How to use OEM Software

Guy

I plan on making a computer for a friend's friend. I plan on buying Windows 7 x64 OEM for tihs. A few questions

1) How does the OEM software work? Do I put the disk in and then it installs and you input the product code, but it is left to setup by the end user?

2) How do I install drivers before giving it to the end user.

An explaination/link to explaination about OEM OS software would be amazing. My searches haven't been successful.

Thank you in advance.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

OEM software works so that your software can only be used on one computer, you can still use the license if you choose to reinstall, but it is not possible to transfer the license between computers. At installation you input the product code and install and activate. However, in some cases if you change hardware in your computer then decide to reinstall, it might tell you that you cannot activate the license. Depends on hardware swapped.

(Don't count 100% on this, but im pretty confident that most of it is true.)

If it is windows 7, most drivers are updated automatically by windows update. Might have to install graphic card driver yourself, but you should just goto nvidia or amd's homepage and download the driver that works for every card.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

OEM software works so that your software can only be used on one computer, you can still use the license if you choose to reinstall, but it is not possible to transfer the license between computers. At installation you input the product code and install and activate. However, in some cases if you change hardware in your computer then decide to reinstall, it might tell you that you cannot activate the license. Depends on hardware swapped.

(Don't count 100% on this, but im pretty confident that most of it is true.)

If it is windows 7, most drivers are updated automatically by windows update. Might have to install graphic card driver yourself, but you should just goto nvidia or amd's homepage and download the driver that works for every card.

Ok thanks. Is OEM installation the same as normal installation? Or are all setup options (usernames, etc) left up to end user? Can I install drivers before going through setup? And do I need to format HDD before installation or will it do that for me?

Thanks.

RIP TET

original.png

It's a normal installation in pretty much all ways. It should also allow you to format the drive through the install.

Ok. In that case, how so I make it boot to a setup screen like big manufacturers do (when buying a new computer from Dell etc.) for the end user to set up their own preferances?

Thanks again.

RIP TET

original.png

Works the same as the normal disc, only difference is its not fancy packaging and its ONLY 64bit, not 32 bit also.

Also, you can transfer the licence to another machine (provided its not a dell licence etc). I did it plenty of times when doing re-installs for customers at my last job.

As for the boot thing, Just install Windows 7 and it'll restart, after it restarts it'll ask for the whole "input PC name, acept blah blah blah". so just turn it off when it restarts.

Edit: If the HDD has another OS or hasnt been formatted it'll format it itself. Drivers though, you have to install AFTER Windows 7 is all installed, including preferences etc. (PS: Always do the Chipset driver first before you do anything.) If your building a computer from new parts you'll get a disc with the motherboard with its drivers also, if not search the motherboard manufacturer's site (and check the name of the mother board eg:" Gigabyte X58A-UD3R"

Popoto.~<3

As long as you don't change the motherboard, you can continue to reinstall windows as often as you like. If you do upgrade motherboards, you can call them and try to convince them it was a replacement, but it is unlikely to work if the motherboard is built for another socket.

1) OEM copies of Windows 7 work as normal copies of Windows 7 when installing them if you do not follow the legal installation method (which most people dont), except as mentioned that it is SUPPOSED to only work on one computer (I have heard that it only cares that the two computers have the same motherboard model). One downsides is that you technically do not get tech support from Microsoft(who ever calls them anyways?), and if you do not follow the legal installation method it will cause a few odd outputs from the operating system if you know where to look which don't have a performance impact. for your issue on whether it will do setup look at my next answer

2)Well, technically yes, though there are some differences based on whether you use the Easy install method or the Legal install method:

Easy install method - use the OEM disk as a standard installation disk. You can install updates before giving it to the end user before, however you must configure the operating system as if you were the end user (including accepting the EULA, which is illegal) which will mean that the computer will include the account that you used to install the updates.

Legal install method - Use the Windows 7 OPK to install Windows 7 (A good deal more difficult to do and not the easiest software to obtain for a 1 time thing) which is designed specifically for your circumstances.

It seems it is possible to send the computer back into the original boot sequence using command prompt, though I am not sure exactly what it would all reset as I have not tested this myself (it is intended for use during the OPK install method but it would likely run on a normal install):

c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep[Caution: Executable File] /oobe /generalize /shutdown

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source