1. 1. Has Runescape Jumped the Shark?

• Yes
    • No
    • Still too early to tell

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where have I seen this thread before . . .

Oh, I saw it here. Last week. And the week before. And every week before that since the birth of Runescape. No, Runescape is not dying, getting worse, etc, etc, etc. It's more fun than ever.

/thread

He never said anything about dying. The OP's post is regarding whether or not RS has reached it's peak. in other words, now that RS has been updated so fiercely can the game continue to improve or will it stagnate or slowly decline. Nothing about dying buddy.

and your post doesn't end this thread ROFL. This is a valid discussion among the people that understand the topic like me. For people like you it's just another doomsayer post on RS coming to an end.

Ah, I get it. So the OP is saying that Runescape has reached its peak and will now begin its steady decline into stagnation and desertion.

You're right. Definitely not a ROONSCAPE IS DYING OMFG thread. :rolleyes:

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Runescape hasn't reached its peak yet, lol. If anything it's starting to get even better thanks to the updates now.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

runescape jumped the shark when RS2 came out.

Runescape jumped the shark when they introduced the dragon medium.

Dragon slayer, the start of the end!

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

runescape jumped the shark when RS2 came out.

Runescape jumped the shark when they introduced the dragon medium.

Dragon slayer, the start of the end!

The damn tutorial island was what ruined it! Before then there were no noobs (the good ol days when there was a sense of community).

Ooh this demands a thread on forum games!

Oh, I saw it here. Last week. And the week before. And every week before that since the birth of Runescape. No, Runescape is not dying, getting worse, etc, etc, etc. It's more fun than ever.

/thread

He never said anything about dying. The OP's post is regarding whether or not RS has reached it's peak. in other words, now that RS has been updated so fiercely can the game continue to improve or will it stagnate or slowly decline. Nothing about dying buddy.

and your post doesn't end this thread ROFL. This is a valid discussion among the people that understand the topic like me. For people like you it's just another doomsayer post on RS coming to an end.

Ah, I get it. So the OP is saying that Runescape has reached its peak and will now begin its steady decline into stagnation and desertion.

The OP is not saying this. at all and neither am I.

In your opinion the OP and I both believe that middle aged men of around fourty are DYING OMFG.

The game has passed its peak and will start to decline slowly, just like you are dying the second you are born.

Bladewing, what I mean by people like me understanding this thread is that this thread is not about how many people join/leave/return to the game but the quality of the game and the evolution of the game. Sure, more people can join everyday. Hell the population on Rs could double tomorrow and Jagex still jumped the shark because of the radical game changing updates that they have recently implemented. With the addition of the fact that there are no more skills that could fit into the game, the only remaining outlet for updates is quests but many people don't even give quests a second glance, and that questing is not a huge timetaker. In general what the OP and I are saying is that in terms of the quality of the game and the development of the game, The shark has been jumped.

Here is a great example.

The terminator movie series jumped the shark with T2 even though more revenue was made with the terrible sequal T3 (The decline after the shark jumping)

That's why you people dont understand this thread. That pretty much sums it up. And bladewing how bout you start making arguments instead of quoting me and making one word statements.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

but thats largely a view that people cannot always agree on. for your example T3 was my favorite movie of the series.

Kristina loken was SUCH A BABE. And Salvation was fantastic, so the Terminator series have never "jumped the shark" for me

[hide]loken.jpg[/hide]

This is the only time the shark has been truly jumped.

217291.jpg

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

but thats largely a view that people cannot always agree on. for your example T3 was my favorite movie of the series.

Kristina loken was SUCH A BABE. And Salvation was fantastic, so the Terminator series have never "jumped the shark" for me

[hide]loken.jpg[/hide]

This is the only time the shark has been truly jumped.

217291.jpg

Wow T3 was your favorite of the series...... you have lost your right to argue with me I will not respond to any of your posts on this thread after hearing that T3 is your favorite in the series.

And let me guess you like Avatar by James Cameron and hated Inglorious Bastards.

And that you loved the prequels in the star wars movies but you don't like the old ones because they were too slow.

Ever seen Schindlers List, well don't you wont like it.

And the My sisters keeper movie was no doubt emotionally deep for you as well.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

I doubt RS will have as many players as it has had in the past unless they go FULL 3D. By that I mean 1st person view using W-A-S-D for movement, etc.

