Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How do players know how much an item is worth?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

i_D_r
[ Display Name History ]

i_D_r

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
There are a number of things:

-----

Natural Demand/Supply meeting at a certain point (for items with utility).

High alch prices + stores will buy everything (mostly for items without much utility)

Elasticity of items

Shops, and their once a day stocks

Statuettes, coin drops, and other ways raw GP comes into game

Items leaving the game

Monopolistic activity

Amount of players

Updates (this is pretty much correlated to everything else here)

Since the advent of the Grand Exchange, Jagex on a few items from time to time

The Grand Exchange itself; some items such as edibles are/were merely bought out to be used as bargaining chips for higher-end items (due to GE's constraint of obtaining such higher-end items)

Bots / Gold farmers

Amount of GP each player has, who has it, and the ratio for which it is distributed

--------

I think this covers most basic ways items get their prices. I had to stop because I started listing too many things related to each other. But you get the idea.

Off topic: Merchanting, besides monopolistic activities (and sometimes monopolistic activity is needed for the best value for society e. g. utilities), churns the wheel for a healthy economy. In real life, a lot of jobs wouldn't exist. In Runescape, the end result is the same.

Pre-GE, they provided a hub for items. Post-GE, they can do the same on a number of occasions. I.E. Brews are bought out due to a new update (such as Nex). You may pay inflated prices to get such items.
Posted Image

Animaslayer
[ Display Name History ]

Animaslayer

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Animaslayer
  • Clan:SODB

If the standard price of an item pre-07 was 2m, and a merchanter sold it for 2.1m, that wasn't scamming. Some people want their items immediately, so they would be willing to pay a bit extra.

Selling spinach rolls or charcoal for 20m was scamming. <-

selling spinach roll 20m <- not a scam
selling super rare spinach roll, only this one left in game <- scam

charging a price you want is not a scam, lying about its properties and such, is
Posted Image
Dragon Drops: Platelegs x9, Med Helms x7, Plateskirts x4, Shield Left Half x3, At least 75+ Boots!, Hatchets x5, Ruined Shard x1, Solo Claws x2, Dragon 2Hander x1, Spear x2
Whip x27, Dark Bows x9, Draconic Visage x1
Posted Image <- do that when you see me :P

Jaded
[ Display Name History ]

Jaded

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 77 posts
Easiest way for me was to go to w2 and listen for a few minutes. Go stand in the rares section if you were trying to sell rares and see what most people were selling for. I still use this to gauge when to sell stuff when flipping. Like yesterday i saw so many people dumping bandos chestplate, i dumped mine and didn't lose 700k per :ohnoes:

But be aware that certain merch clans are going to try and create panic when free trade comes: advertise a low sell price to make it seem like it's crashing, scoop up an item for cheap and resell for higher when panic passes. Yeah they're not even keeping the illusion of not price manipulating anymore.

This really gets down to the morals of cheating versus the morals of being forced to throw away your life [1000's of hours] to access content you enjoy

Isn't life about throwing away your life (a job) to access content you enjoy?

sprites
[ Display Name History ]

sprites

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 191 posts
You hired an appraiser, duh. :P
Posted Image
Kill corporate radio. http://www.killradio.org

Zantareous
[ Display Name History ]

Zantareous

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 424 posts
Standing around and seeing the average asking price, Zybez, Forums.

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

DiscoShazam
[ Display Name History ]

DiscoShazam

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • RSN:Disco Shazam
same way that jagex knows how much an item is worth.

just kidding, they don't.
Posted Image

Hamtaro
[ Display Name History ]

Hamtaro

Skeleton Shield

• Editorial Panel
  • 1,174 posts
  • RSN:Hamtaro
  • Clan:HamChiP3ace
inb4everyone still uses GE for all trades except rares/new items

I voted yes btw... multiple times.
Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.
Posted Image
"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Pat_61
[ Display Name History ]

Pat_61

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Pat_61
  • Clan:The Gallery
How do you know what an item is worth in real life? People decided the price that they think it is worth and will barter a little. Its also a matter of supply and demand vs contental(yes I made up a word) value. If rune ore was everywhere like iron, its price would be in a similar state to iron, though still staying high due to the high levels needed and would be ~1k-5k I would assume. Its also a mind game and how people buy stuff off each other. If you are selling an item people need right then and there you can get a lot more money than if they just want it. That's why World 1 was always tedious for the buyers and sellers. Most were smart enough to wait around to see if their are lower prices. Which brings us to competition of sellers. When players would enter the alter(quite sad that they moved it IMO) they would look to see who was giving the most money/runes back with ess. The smart players that saw who they traded with gained a loyalty to them and then other crafters would have to raise the reward to get a lot of people to come to them. Can't wait for good ole free trade and for some prices to fix themselves.
I Support TET!| If you want bunny PM Me.|Click For My DevArt
Posted Image
^ Cowboy is the Best ^

IT'S A TRAP SHINY JUST WANTS TO STALK YOU.

Hell yeah I do. Whats your msn?

That's how it all starts.

Next he's going to ask you what flavor of candy you enjoy and whats your favorite color van.

ACDCFTW
[ Display Name History ]

ACDCFTW

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 8 posts
I knew how much stuff was worth when i entered W2 Fally park.

I use to go to W2 Fally park once a day just check the prices of items.

Fools_Taco
[ Display Name History ]

Fools_Taco

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 871 posts
  • RSN:Fools Taco
  • Clan:Skilling Guild.

I really hope G.E prices won't be leading prices as it makes proper old time merchanting, not necesarrily scamming, a lot harder!

You cant do old time merchanting because the merchants of the past provided what the GE does today.

Anyone can tele to the GE and place whatever number of any item for any price.

You dont need someone to collect all the small amounts into a larger amount anymore.

People wont have to mess around with the trade forums anymore they can just place it in the GE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users