grabbing him (noticeably)
-Red cards are pretty rare in high school, but if you do something dangerous that prevents a goal, you'll get a red.
-when you tackle, you have to hit the ball, not the feet.

I've probably missed something. Any questions?

OldJoe
[ Display Name History ]

OldJoe

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,922 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Joedeby
Maybe you should also watch some football matches to see how different it is from restricted game.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies
Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie
Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens
Je suis juste un cas désespérant
Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer
Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

stevepole
[ Display Name History ]

stevepole

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • 8,477 posts

Ohh I see what you're saying.

Steve, he wants to know how the game changes from kid to adult, not formal rules over the past few years.

When I played (last year was grade 4) there were no cards, and no headers allowed. Obviously you can do those now. That's about it for me though, I'm no soccer expert...

Yeah, that makes more senses. :P
Posted Image

Hawks
[ Display Name History ]

Hawks

The Goalie

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,963 posts
  • RSN:Hawk0078
It's a keeper. You can tell who doesn't play because they call them goalies. That's hockey.

Lots of running, some strength conditioning will do you good.

You have 10 players to run whatever way you want, usually 3-4-3 or 2-4-4 is typical. Forwards can go anywhere, if they don't have the ball and are past the other team's last line of defense [besides keeper], they are offsides. This gives defending team a free kick or goal shot, depending on the severity. This is why defenders typically play as far up as they can.

Midfielders can go wherever, generally stay behind forwards, can also be called offsides for same deal as forwards. They run a lot. So do forwards.

Defense can come up to midfield, generally it's a bad idea to go past, I don't think you can.

Keeper can go anywhere [often they come up to take a kick] but they can't use their hands out of the box. Keeper has to wear a jersey to distinguish themselves.

Depending on where you play, your refs may be very uptight and may require jerseys to be tucked in. If you wear glasses and play with them, you'll probably need a strap for them. You might have to wear headgear, and your coach will probably expect you to head the ball when possible. Generally, if one team is 8 up, it's mercy.

Yellow cards are warnings, red cards chuck you out. Coaches can be carded too. Generally elbowing is a big one.

Free throws: You must blatantly drag your feet; both must be on the ground when you throw it in. Your hands must go all the way behind your head when you throw it in as well.

Corner kicks; you can put the ball anywhere in the semi-circle you want and kick it.

When you slide tackle, you've got to hit the ball or completely miss the kid and the ball or you'll be carded.

Pat_61
[ Display Name History ]

Pat_61

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
Ok thanks guys :grin: Hahaha I am about to start my own conditioning since marching band is over, school conditioning starts in January.
Posted Image
^ Cowboy is the Best ^

Psychologist
[ Display Name History ]

Psychologist

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Psychologist
Don't argue with the referees. As a former player and current coach/certified referee, I've noticed that verbal dissent always tends to be a team's downfall when coming to bookings.

Posted Image

Dupin
[ Display Name History ]

Dupin

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

It's a keeper. You can tell who doesn't play because they call them goalies. That's hockey.

Lots of running, some strength conditioning will do you good.

You have 10 players to run whatever way you want, usually 3-4-3 or 2-4-4 is typical. Forwards can go anywhere, if they don't have the ball and are past the other team's last line of defense [besides keeper], they are offsides. This gives defending team a free kick or goal shot, depending on the severity. This is why defenders typically play as far up as they can.

Midfielders can go wherever, generally stay behind forwards, can also be called offsides for same deal as forwards. They run a lot. So do forwards.

Defense can come up to midfield, generally it's a bad idea to go past, I don't think you can.

Keeper can go anywhere [often they come up to take a kick] but they can't use their hands out of the box. Keeper has to wear a jersey to distinguish themselves.

Depending on where you play, your refs may be very uptight and may require jerseys to be tucked in. If you wear glasses and play with them, you'll probably need a strap for them. You might have to wear headgear, and your coach will probably expect you to head the ball when possible. Generally, if one team is 8 up, it's mercy.

Yellow cards are warnings, red cards chuck you out. Coaches can be carded too. Generally elbowing is a big one.

Free throws: You must blatantly drag your feet; both must be on the ground when you throw it in. Your hands must go all the way behind your head when you throw it in as well.

Corner kicks; you can put the ball anywhere in the semi-circle you want and kick it.

When you slide tackle, you've got to hit the ball or completely miss the kid and the ball or you'll be carded.

Keeper and goalie are synonymous, which is used depends on the area. I used both terms in my post. In general, Americans are more likely to use "goalie" and since he called it "soccer" I assumed he was an American.

There is no rule that says defenders can't go past the midfield. In fact, if you're playing with more than four defenders, there are times when some defenders should be past. In general, though, defenders should be defending. Also, the offsides rule does not apply to the opponent when you are on the opponent's half, so pushing that far up as defense only gains you the advantage of having extra men forward.

If you don't know how to throw (I assume they taught you when you first played), get someone irl to teach you.

By "semi-circle" he means the little area near the corner.

Technically, all tackles are supposed to be for the ball, but slide tackles are much easier to judge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users