More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Arkansas

Zilla

Scott Wright, the chief of disease investigations explains, that firecrackers would have set the birds out at night, flyinng blind.

It's believed that the noise startled them-they are poor night fliers-and they were in close proximity to neighborhoods, and they flew into homes and cars. They died of impact force to their bodies.

That's what the National Wildlife Health Center thinks

http://io9.com/5727758/national-wildlife-health-center-determines-cause-of-blackbird-death

Except it has also happened in places like Sweden... There have also been mass bird deaths in Italy, as well as thousands of fish dying across the world in a similar fashion to that of the birds.

I don't think it's a coincidence, and the firecracker hypothesis doesn't seem likely.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12135380

I'm willing to bet that all the other cases are fairly common occurrences, people just either never notice or never hear about them. Have to be unrelated anyway

yes.png

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are pretty common, the media is just stirring things up and people are starting to hop on the conspiracy theory train. It might all sound funny but I don't think people should start jumping to all these crazy conclusions.

I wouldn't call blackbirds stupid or suicidal. Flocking is what birds do for protection. A startled or spooked group could easily end up misguided and lead plenty of birds into obstacles or bad weather and such. For the most part they only travel by day, so if something spooked them up at night, of course they are going to hit stuff. Birds run into things or get spooked and startled and crash. Bird strikes on windows for example. They happen everyday. It generally happens to individual birds, but this time of year they are all migrated southward because of winter, hence the reason so many were found together. They probably had a flock of a couple hundred thousand or even more, so if something spooked them all up from their roosts, naturally your going to have a lot of deaths as they all started flying into stuff.

What I didn't hear anywhere on the news, was if there were any live injured birds found anywhere. Obviously they all wouldn't die, you would have just as many wounded ones. That seemed kind of odd. Even when we had our huge bird kill up here, we were finding half dead birds all over the place.

arcy777-2.jpg
arcsig.jpg
2001-2006 the fourth and last legit 123 on classic
123 classic/137 rs2 Native American Pride

• 3 weeks later...