Ultima Online had 200k+ users at its peak which was from '99 to around '01 now there are about 2k users online at any given time on a PRIVATE SERVER, since the game itself has pretty much been abandoned.

RS actually stole many players from UO's playerbase back in the day and now they are losing it to other, "better" games.

Lets get realistic now and face it, the RS1 graphics were cute and had a funny feel to it. The RS2 graphics, wether they continue to update them and what-not, suck large donkey gonads. There is no charm about choppy delayed movement.

Like I say. Although it probably never will happen. If they follow with the times, and they aren't doing that with their crap graphics, they will survive the test of time. Otherwise they will end up like Ultima Online. Those of you who are old enough know what I'm talking about when I say that a game with 200k regular users can EASILY boil down to 10% or even 1% of its playerbase within 1 year.

Not saying its going to happen now. But it will happen if they don't get their finger out of their butt and stop feeling so smug about their oh-so-cutting-edge java graphics which nobody, honestly, nobody is impressed about anyway, save Javascript fans.

Lord knows they have the resources to start with a clean slate and make RS3 a real 3D game. I just don't see it happening what with their infatuation with making a science fiction game who's website, by the way, has not seen an update in months. I will literally roll on the floor dying with laughter if Stellar Dawn, their brand spanking new game, is released with the Runescape engine. Really, I would. It wouldn't be shooting onesself in the foot. It would be ordering a nuclear strike right in ones face.

Just my 2 cents.

I doubt RS will have as many players as it has had in the past unless they go FULL 3D. By that I mean 1st person view using W-A-S-D for movement, etc.

Ultima Online had 200k+ users at its peak which was from '99 to around '01 now there are about 2k users online at any given time on a PRIVATE SERVER, since the game itself has pretty much been abandoned.

RS actually stole many players from UO's playerbase back in the day and now they are losing it to other, "better" games.

Lets get realistic now and face it, the RS1 graphics were cute and had a funny feel to it. The RS2 graphics, wether they continue to update them and what-not, suck large donkey gonads. There is no charm about choppy delayed movement.

Like I say. Although it probably never will happen. If they follow with the times, and they aren't doing that with their crap graphics, they will survive the test of time. Otherwise they will end up like Ultima Online. Those of you who are old enough know what I'm talking about when I say that a game with 200k regular users can EASILY boil down to 10% or even 1% of its playerbase within 1 year.

Not saying its going to happen now. But it will happen if they don't get their finger out of their butt and stop feeling so smug about their oh-so-cutting-edge java graphics which nobody, honestly, nobody is impressed about anyway, save Javascript fans.

Just my 2 cents.

Runescape has the greatest graphics of all time and Jagex is gifted by god, RS will never die and will grow larger then WOW and CoD combined.

wow my finger really smells for some reason????

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

Wow T3 was your favorite of the series...... you have lost your right to argue with me I will not respond to any of your posts on this thread after hearing that T3 is your favorite in the series.

And let me guess you like Avatar by James Cameron and hated Inglorious Bastards.

And that you loved the prequels in the star wars movies but you don't like the old ones because they were too slow.

Ever seen Schindlers List, well don't you wont like it.

And the My sisters keeper movie was no doubt emotionally deep for you as well.

Way too assume! I love film and Cinema, and T3 is a personal favorite of mine, that being said,

Here's some classics from DVD collection. Schindlers List is on the right stack, between The Seventh Seal and The Wizard of Oz. You'll see quite a few Foreign Films in that stack from the Criterion Label and films with actors ranging from Gretta Garbo to James Dean - that classic enough for you? ;)

0210010122.jpg

Yeah, I like T3, It wasn't jumping the shark to me, Sorry my views don't align with yours - but you really should be careful when you assume next time.

I'm an Ardent collector of Classic Star Wars stuff, and have been working on cast signatures for quite awhile now. I believe i'm 74 or so signatures into the cast. Every Cast member from Principal to Stuntman to Alien,Rebel, Imperial will be mine (Except Jack Purvis, I can think of better ways to drop 4 Grand for a guy who played a chief jawa and an ewok.)

