Has Runescape "Jumped the Shark"?

Blyaunte

97 members have voted

1. 1. Has Runescape Jumped the Shark?

• Yes
    • No
    • Still too early to tell

Defintion:- "Jumping the Shark" is an idiom used to denote when a particular production effort has surpassed its relevance and reached a point of decline in quality from which it is incapable of recovering ...

"It's a moment a defining moment when you know that your favourite [insert media format here] has reached its peak. That instant that you know, from now on, it's all downhill. Some call it the "climax". We call it 'Jumping the Shark.' From that moment on, the program will simply never be the same."

In light of the recent developments in Runescape, in particular now that it appears that the whole referendum and the subsequent vote to "Bring Back the Wilderness and Free Trade", appears to have been little more than a stunt aimed at drawing in erstwhile investors to pony up cash for Jagex, does it now appear to anyone else that Runescape has "Jumped the Shark"?

:unsure:

nyuseg.png

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you don't have to say discuss

doomsayers have been saying this since 2004 or earlier, so i'm gonna say no.

runescape for me is more fun than ever, and at least 5 people i know irl have started playing again due to the recent updates.

A game that is showing persistent growth in profits and membership numbers and shows no signs of wavering in popularity anytime soon?

No wouldn't say we passed the peak yet.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Depends on how you wanna play the game.. my guess is 2011 will be the biggest year for Jagex with Stellar Dawn upcoming and so :P

IMO, no.

new_account6.png

What are you smoking...? Can I buy some?
Hah Tip.It probaly knows more about Runescape then Jagex. :lol:

Watch my Vice city stunt vid -->

No, imo the game got a lot better on the 1st of feb despite the problems the freedom is worth it. To me its the start of a new era and I don't see rs dying anytime soon. Like blade said people have been saying this for years, with almost every update someone crys that judgement day has arrived, why so pessemistic?

Bbk.png

For a far more detailed example of the term:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JumpingTheShark

Anyway, I don't think it has. Not yet, at least. Once all stats hit 120 and all players seem to be dissatisfied, to some extent, with new content, then ya. We may have Jumped the shark. But, for now, no. It's too early to tell.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

The whole point of the OP's argument is that Runescape was not attracting enough new customers. So in order to get more they added the free trade and wildy update. Sure, its true that right now there is more traffic but that is because Jagex"Jumped the shark" in the words of the OP. Not that its a bad thing but I cant see any more huge updates that could be possible with the addition of DG, and the return of free trade and wildy. Ok so more quests and levels of GDWD can be added and more minigames can come out but there cannot be any more HUGE fundamentally game changing updates like this last one. So in that respect the OP is right, the game cannot move much more forward. RS will not die but you will not see nearly as many new players as time goes on as interest in RS dies down again.

And Bladewing learn how to read, he is not saying the game is dying but only at a peak were the other updates wont compare and the game will decline. That's not "Doomsday" talk buddy

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

It's all to a matter of interpretation. Just because one person doesn't like something, they haven't 'jumped the shark' as you put it. It's more or less when a larger percentage of players feel dissatisfied with something which would cause any games inevidible downfall.

j0xPu5R.png

And Bladewing learn how to read, he is not saying the game is dying but only at a peak were the other updates wont compare and the game will decline. That's not "Doomsday" talk buddy

1. i neither said nor implied OP said game is dying

2. i never said anything about doomsday

Jagex, in their desire to attract investment has, quite possibly, pushed their limits as to what they can and cannot achieve in the future. Obviously this was a planned effort and it was planned for the purposes of attracting much-needed funding for "future development".

Thing is who's going to have the say-so as to what those "future developments" are? Jagex's current management or the non-gaming bean counters who want maximum return on their investment?

Will there be more updates? Sure. But can they now push the limit of what they can do in the future? Or will they be held back? I don't know.

My question is, is it downhill from here?

nyuseg.png

For a far more detailed example of the term:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JumpingTheShark

Anyway, I don't think it has. Not yet, at least. Once all stats hit 120 and all players seem to be dissatisfied, to some extent, with new content, then ya. We may have Jumped the shark. But, for now, no. It's too early to tell.

NOOOOO TVTROPES

a70c7.png

According to this graph, Runescape's been in decline for some time:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/runescape.com

And here's an interesting article written by an ex-JMod (supposedly)

http://tech.massivel...rns-to-the-wild

That graph means nothing, here is the correct description for it (from alexa):

"Percent of global Internet users who visit runescape.com"

It would be a good way of saying that Runescape is declining if the amount of global Internet users has been the same since RuneScape.com went live.

But as everyone knows, the amount of users on the internet grows significantly every year.

1. i neither said nor implied OP said game is dying

2. i never said anything about doomsday

Doomsayers lol, well Doom is a totally bad fate, you compared the OP to a doomsayer therefore you implied that he was one. When he is not, he is just saying the game will decline.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

Jumped the shark?

Who makes this crap up and then tries to get everybody else to talk like that?

Catch phrases on wikipedia are a joke.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

doomsayer != doomsday

face it you didn't read it and now you look like a fool. stop rationalizing it :thumbup:

And regardless of weather I read carefully or not I'm right, a doomsayer is someone who speaks of a doomsday buddy.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg