2010/2011 Movies discussion

redhaloguy

What do you guys think of the Oscar nominations?

BEST MOTION PICTURE OF THE YEAR

"Black Swan" (Fox Searchlight)

"The Fighter" (Paramount)

"Inception" (Warner Bros.)

"The Kids Are All Right" (Focus Features)

"The King's Speech" (The Weinstein Company)

"127 Hours" (Fox Searchlight)

"The Social Network" (Sony Pictures Releasing)

"Toy Story 3" (Walt Disney)

"True Grit" (Paramount)

"Winter's Bone" (Roadside Attractions)

(Just going to list the one most people care about, but the full list of all nominations can be found here)

I've only seen half the films that are nominated for best picture but as of right now I'd probably put my money on The Social Network. I'm going to try and see the rest of the films before the award show

tFtfA.jpg

I really enjoyed The Tourist :) I suppose it's kind of weird because it's such an odd combination of comedy, drama and thriller. And maybe that's the problem. It's not the best in any of those categories. It doesn't have enough comedy to be well liked for having great comedy, it's not enough of a drama to be ranked against great dramas and to be considered among them, and it's not enough of a thriller to rank against great thrillers. The weird combination kind of puts it in a category of its own which leaves you little to compare it to (at least with the movies I've seen). But it's definitely worth a watch (theaters or rental) and I liked the ending ;)

That's reassuring :D I figured that maybe the whole movie just plain sucked after seeing some of the hate it was getting. I do like Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie, and I figured how could you possibly screw up a movie with them as the leads in a beautiful European setting.

1icyna.png

Anybody else going to be disappointed this year?

Even Scorsese is doing a 3D movie...

http://en.wikipedia....ki/2011_in_film

Well, I may not have the best taste in movies, but by skimming that list, these are the few that have some of my attention:

1. The Mechanic (coming out tomorrow. Neat)
  2. Unknown
  3. The Adjustment Bureau (Maybe)
  4. Pirates of the Caribbean 4 (Idk how it will work, but we'll see if it's any good)
  5. Hangover 2 (Hopefully they have some fresh ideas)
  6. Cars 2 (Maybe; wasn't that big of a fan of Cars, but Pixar rarely does wrong)
  7. Transformers 3 (:anxious:)
  8. Harry Potter 7 Part 2 (YAY!)
  9. Cowboys and Aliens
  10. Mission Impossible 4
  11. Sherlock Holmes 2

So, maybe not that many, but that's before I know much about the other titles/see previews/read reviews. Plus, Harry Potter will be life-changing :P so that alone makes this year awesome.

1icyna.png

from that list i've seen:

only thing i can say is that i hope none of these wins

What you rather have win? Just one of the others on the list. I would recommend The Social Network if you haven't seen it yet.

There are a lot of films coming out this year that I'm excited to see and I don't see why people are so bugged out by 3D, it doesn't ruin or take anything away from the film.

tFtfA.jpg

I like Black Swan for Best Actress, Director, and Picture but I am 100% biased. I really hope neither Inception nor The Social Network win for Best Picture if anything.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

from that list i've seen:

only thing i can say is that i hope none of these wins

What you rather have win? Just one of the others on the list. I would recommend The Social Network if you haven't seen it yet.

There are a lot of films coming out this year that I'm excited to see and I don't see why people are so bugged out by 3D, it doesn't ruin or take anything away from the film.

i guess inception? even though i think dicarpio's best flick this year was shutter island

i think king's speech will take it just because it seems like the typical oscar film

I'm on board with that too, Shutter Island was definitely his better film. Scorsese v. Nolan. Gee, I wonder who will direct a better performance haha. I feel like I need to see King's Speech as well so I don't go into Oscar night blind.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

• 10 months later...

2011 was a pretty alright year

top films:

Drive

50/50

Tree Of Life.

Still need to see The Artist and Tinker Spy (something something)

What did you guys think?

If you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all.