Abraham Lincoln

I dont like T3 because it is a carbon copy of T2 that was made in order to rake in money. As far as the movie goes (in my opinion) its bad watev if it floats ur boat so be it.

But you cant argue with the fact that Troll 2 is an amazing movie just look at this fine display of line delivery

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

I actually want Troll 2 On Blu Ray, I am eccentric. I wont go above $10 though. haha

Bahahahahaha

I've thought runescape would die like 4 or 5 times now, if it can survive removal of RWT, it will survive adding it back.

Abraham Lincoln

lulz, let's get back on topic :P

Abraham Lincoln

I actually want Troll 2 On Blu Ray, I am eccentric. I wont go above $10 though. haha

Bahahahahaha

I've thought runescape would die like 4 or 5 times now, if it can survive removal of RWT, it will survive adding it back.

FFS the issue is not whether it will "survive", the issue is whether or not it will "decline" in quality ...

Lurn UR memes! <_<

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Maybe in a sense of their attitude. Before, they brought up updates and that was it. Now, they organise events, give prizes and make contests. While some things are good, I think they have adopted the typical commercial attitude of "We are great, buy us" that makes me think they have jumped the shark. Before, they just did what they had to do. Now they put everything as it was perfect and pink.

Not sure if I made my point, but that is it.

mitsubishi64.jpeg

Click my main sig to see my fakes :D

Proud to be Mexican, yay!

Maybe in a sense of their attitude. Before, they brought up updates and that was it. Now, they organise events, give prizes and make contests. While some things are good, I think they have adopted the typical commercial attitude of "We are great, buy us" that makes me think they have jumped the shark. Before, they just did what they had to do. Now they put everything as it was perfect and pink.

Not sure if I made my point, but that is it.

So -- you're saying it seems more like "smoke and mirrors" as opposed to content?

nyuseg.png

/thread

The OP is not saying this. at all and neither am I.

In your opinion the OP and I both believe that middle aged men of around fourty are DYING OMFG.

The game has passed its peak and will start to decline slowly, just like you are dying the second you are born.

Bladewing, what I mean by people like me understanding this thread is that this thread is not about how many people join/leave/return to the game but the quality of the game and the evolution of the game. Sure, more people can join everyday. Hell the population on Rs could double tomorrow and Jagex still jumped the shark because of the radical game changing updates that they have recently implemented. With the addition of the fact that there are no more skills that could fit into the game, the only remaining outlet for updates is quests but many people don't even give quests a second glance, and that questing is not a huge timetaker. In general what the OP and I are saying is that in terms of the quality of the game and the development of the game, The shark has been jumped.

Here is a great example.

The terminator movie series jumped the shark with T2 even though more revenue was made with the terrible sequal T3 (The decline after the shark jumping)

That's why you people dont understand this thread. That pretty much sums it up. And bladewing how bout you start making arguments instead of quoting me and making one word statements.

See, see, THIS is what I don't get. How can you claim that they've "jumped the shark" if the numbers go UP? The way I see it, they've jumped the shark when the ratio of players entering the game vs players leaving the game is about 1:1. It's declining if there are more players leaving the game then entering the game.

The only other option is if you subjectively classify what counts as "jumping the shark" based off of what you think of the new updates, etc, in which case I could probably make a case for RS2 being jumping the shark because of the change to the PVP system. Classic RS was declining, ergo JaGex made RS2. Insert biased/sentimental/nostalgic rant/argument here.

Oh and counter-argument to half the "jump the shark" stuff on this thread to prove it really depends on point of view:

10k give away. Obviously means Jagex can afford to throw that kind of money away, so they are.

Free Trade/Wilderness. China disallowing gold selling or Jagex actually being able to back their claim on the whole bot catching thing.

More events/Less actual content: This is Jagex actually taking more of an interest in their community, quite a positive thing.

I will admit though, free trade/wilde coming back could be argued as a potential sign of "jumping the shark," but the most supportive I think a rational person can be of that claim is it's simply too early to tell. Personally, I blame the free trade/wilde coming back on gold farming being banned in China and the 10k give away just compliments that. Assume that RuneScape hasn't jumped the shark and has simply reached a state where, for whatever reason, they can safely bring back free trade and the wilderness. Why in the hell would they NOT milk it for every single penny and new/return customer you can get out of it?

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.